Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects  released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

    This is how it should have been in the first place ...

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    I actually prefer the new model of VS2005. It has some advantages if you use multiple computers to work on the same web site.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    blowdart wrote:
    This is how it should have been in the first place ...


    I was told these were going to be part of VS2005SP1, still.... I think I speak for the majority of ASP.NET devs when I say "Halleighula!"

  • User profile image
    sbc

    Sven Groot wrote:
    I actually prefer the new model of VS2005. It has some advantages if you use multiple computers to work on the same web site.

    Although I don't use Visual Studio, I do prefer the file system model to a project one with web sites. Basically I just upload via an FTP client rather than use compile & deploy (or whatever VS uses).

    I have base libraries with basic classes which control data access and have common functions, with compilation done through a batch file (with the dll copied to the bin directory via another batch file). The files are checked in to an SVN repository when the compilation batch script is run.

    I don't like to depend on an IDE for development (which I assume you do when you start developing with Visual Studio).

  • User profile image
    irascian

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    blowdart wrote: This is how it should have been in the first place ...


    I was told these were going to be part of VS2005SP1,


    It is but they've just made it available earlier because a lot of people are clammering for it. Without this (we used the preview and then the release candidate) we couldn't have migrated some of our bigger web applications over to .NET 2. This add-in at least enables you to get the code across to .NET 2 quickly before you start reworking it to take advantage of the new .NET 2 stuff.

    As others have pointed out, it's long overdue and will hopefully accellerate the move to VS2005.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    irascian wrote:

    As others have pointed out, it's long overdue and will hopefully accellerate the move to VS2005.


    And it adds another entry to the splash screen. BONUS!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    blowdart wrote:
    irascian wrote:
    As others have pointed out, it's long overdue and will hopefully accellerate the move to VS2005.


    And it adds another entry to the splash screen. BONUS!


    There's a registry key for those, IIRC.

  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

    There seem to be a lot of these addons for VS, is there a big list anywhere?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.