Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows XP x64

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    darklotus

Currently for MSDN subscribers i see Windows XP x64 for Itanium processors. Will this work on other NON_Itanium chips?  If not, when will those versions be available?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

darklotus wrote:
    Currently for MSDN subscribers i see Windows XP x64 for Itanium processors. Will this work on other NON_Itanium chips?  If not, when will those versions be available?

If you were to try it on a x86 chip it shouldn't be able to execute.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

jonathanh wrote:

I think we're confusing our terminology here.

• "x86" is the 32-bit architecture we've come to know and... well, tolerate.

I'm going to pick nits and say that x86 is dead, it's now known as IA-32 (for Intel Architecture-32), just like the 64 bit intel processor is IA-64 (for Intel Architecture-64).

Now then, apparently Intel has announced that they're doing an x64 processor, so...

• User profile image
    eagle

If you have a 64-bit ready PC, you now have the option to receive trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition via CD or download.

I have been using beta software for 11 months now...

• User profile image
    aharden

x86 == IA-32 == 32-bit
    Itanium == IA-64 == 64-bit
    x86-64/AMD64 == EM64T (Intel) == 64-bit ("-extended")

Anyone using x64 is being inspecific.

• User profile image
    darklotus

Sorry for the confusion, i got my terms mixed up.

I have an AMD Athlon64 processor. I want to install a 64-Bit operating system. What version of XP or Server would i need?

• User profile image
    Karim

I think this week they're calling it "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition."

Server version is "Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition."

To download Professional: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

To download Server:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/default.mspx

Before you go nuts, though, you might want to check out the benchmarks (build 1218)... sometimes 64-bit is actually SLOWER:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=xp641218&page=1

There are some compatibility issues mentioned as well.

Happy hacking!

• User profile image
    jonathanh

I think we're confusing our terminology here.

• "x86" is the 32-bit architecture we've come to know and... well, tolerate.
    • Itanium, aka "IA-64", is Intel's 64-bit VLIW architecture that hasn't really gone anywhere.
    • "x64" is the 64-bit extensions to x86 that AMD has been shipping for a while and that Intel has just cloned. AMD calls it one thing, Intel calls it something else, so people just use "x64" to cover them both.

So "x64 for Itanium" doesn't really make sense. Are you sure that's what it said?

• User profile image
    darklotus

I was reading some things that wont work on a 64-Bit XP. I was surprised when i saw .NET will not work on a 64-Bit XP. Along with Media Player, DVD Playback, and a few other things.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

darklotus wrote:
    I was reading some things that wont work on a 64-Bit XP. I was surprised when i saw .NET will not work on a 64-Bit XP. Along with Media Player, DVD Playback, and a few other things.

Most of those are not 'will not' issues. Those are 'does not' or 'does not yet' issues. There's nothing theoretically preventing the use of .NET or Media Player, though I can imagine that some of the codecs used for DVD decoding and such might not work properly in a 64-bit environment.

• User profile image
    eagle

I heard from Bob Borzan, a PM at MSFT today. He say's that Windows XP 64 Edition will be out in the first half of 2005.

• User profile image
    damphlett

While we're being pedantic. x86 is the family of processors that support the instruction set of the 8086 processor. That's a 16-bit processor!!

x86 = at least 16-bit

80386 family and
    80486 family and
    Pentium family   == 32-bit == IA-32
    etc etc blar blar

Remember Windows 3.1 before Win32s was released? There was life before 32bit OS's Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.