Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

1.1 and 2.0 working together, can I do that?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sgomez

Here's the thing... some time ago I developed a winform app with .net 1.0, the moved to 1.1. This app is pretty well designed since with different "packages" inside.

Now my client wants to go web, so I was thinking since the app works just fine, to build a dll in 1.1 with my working classes and a ASP.net 2.0 front end wich "consumes" the dll.

I hope I made myself clear. The thing is, can I do that? can I have a ASP.Net 2.0 "talking" to a .net 1.1 dll??

Any other ideas will be also apreciated

Thanks
    .seb
    --
    http://sgomez.blogspot.com

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

That depends if you have .NET 1.1 installed (for .NET 1.1 Assembly) or not. If you have, is not a problem. If you don't have you may have problems, this depends on what you are using from BCL.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Try it, should only take 10 minutes.

Make a 1.1 Class Library with a class that simply returns a string "Hello World".

Make a 2.0 Class Library that references the 1.1 dll, and try and bring back that "Hello World"... Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ion Todirel wrote:
    That depends if you have .NET 1.1 installed (for .NET 1.1 Assembly) or not.

Whether you have .Net 1.1 makes no difference. If the application loading the assembly is using the 2.0 runtime, then the assembly will too. In this case, if he's using ASP.NET 2.0, all referenced assemblies will be run using the .Net 2.0 runtime regardless of what runtime they were compiled against.

In 99.9% of the cases this should just work though.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Sven Groot wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote: That depends if you have .NET 1.1 installed (for .NET 1.1 Assembly) or not.

Whether you have .Net 1.1 makes no difference. If the application loading the assembly is using the 2.0 runtime, then the assembly will too. In this case, if he's using ASP.NET 2.0, all referenced assemblies will be run using the .Net 2.0 runtime regardless of what runtime they were compiled against.

In 99.9% of the cases this should just work though.

True, I have been using my 1.1  biz framework (that also has references to the MS 1.1 Ent Lib) in my new 2.0 projects with no troubles for sometime now.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.