Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

One reason to hate advertising (In Microsoft sites)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Normally Microsoft sites open pleasingly fast, but Get This: I went to read the latest MSDN mag and they have images from following places in the SAME article:

doubleclick.net
    bcentral.com
    cmpnet.com

So what is the big deal?

Would you believe that in the time I waited that article to open I actually 1) opened another window 2) went to CHM downloads 3) downloaded the entire mag in 2 MB .chm 4) opened it.. and then I see the ad-plagued URL finally opens soon after!

question:

What is your favorite time tested ad block solution for IE?

It should be simple to install, not require configuring, not cause subtle problems or block non-ads and maintenance free. It should only block ads, and be totally transparent (ie no tray icons, tool bars etc).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Does anyone care? Yes, apparently someone does Smiley

• User profile image
    androidi

For a moment I thought about mentioning that I've used HOSTS in past but figured that the wishes/conditions are not quite fullfilled by that and no one would offer the hosts approach.

For it to work you have to a) install web server b) schedule some update for the file c) I want to block ads, not redirect domains. etc

Funny how the Singularity article in the same mag talks about latency and how Larry Osterman just wrote about how many roundtrips are bad.. Then you have these silly ad-servers and MS Connect do just that and make loading of pages really slow.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Nononono... you don't have to install anything. You'll just have to live with 404 pages where the ads were supposed to be.

This if I understood your problem correctly...

• User profile image
    sbc

I use SpywareBlaster. It blocks ActiveX spyware and cookies from ad sites. It adds 'bad' sites to the restricted sites list. The page may load, but no JavaScript, ActiveX etc is run.

• User profile image
    Rowan

androidi wrote:
    Normally Microsoft sites open pleasingly fast, but Get This: I went to read the latest MSDN mag and they have images from following places in the SAME article:

Have you tried loading Live Mail recently? I prefer to use Live Mail in Firefox, because I can litterally remove the ads from a simple right click menu, this gives you more space and faster loading, and of course it's easier on the eyes.

Be prepared to be flooded with a lot more ads in the future, Microsoft is going to try harder to advertise on the web. I wouldn't be surprised to see an ad or two on C9 in the future.

• User profile image
    fredruiyizh​ang

I don't think they will put any ads on MSDN and C9. Advertising on developer-oriented websites makes no sense.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.