Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XBox 360 vs Playstation 3

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    amonteir

I thought we are due for another XBox 360 vs Playstation 3 discussion, now with all the E3 hype. From all the news i've been reading it seems like Sony is really mucking up the PS3 with its price.

• User profile image
    BenZilla

Oh man, if only Beer was still around(or is he Wink) He made a big topic ragging on the 360 for its price and said Sony's was going to be better.

Oh well, I still get the smug e-satisfaction that I was right in saying PS3 was going to be more expensive. And WILL NOT have an open system.

BUt I'm not getting either, it will be the wii for me, heck if I get 2 I can ask girls if they want to play with my wii wii Tongue Out Wink

• User profile image
    Massif

I'm tempted by the PS3 - but mainly as I'm convinced Blu-Ray will win the HD competition, and as such it'll be a cheap Blu-Ray player as well as a decent games console.

Plus if there's any interaction between it and my PSP then I want some of that too.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

BenZilla wrote:
    Oh man, if only Beer was still around(or is he ) He made a big topic ragging on the 360 for its price and said Sony's was going to be better.

Oh well, I still get the smug e-satisfaction that I was right in saying PS3 was going to be more expensive. And WILL NOT have an open system.

BUt I'm not getting either, it will be the wii for me, heck if I get 2 I can ask girls if they want to play with my wii wii

The PS3 is technologically superior to anything on the market to date but the fact it will cost as much as $600 for a full-featured system will definitely hurt Sony and keep the Xbox 360 at top.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Cryo

I watched the live stream of the Nintendo conference, and was grinning wide from the beginning to the end.

I've been rooting for the Wii due to the incredibly promising controller scheme, but was concerned that the control might handle badly. But after the conference, everything would seem to indicate that they've gotten everything so utterly, utterly right. Cool

And the whole thing seemed to have an air of joy, fun and progress about it.

Not to mention some really awesome spectacles. I could almost get one solely for the fencing bits in Red Steel alone. Cool

I might pick up a Microsoft or Sony console later in their lifetime if the price drops by a 100$ or two, but I know my name is going to be on top of the Wii preorder lists. Big Smile

• User profile image
    BenZilla

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    BenZilla wrote:Oh man, if only Beer was still around(or is he ) He made a big topic ragging on the 360 for its price and said Sony's was going to be better.

BUt I'm not getting either, it will be the wii for me, heck if I get 2 I can ask girls if they want to play with my wii wii

The PS3 is technologically superior to anything on the market to date but the fact it will cost as much as $600 for a full-featured system will definitely hurt Sony and keep the Xbox 360 at top.

Regards,
    Vincent

Hype machine has got ya Tongue Out If it is the most technologically advanced machine why do none of the games look better for example halo 3?

Btw KillZone2 was completly prerendered before you use that as an example.

Most of the graphics are going to be done on the graphics card, where the 360 and PS3 are evenly matched(it goes both ways in some areas) the Cell is certainly nice, but its not amazing for games.

• User profile image
    Cryo

jaylittle wrote:
    Nintendo is clearly done pushing technology over games

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Never mind, I didn't notice the all-important "done" there.

• User profile image
    BenZilla

And price is a major factor - I think there is a brillian qoute at the end of pirates of silcon valley when Jobs finds out about Windows 1.0:

Jobs: "Our stuff is better"
    Gates: "You don't get it, that doesn't matter"

Obviously he was refering to the price and the way consumers where gonna snap it up, it's funny it still applies to basically everything in the world.

• User profile image
    amonteir

jaylittle wrote:
    Technology isn't 100% relevant anyway.  Think about this:  The Nintendo DS is beating the bejesus out of the PSP, yet the PSP is clearly the more technologically advanced machine.  The original Gameboy lasted ten pluse years despite challenges from superior competitors like Atari, Sega and NEC.  Why you ask?

It's about the games folks.  That's the very same reason why the PS2 won the last round.  It is the very same reason why the PS3 will loose this round.  That and the fact that it has been overpriced out the a$$ and the fact that the lower priced PS3 model cannot be upgraded to the higher priced one (as you could with the XBOX 360 Core).

It'll be interesting to see how the Wii does in light of all this.  Nintendo is clearly done pushing technology over games and if they are successful, it means a lot of things will change in the gaming market of today.

I agree that PS2's games made a huge difference in the last round, however the main reason that the PS2 did so well was that it came out first and was already in everyone’s living room before the Xbox hit the market. Most gamers only buy only one console.

Personally, I am excited about Wii's technology but I doubt I will be running out to get a Wii once it’s released. Nintendo has really not been targeting adults much and playing around with little cartoon characters doesn't quite appeal to me.

• User profile image
    Cryo

There'll surely be games to cater to your tastes.

Nintendo has made it very clear that they're trying to cater to all age groups, and everything from casual gamers to the hardcore ones.

Check out the Red Steel trailer, nothing childish about that, and the promise of the greatest action in console FPSes so far. Smiley

• User profile image
    die-Sel

I have been a PS Fanboy since 1995, with the PS1, PS2 and PSP but for the love of god I  aint gonna get a PS3, its way 2 costly.

Am picking up my 360 this weekend with a few games and am gonna enjoy it. Sony have lost der minds, $600 for a console, i could build a PC and play all the latest games for $600.

• User profile image
    KevinB

die-Sel wrote:
    I have been a PS Fanboy since 1995, with the PS1, PS2 and PSP but for the love of god I  aint gonna get a PS3, its way 2 costly.

Am picking up my 360 this weekend with a few games and am gonna enjoy it. Sony have lost der minds, $600 for a console, i could build a PC and play all the latest games for $600.

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. But Sony haven't announced anything about their online play. ATM with xbox live you have to pay £60 in UK, not sure about US, and if Sony were to deliver a free online community then they could have the competitive edge.

I do believe though that it is too expensive and most content now seems to be completely cross platform except for the very very rare completely exclusive title.

Kevin

Also, where the hell is Rallisport Challenge 3!!!?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I'm getting a PS3 most definitely. HDTV support is the big one, but as a family guy I love the fact that the PS3 controllers are Bluetooth. No wires anywhere for the kids to trip over, or chew on. You can't complain about the games yet, we don't even know all of the games for it. But we do know quite a few of them.

• User profile image
    Refrax

has Sony said anything about the security that is in the system? with microsoft saying how good the security is on the 360 i have been keeping an eye out to see how long it takes to break (not counting the CD-Rom firmware hack to play xbox 1 games).

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

$400 for my 360 was bad enough... the PS3 is just breaking my bank.  No good.  I'll wait until its slightly less expensive, if that. 

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Don't forget the BlueRay support. Which means you won't have to buy a BlueRay player. That should save you God knows how much.

• User profile image
    andokai

Harlequin wrote:
    I'm getting a PS3 most definitely. HDTV support is the big one, but as a family guy I love the fact that the PS3 controllers are Bluetooth. No wires anywhere for the kids to trip over, or chew on. You can't complain about the games yet, we don't even know all of the games for it. But we do know quite a few of them.

Don't all 3 have wireless controllers?

Personally I think I'd favour Microsoft's offering. The console itself doesn't distinguish itself but the whole platform it offers appears superior. Being able to stream my content from my PC to my surround sound system is great. Plus they have a mature online platform and this idea of Xbox Live anywhere sounds very interesting.

As for the deciding by the controllers I think that's rather silly. If Nintendo's wand or Sonys sensors prove popular then any of the other players could bring out something similar. I seem to recall Nintendo moved first with rumble packs and analog sticks which Sony copied in the middle of the PS1s lifetime without any adverse reaction from anyone. Why should the wand be any different?

But my real question is this. Do you have to give the controller a few shakes when you finish with your Wii? :O

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.