Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sick

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

About 5 hours ago (9:30am GMT) I felt "strange", as time wore on I felt sick, the feeling you get in your stomach about 10 minutes before you throw-up.

Initially I thought it was just a simple anxiety attack, but this has been waging on for 5 hours now. But my controlled-breathing/heartrate exercises stopped me feeling overly bad. By 11am I decided to go home.

I decided to omit lunch (or anything besides drinking water) so I don't throw anything up, I think I just drank bad milk this morning or something (urban myth: if you feel sick, think about the most recent things you ate, the one that when thought about makes you feel the worse is probably what's making you ill).

But the thing is, I don't have that "up" feeling in the bottom of my mouth (that preceeds vomiting by anything from a few minutes to a few seconds) and right now my stomache feels more painful for hunger than vom.

Still... this isn't very comfortable, can anyone suggest anything from the symptoms? (I understand there's a few doctors lurking here), as far as I can tell I don't have a fever/temperature and my extremities are rather cold, actually.

And to stop this thread from being declared spam, I'll open up the floor for anyone else to complain about their latest ailments.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

If you feel sick, you should eat something.  I find that if my body want to vomit, it's best if I let it get on with it. I generally feel bad until it gets its way.  The worst thing (in my opinion) is retching on an empty stomach when your body finally goes for it.

Herbie
    (PS I'm not a medical doctor, I'm a Phd).

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I'm not a doctor, either, but I'll play one on Channel 9. Any chance of it being an ulcer? And if it was bad milk or food, you may not hurl, but you'll probably feel it for a few hours (maybe even a day if it was food) as it travels through your system. I often get this with my cafeteria at work (which is why I rarely eat down there anymore). A few times I remember ordering pancakes from the grill area and every time they sort of "sat" in my stomach for half the day. I still didn't feel "quite right" until a full day later.

• User profile image
    BenZilla

OMG BIRD FLU!!! OR IS IT SARS!!! I forgot which 1 the media was pushing.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

BenZilla wrote:
    OMG BIRD FLU!!! OR IS IT SARS!!! I forgot which 1 the media was pushing.
    I've heard ebola turns your insides into something that resembles coffee grounds. That usually springs up every couple of years, too, although I don't think it is has ever occured in Britain. You know, now that I think about it, there was a case of bubonic plague in Los Angeles a while back. What exactly are your symptoms again?

• User profile image
    Manip

Feel better dude. Smiley

I felt sick a couple of days ago -- and I don't get sick often (I can count the number of times on one hand). I was all sleepless and dizzy, I ended up throwing up... After that I got to sleep and woke up feeling normal... It was a weired night. Sad

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

you might have aids?

• User profile image
    Manip

leeappdalecom wrote:
    you might have aids?

wtf?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    leeappdalecom wrote:you might have aids?

wtf?

...it isn't even funny, I know plenty of people who have lost friends and loved ones to HIV/AIDS.

• User profile image
    Manip

W3bbo wrote:

Manip wrote:
    leeappdalecom wrote: you might have aids?

wtf?

...it isn't even funny, I know plenty of people who have lost friends and loved ones to HIV/AIDS.

OK, but how did he get from a stomach bug to AIDs? Kind of a big jump don't you think? AIDs isn't that common in this country.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    OK, but how did he get from a stomach bug to AIDs? Kind of a big jump don't you think? AIDs isn't that common in this country.

No idea.

And it isn't a stomach bug until I get dirrohea..or something?

I feel slightly warmer, but I don't think I'm getting a fever.

• User profile image
    Minh

Eat anything with ginger in it. It's a digestive aide and calm that nausea feeling. If you can't find ginger, a peppermint candy will work also.

It's good if you get motion sickness easily also.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    Eat anything with ginger in it. It's a digestive aide and calm that nausea feeling. If you can't find ginger, a peppermint candy will work also.

It's good if you get motion sickness easily also.

I've got some 3 year-passed-expired Soda Stream ginger-ale concentrate.

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:
    About 5 hours ago (9:30am GMT) I felt "strange", as time wore on I felt sick, the feeling you get in your stomach about 10 minutes before you throw-up.

Initially I thought it was just a simple anxiety attack, but this has been waging on for 5 hours now. But my controlled-breathing/heartrate exercises stopped me feeling overly bad. By 11am I decided to go home.

I decided to omit lunch (or anything besides drinking water) so I don't throw anything up, I think I just drank bad milk this morning or something (urban myth: if you feel sick, think about the most recent things you ate, the one that when thought about makes you feel the worse is probably what's making you ill).

But the thing is, I don't have that "up" feeling in the bottom of my mouth (that preceeds vomiting by anything from a few minutes to a few seconds) and right now my stomache feels more painful for hunger than vom.

Still... this isn't very comfortable, can anyone suggest anything from the symptoms? (I understand there's a few doctors lurking here), as far as I can tell I don't have a fever/temperature and my extremities are rather cold, actually.

And to stop this thread from being declared spam, I'll open up the floor for anyone else to complain about their latest ailments.

Ask your sister. Tongue Out

If it is stomach pain, not sickness then you might want to see your GP as it could be iritable bowel syndrome, an intolerance, or a host of other problems; if it is sickness then you should probably try to eat things that aren't too substantial, possibly fruit; don't drink anything that isn't too unhealthy and get lots of sleep. If that doesn't help after a few days, maybe consider seeing your GP.

Angus Higgins (1st Channel 9 Birthday)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Angus wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:About 5 hours ago (9:30am GMT) I felt "strange", as time wore on I felt sick, the feeling you get in your stomach about 10 minutes before you throw-up.

Ask your sister.

...stalker

And she won't be back home for 3 more weeks.

Angus wrote:

If it is stomach pain, not sickness then you might want to see your GP as it could be iritable bowel syndrome, an intolerance, or a host of other problems; if it is sickness then you should probably try to eat things that aren't too substantial, possibly fruit; don't drink anything that isn't too unhealthy and get lots of sleep. If that doesn't help after a few days, maybe consider seeing your GP.

Well, as I said I think the pain's dying.... I think I'll be fine.

• User profile image
    Angus

I have a reasonable memory, if you don't want me to know that your sister is a medical student then don't post it in a place that is very easily viewed. Please do not accuse me of 'stalking' you.

I'm glad to hear that you will feel better. I suffered with stomach pain for over a year before being diagnosed.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Whatever you do, don't talk to a doctor.  They're all part of the secret plot by the CIA to read your mind from satellites.

Seriously, if anything, ask a doctor if the situation lasts too much longer.

• User profile image
    jmsma2005

If you are not feeling better, why not go to the nearest clinic or call your mother (say you know “mother’s day” is coming)? OR, call the girlfriend you love the most, this is really a good chance to attract her attention to you.

PS. I guess most doctors lurking here are psychiatric or psychological doctors and they can’t give you much help.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.