Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cloning question

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

If the US/UK/Wherever you are from government approached you about giving them DNA to perform cloning experiments.  Would you do it?  I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Sort of a Boba Fett thing, then, eh?

I think I'd have to try to collect a fee, really.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

JohnAskew wrote:

Sort of a Boba Fett thing, then, eh?

I think I'd have to try to collect a fee, really.

meh.

At this rate, cloning is about the only way I'll pass on the prize genes that make me so personable...

• User profile image
    IRenderable

I don't understand why anyone would want to clone something, cloning food and cattle isn't a good thing, when one thing gets sick everything will get sick, then there will be a famine. Cloneing people, same thing.
    (I am assuming this is what you mean, unless you are talking just about doing it just for the sake of research, then I would let them have my DNA in a second.)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

And why would they ask you?  All it needs is a some human DNA, the researchers would just use their own -- it's only a mouth swab away, after all.

I have to say I fail to see the benefits of cloning, for the reasons IRenderable points out.  It would be useful for couples who cannot have children for various reasons, but I'm not sure that's worth all the money that's being spent.

Another issue is that replacing molecular DNA may not be enough -- we also carry maternal DNA in the mitochondria (cell structures that exist outside of the nucleus) and nobody's sure how important they may turn out to be.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Tensor

rjdohnert wrote:
    If the US/UK/Wherever you are from government approached you about giving them DNA to perform cloning experiments.  Would you do it?  I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No. I dont fancy handing over my DNA to the government for any purposes.

Interestignly in the UK if you are arrested the police can take a DNA sample and keep it on file forever - if they charge you with somthing or not.

Hurray for liberal democracy Perplexed

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Two of me?  Are you mad!

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Actually, I've always wanted a few of me to hang out with.  Trouble is, we'd all want the same job, and we'd fight over it.  I'd already come up with a set of rules ("I am the master template, you shall do as I command") long ago, just in case.

Person[People.length] = new person[0];
    // Minus one for C# zero basedness
    // Plus one for clone-spawning

• User profile image
    Red5

Me? not a chance.
    I can barely stand myself most days, let alone duplicate copies walking around.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.