Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

New build of Windows Live Messenger beta

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Woo! A new build of WLM beta has pushed itself down to me, and this one actually looks good!

Still too much wasted space for my tastes, but they're going for the Vista-ish glassy look, which is nice, and also allow you to pick a color theme which is also nice. It hasn't crashed yet, which is in improvement.

I still feel that other than Offline messages, I haven't seen any compelling reason to upgrade. Given that, I do have some beta invitations that no-one seems to want. Any takers?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Yggdrasil wrote:
    Woo! A new build of WLM beta has pushed itself down to me, and this one actually looks good!

They put the green icons back, darnit. Blue was so much nicer.

I hope this version has fixed the bug where entire conversations don't get saved if your connection drops mid way through.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

One thing I have noticed is that if you reply multiple times in a row it stacks the message:

David: Hello
    World
    How are you?

instead of

David: Hello
    David: World
    David: How are you?

Unless of course I just missed this before. I agree on the wasted space. 

• User profile image
    littleguru

What the version of the new build?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

littleguru wrote:

What the version of the new build?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ok. Thanks. That's my current installed version.

• User profile image
    zokbari

I agree.
    It's awesome upgrade!

beautiful.

• User profile image
    dahat

It is just me or do the new sounds cause physical pain?

I hates them!

Also... there is still too much on the UI... of course I've come to expect this from Messenger over the years.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Mess.be has a nice tool to tweak the current version of the Live Messenger... You should check it out: It allows to minimize the visible components on the UI.

*with silent voice* it allows also to remove the advertisement banner Smiley

• User profile image
    CoLD FiRe

Yggdrasil wrote:

I still feel that other than Offline messages, I haven't seen any compelling reason to upgrade.

LOL, you are acting like it costs money to upgrade.
    I mean why wouldn’t you upgrade if something’s totally free and seems just as stable as the previous version and also adds new features? And the new UI that’s shown in this build imo looks a lot nicer than msn 7.5.

Here are some reasons why I like msn 8. And why I think its worth using.

Its contacts details are a major improvement over msn 7.5 coz now you can add lots of details to your contacts including notes.

You can give them customs names that overwrite there nicknames.

It now neatly displays there nick name, tagline and EMAIL!!! on the contacts main window/msns main window all at once.

I like the new feature on how it removes the “contacts says:”. And if you don’t like it, you can turn it off. So it’s NOT a problem.

For people like me that have about 200 contacts the Search Filter is GOD sent. Also you can add keywords to the contacts, which then the search filter will look through as well.

Offline Messages are handy.

It of course links to the new live services such as the new contact cards and friends lists.

And the shared folders are pretty handy as well.

Umm and some little things that you might have overlooked are....

When you have a contact window open, you can now click into there email displayed under there nickname and copy and paste it.

When there are multiple contacts in a convo and some aren’t on your msn list, you can now right click on them and add them.

It can now display contacts from your hotmail/live address books in the main window. So that you can simply double click them and start up a blank email addressed to them.

So there’s my list of reasons to upgrade.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

where are the screen shots?

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum
  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

CoLD FiRe wrote:
    LOL, you are acting like it costs money to upgrade.

Not money, but there is a price to upgrading. There are things about the new UI I don't like. There are lots of things I could do without.
    The only reason I started using MSN 7.0 (or was it 7.5?) was because of the Now Playing feature - it was a killer feature for me and enough to move back to MSN from Miranda. There's probably a Miranda plug-in that does it by now, and if WLM8 doesn't offer me any compelling reason to use it (and Glass is simply not enough) then I'm going back to Miranda. Offline messages are nice but not enough. Annoying, intrusive UI is reason enough to switch.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

yep looks MUCH nicer, isn't as sluggish as the previous build, i like that stacking of consecutive messages by the same person, and I also like the new sounds Smiley

good work

• User profile image
    pacelvi

leeappdalecom wrote:
    yep looks MUCH nicer, isn't as sluggish as the previous build, i like that stacking of consecutive messages by the same person, and I also like the new sounds

good work

I agree.. MSN Team: great job !

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.