Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2005 and Transform filters?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Hope that's what they're called.  Regardless... Every time I apply a filter to a style in Visual Studio, I get this:

'filter' is not a known CSS property name. l:\DamnedNice.com\StyleSheet.css 88 2 l:\DamnedNice.com\

This occurs regardless of the filter I use.  For example, some specifically supported in the MSDN library:

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha( Opacity=100, FinishOpacity=100, Style=2, StartX=0, FinishX=60, StartY=0, FinishY=50);

Any ideas?   I'd like to get it to recognize them, but optimally I'd really like intellisense.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Hope that's what they're called.  Regardless... Every time I apply a filter to a style in Visual Studio, I get this:

'filter' is not a known CSS property name. l:\DamnedNice.com\StyleSheet.css 88 2 l:\DamnedNice.com\

This occurs regardless of the filter I use.  For example, some specifically supported in the MSDN library:

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha( Opacity=100, FinishOpacity=100, Style=2, StartX=0, FinishX=60, StartY=0, FinishY=50);

Any ideas?   I'd like to get it to recognize them, but optimally I'd really like intellisense.

They are not part of the CSS spec in any way, shape or form. Now that VS is nicely trying to validate against standards  (real standards not just M$ ones) you will get the errors/warnings your are seeing.

The MSDN library is certainly not the place to find real standards as far as the web is concerned. You should check out the W3C site.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I find that those filters aren't applied always to a web site. If you browse to www.opf3.com with IE I'm using such a filter for the gradient in the top. But sometimes, for some reasons (and I really don't know why - because I even inlined the style) it does not apply.

Even IE doesn't do them properly...

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

So, what, they just started them in IE 5.5 and they're gonna go away with 7?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru wrote:
    I find that those filters aren't applied always to a web site. If you browse to www.opf3.com with IE I'm using such a filter for the gradient in the top. But sometimes, for some reasons (and I really don't know why - because I even inlined the style) it does not apply.

Even IE doesn't do them properly...

Did you specify the width?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

SlackmasterK wrote:
    So, what, they just started them in IE 5.5 and they're gonna go away with 7?

I sure hope so, there is no reason to use them and I hope the IE team will ditch those page transformations too.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

ZippyV wrote:

SlackmasterK wrote: So, what, they just started them in IE 5.5 and they're gonna go away with 7?

I sure hope so, there is no reason to use them and I hope the IE team will ditch those page transformations too.

I dunno about you, but I'd prefer a browser-level filter to the process of modifying every image on the website, unless there's a better way to apply procedural textures and opacity to an object.

To clarify, I'm not looking for animation, transitions, etc.; those are annoying. Rather, effects to provide a more polished look (When used properly).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.