Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Jamies Expertise needed

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

I would actually like to see if Jamie could do a review of the different file manager utilities such as the Finder in Mac OS X and Nautilus and Konqueror in Linux to see how well they stand up to Windows Vista's new capabilities.  Only if he has the time though.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

rjdohnert wrote:
    I would actually like to see if Jamie could do a review of the different file manager utilities such as the Finder in Mac OS X and Nautilus and Konqueror in Linux to see how well they stand up to Windows Vista's new capabilities.  Only if he has the time though.

Nautilus has nothing that beats XP's Windows Explorer while Konqueror rivals or surpassess it; though I wouldnt use it as a internet browser because of limited plugin support by vendors.

Nevertheless it isnt very fair to compare KDE 3.5 Konqueror over Windows Vista's new shell. Wait til early 2007 to compare KDE 4 against Windows Vista's desktop.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

KDE 3.5 is whats available now and what will be available when Windows Vista ships, so I think its fair to compare them.

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote:I would actually like to see if Jamie could do a review of the different file manager utilities such as the Finder in Mac OS X and Nautilus and Konqueror in Linux to see how well they stand up to Windows Vista's new capabilities.  Only if he has the time though.

Nautilus has nothing that beats XP's Windows Explorer while Konqueror rivals or surpassess it; though I wouldnt use it as a internet browser because of limited plugin support by vendors.

Nevertheless it isnt very fair to compare KDE 3.5 Konqueror over Windows Vista's new shell. Wait til early 2007 to compare KDE 4 against Windows Vista's desktop.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

In regards to the Finder in Mac OS X: There is a request that Mac users make of Apple so frequently that it has been shortened to the acronym FTFF—Fix The (take a wild guess) Finder. Many Mac users consider it inferior to the Mac OS 9 Finder. Personally, I think I prefer Windows Explorer from WinXP to the Finder (haven't used Vista's Explorer yet). Working with Windows Explorer via keyboard is easier than working with the Finder via keyboard. Delete Vs. Command-Delete, Enter Vs. Command-O, Backspace Vs. Command-Up, etc.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

rjdohnert wrote:
    KDE 3.5 is whats available now and what will be available when Windows Vista ships, so I think its fair to compare them.

Well the first technical preview will be released in October while Vista will be released in January. I figure KDE 4.0 will be in beta stage by January and perhaps we might see the final by Spring.

Developers are working on creating a radically new experience for KDE 4.0, that incorperates a new shell, concepts, and technology that could put current Gnome desktops to shame. Anyway, that is why I felt it would be a more fair comparison to Windows Vista.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    jamie

sure - send me a computer that can run osx and linux Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:
    sure - send me a computer that can run osx and linux

One of those new IMacs might do?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.