Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New Apple Ads

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    earnshaw

Very good set of ads from Apple at http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/?restarting_medium

Not necessarily the whole truth, but entertaining.  Making Windows and Windows applications easy to use simply is not a priority, in my experience.

• User profile image
    Rowan

That left a huge grin on my face. Big Smile

I can't say I know what they're talking about though, can't remember the last time my PC crashed.

I'm not too fond of companies trying to say how great their product is by trying to put down their competition; if your product is better then show me what it does, otherwise it means litterally nothing to me.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Rowan wrote:
    That left a huge grin on my face.

I can't say I know what they're talking about though, can't remember the last time my PC crashed.

I'm not too fond of companies trying to say how great their product is by trying to put down their competition; if your product is better then show me what it does, otherwise it means litterally nothing to me.

Yeah, I liked the ad. But yeah, all of their ad campaigns are just FUD. Just look at those Intel ads. Instead of saying how it will improve Apple computers, it went to the direction "Windows sux". Maybe ChrisA will start doing Apple ads, and well just start seeing "Windows is dead." on the front door of every Apple store Smiley

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

The ads were entertaining, but I was disappointed in the jabs at Windows. From what I hear, the Switch campaign they ran a few years back proved to be far less successful than they had hoped, while the Think Different campaign was far more successful. It would seem to me that the reason for this could largely be similar to something I said earlier about trolling: if you want to get other people to look at what you're advocating, a really bad way to do it is to tell them that what they use is inferior or evil.

• User profile image
    jamie

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Manip

lmao jamie... too funny... Your going to get sued Tongue Out

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Nice one Jamie, so when your C9 interview?

• User profile image
    Shiv

another great post from jamie Smiley .

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Restarting? since when?
    Viruses? Well duh they're written for Windows! In the last year I've only gotten 1 or maybe 2viruses that were immediately caught by Norton.
    iLife?  Sure, it is pretty simple to use, but just because iLife is good doesn't mean everything else is bad.  Plus, the iPod is "compatible" with any audio/video editing software, just like any other hard drive media player.
    Reviews? Everything will have both good and bad reviews.
    Better? How is any modern OS better at editing video than another? After all it’s the programs that do that.
    Now Apple is just playing dirty.  I hate campaigns like this.  “My opponent sucks!  I rock! Vote for meee!”

edit:
    from apple.com "Since Mac OS X engineers aren’t busy damming a flood of viruses, they have the time to think up amazing new technology. Like Dashboard widgets, mini-applications offering a world of capabilities just a keystroke away. Or a built-in RSS news reader. "
    okay, no! Obviously they imply that Microsoft can't get any good things out because of the viruses, but also they assert that they invented the dashboard. no, just no. widgets.yahoo.com was there way before the Dashboard.Mad

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    Restarting? since when?
    Viruses? Well duh they're written for Windows! In the last year I've only gotten 1 or maybe 2viruses that were immediately caught by Norton.
    iLife?  Sure, it is pretty simple to use, but just because iLife is good doesn't mean everything else is bad.  Plus, the iPod is "compatible" with any audio/video editing software, just like any other hard drive media player.
    Reviews? Everything will have both good and bad reviews.
    Better? How is any modern OS better at editing video than another? After all it’s the programs that do that.
    Now Apple is just playing dirty.  I hate campaigns like this.  “My opponent sucks!  I rock! Vote for meee!”

Uh-oh... This is showing the makings of another C9 holy war. Except this time, it's regarding something we all believe...

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

I love how Apple is bragging about all the free software a Mac comes with but when Microsoft does the same thing they get sued for being a Monopoly.

Boggles the mind.

• User profile image
    Manip

JeremyJ wrote:
    I love how Apple is bragging about all the free software a Mac comes with but when Microsoft does the same thing they get sued for being a Monopoly.

Boggles the mind.

That might be down to the fact that Microsoft are a monopoly but Apple are not.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Manip wrote:

JeremyJ wrote: I love how Apple is bragging about all the free software a Mac comes with but when Microsoft does the same thing they get sued for being a Monopoly.

Boggles the mind.

If Apple isnt a monopoly, I'd like you to point out the Macs avalible on the following OEM's websites:
    Dell
    HP
    Lenovo

I'd also like you to point out how a user can get a song downloaded in Apple's closed format iTunes to play on WMP, Real, etc etc without using a third party app. Also how I can get my WMAs to play on the iPod. (I dont own an iPod nor do I ever plan to buy one, so this last part is what I get off the news and tech sites)

• User profile image
    pwzeus

hahahah to good

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

Honda is selling more cars than Chevy. 

OMG Honda must be a Monopoly! 

They are selling cars with CD players. 

That is not fair to the other CD player manufacturers out there. 

Honda can no longer sell cars with CD players because they are a Monopoly but everyone else can.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Jason Cox wrote:
    Manip wrote:
    JeremyJ wrote: I love how Apple is bragging about all the free software a Mac comes with but when Microsoft does the same thing they get sued for being a Monopoly.

Boggles the mind.

If Apple isnt a monopoly, I'd like you to point out the Macs avalible on the following OEM's websites:
    Dell
    HP
    Lenovo

I'd also like you to point out how a user can get a song downloaded in Apple's closed format iTunes to play on WMP, Real, etc etc without using a third party app. Also how I can get my WMAs to play on the iPod. (I dont own an iPod nor do I ever plan to buy one, so this last part is what I get off the news and tech sites)

I'd accept the iPod point*,  but the Macs thing is ridiculous, wherelse can you buys Dells except from Dell?

(*) If Apple had not previously licensed this technology to HP.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Rossj wrote:
    I'd accept the iPod point*,  but the Macs thing is ridiculous, wherelse can you buys Dells except from Dell?

(*) If Apple had not previously licensed this technology to HP.
    The Dell/HP/Lenovo thing was to illustrate a point that if you want to buy a Mac, you have to buy it through Apple, as such Apple holds a monopoly on Mac hardware sales. Not that I have a problem with it, but that was the point that Apple does hold a monopoly or two.

• User profile image
    Manip

Jason Cox wrote:
    Dell
    HP
    Lenovo

A monopoly is "a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller" or a legal monopoly is a market in which there are many buyers but a seller controls 80% of the market or more.

The fact that Apple don't sell to OEMs does not make them a monopoly. It is their right not to sell to OEMs.

Here is a question... What does a song download have to do with Apple's operating system and what software is bundled with it?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.