Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SP2 Boot screen change

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    machocomacho

After installing SP2 network installer version on XP Home, the usual boot screen changed from a green progress bar to blue(like XP Pro) but it does not list what version of windows(home or pro) it just says Windows XP, nothing else. I know this is a pointless question and doesn't affect anything but maybe somebody could explain why it did this and if so, hopefully tell me somehow I have more advanced networking possibilities on an xp home machine.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Sorry but, to my knowledge, you don't have any more networking capabilities. They did this to try and bring closer pro and home. Especially since they have made a starter edition for countries that love Open-Source, countries that are in Asia.

But if you don't like the boot up screen you can always just go googling for a program that changes it, there are heaps of them.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

The sceptic in me says, why build six different versions of a binary localized in all supported languages for a very minor UI feature. The six editions I'm thinking of:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional Edition
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Windows XP Embedded
    Windows XP Starter Edition (the new Far East el cheapo version)

Without the 'XYZ Edition' tag you could possibly get away with not localising the 'Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation' tag. I note that the dates are no longer included in the copyright notice.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

You will also notice the copyright went from 2 lines to 1 with the copyright year removed Wink

• User profile image
    ghos

I hadn't seen mention about the color change so I thought I was seeing things when I noticed it was blue.  Nice to be reassured that my eyes weren't fooling me.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.