Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

FedEx trust their customers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html

"FedEx was glad to assist in Lucky and Flo's first live test in a working situation. They were amazingly successful at identifying packages containing DVDs, which were opened and checked by HM Customs' representatives. While all were legitimate shipments on the day, our message to anyone thinking about shipping counterfeit DVDs through the FedEx network is simple: you're going to get caught."

Kinda makes me thing twice about shipping anything through FedEX.

Yes it does.

I wonder what the actual laws/rules are about exactly what HM Customs is allowed to open?  I mean do they have a blanket "we can open any mail/package"?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Another_Darren wrote:

"FedEx was glad to assist in Lucky and Flo's first live test in a working situation. They were amazingly successful at identifying packages containing DVDs, which were opened and checked by HM Customs' representatives. While all were legitimate shipments on the day, our message to anyone thinking about shipping counterfeit DVDs through the FedEx network is simple: you're going to get caught."

Yes it does.

I wonder what the actual laws/rules are about exactly what HM Customs is allowed to open?  I mean do they have a blanket "we can open any mail/package"?

Yes they can, if it's coming into in country.

• User profile image
    pacelvi

Another_Darren wrote:

Yes it does.

Are you seriously asking if Customs in the UK has the right to inspect packages? Of course they do.

Trust is not part of this equation.  There are greater priorities that most companies in the shipping industry adhere, primarily ensuring that the supply chain does not get disrupted.  Every carrier cooperates with the various Customs agencies of the world.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Customs and excise have greater powers of search and seizure than the police; for example the civil police cannot investigate or seize within military jurisdictions (and vice versa). Customs can (one reason why 5 likes to pretend to be customs, heh)

• User profile image
    Rossj

pacelvi wrote:
    Another_Darren wrote:http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html

Yes it does.

Are you seriously asking if Customs in the UK has the right to inspect packages? Of course they do.

Well of course they can, but whether they do or not, is not a given.  Some of the larger carriers could (and possible do) use transshipment to move goods without 'technically' entering the UK although the goods are physically here (before being sent on elsewhere, typically via another mechanism). Intermodal freight is legal but can easily be abused.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

Well of course they can, but whether they do or not, is not a given.  Some of the larger carriers could (and possible do) use transshipment to move goods without 'technically' entering the UK although the goods are physically here (before being sent on elsewhere, typically via another mechanism). Intermodal freight is legal but can easily be abused.

And there is also bonded warehouses, where goods are technically not in the country, for taxation purposes, and as soon as they move out they're liable

• User profile image
    Manip

If I created a DVD-like disk that melted when read in a standard DVD player, and they opened my packaged and viewed my DVD who would be responsible for damages?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.