Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

What is UP with Cw?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Hi guys,
      I just was browsing the internet for what is up with C# 3.0, and I came across this page .

Its talking about a new language for microsoft. Has C# not proven itself to be a good language? Why make a new language? why not improve on C#?

What is special about C "Omega" that makes it nessissary to make a whole new language than C#? I thought C# and VB.NET are going to be the languages of the future.

I am confused right now Expressionless

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Most aspects of Cw are being incorporated into C# 3.0 (LINQ, etc)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Cω is a research language, and is used to research certain language aspects. And, like Paolo said, the results of that research were used to enhance C# (and VB).

• User profile image
    y2k4life

The site points to this as why or what?

Cω is an extension of C# in two areas:

- A control flow extension for asynchronous wide-area concurrency (formerly known as Polyphonic C#):

- A data type extension for XML and table manipulation (formerly known as Xen and as X#):

Along with the other post more than likely this discovery will become C# x.x. I also read Cw as an extension to C#. Does that mean c# is needed in order to make it work and that Cw does not replace it?

I guess I will have to download and find out.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.