Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to protect CD/DVDs from scratching?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

please just don't say to be carefull.

EDIT: I renamed the original title of the thread "Stupid Question: How to protect CD/DVDs from scratching?" sorry.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Don't take them out of their sleeves. *snort*

But seriously... make a copy and use the copy.  Keep the original safe.

• User profile image
    erik_

Store them correctly in a box and not trow them on the table?

I have no scratches on my dvd and cds and the few there are on there are small ones which happen during a closing tray while I am trying to move the dvd or cd. Just make sure you always place them carefull back in the box, and don't put them upsidedown on the table.

Don't know if this is helpfull, but if you ask me there aren't any 'no scratches' sprays to apply to cd's or dvd's or any other tricks then just the carefull usage one.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Ion Todirel wrote:

please just don't say to be carefull.

But that's the best advice. Smiley

To be more specific, don't leave them out of the case when not in a player/drive. Dont touch the front or back. My favorite handling technique is index finger in the middle and thumb on the edge, with other fingers for additional control.

If it's music (or even DVDs), rip em and put them in a box or on a nice Boltz rack or two out of direct sunlight.

Don't lend them out to friends, especially ones that tend to leave their own disks out of the cases in piles on their dashboard with the car unlocked.

Also, don't have various network and USB cables dangling in front of your PC so that when you try to put a disk in the tray you end up having to maneuver it through them like Indiana Jones through the jungle.

• User profile image
    Angus

This post might help:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=108255#108255

Also, this website could help:

http://www.d-skin.com/

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Speaking of scratching, rappers used to scratch with turntables and vinyl records. I wonder if anybody has ever come up with a CD version of that type of player. I suppose they couldn't because the laser might blast somebody in the eye. And besides it would probably sound pretty strange.

• User profile image
    Michael McGaha

My problem isn't so much with scratches... I'm having a problem with photon buildup. How do ya'll clean all the built up excess photons off your discs and drives?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Speaking of scratching, rappers used to scratch with turntables and vinyl records. I wonder if anybody has ever come up with a CD version of that type of player.

Yep, they have, but they are clunky and since the CD spins super fast, it has to be 'faked' using fly-by-wire device.
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

I suppose they couldn't because the laser might blast somebody in the eye. And besides it would probably sound pretty strange.

A fun trick we used to do back in the day was to scratch (literally) the heck out of a cd until it skipped.  Then sample it and use the loop for a beat.  It was totally random, and usually sucked, but you could get some suprises once in a while.  It made good use of those crappy CDs that you bought for only one song.

Think of some of the tight sample loops used by Fatboy Slim and you'll know what I mean.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

"How to protect CD/DVDs from scratching?"

dont use them, use a usb dongle or a memory stick, they are much stronger and not subject to scratching

• User profile image
    Manip

martin_lovick wrote:

dont use them, use a usb dongle or a memory stick, they are much stronger and not subject to scratching

He's right. Those keys are damn near impossible to break.

• User profile image
    Michael McGaha

A warning about using the memory sticks though. I used to carry one in my billfold.... not a good idea.

On a related subject... if you tear apart a broken memory stick and pull the actual memory chip off the board it's AMAZING how small they are!

• User profile image
    Aestivalis

Ion Todirel wrote:

Stupid Question:please just don't say to be carefull.

First off there are no stupid questions, except the ones that are never asked. Anyway if you wanna keep your discs safe make sure that if your not going to make copies and your going to use theo originals that you take only one out at a time and then put it in your comp, cd player, etc. and then return it as soon as your done. This makes for a little more work certainly but it saves you from having to go and buy a new disc or getting frusterated when they dont work right. Other than that
    /me shrugs

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

thanks for replies niners

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Angus wrote:
    This post might help:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=108255#108255

Also, this website could help:

http://www.d-skin.com/

Angus Higgins

awesome, thanks

martin_lovick wrote:

i use (write) CD/DVDs, only for backup (somehow i still scrath them Smiley ) software, music, movies etc. i don't use DVDs to carry data with me (only sometimes), for that i use my nano.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

forget this:

Hard-coating technology

Because the Blu-ray standard places data so close to the surface of the disc, early discs were susceptible to dust and scratches and had to be enclosed in plastic caddies for protection.

The solution to this problem arrived in January 2004 with the introduction of a clear polymer coating that gives Blu-ray discs unprecedented scratch resistance. The coating, developed by TDK Corporation under the name "Durabis", allows BDs to be cleaned safely with only a tissue — a procedure that can damage current CDs and DVDs. Presumably HD DVDs are similarly frail, as they are manufactured by the same process as the older optical media. Bare BDs with the coating are reportedly able to withstand attack by a screwdriver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#_note-5">[6] TDK have used the same coating on their current range of "Scratchproof" DVD media. Recently, TDK has made the DURABIS2 coating, which can withstand being grinded with both Sandpaper and steel wool. It will be used on the Blu-ray exclusively.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.