Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

A Linux Confession

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

    Hi. I'd like to say something. My name is Cornelius Ellsonpeter, and I just may be the next Linux convert. My story:

    Tonight I bought a new hard drive. It's was a small one, 80 GB or so. Instead of trying to install Linux on my current hard drive (on a Compaq box, dual booting with XP) I just decided to start with a new drive altogether. This time around, it went much smoother.

    I installed a version of Debian, and as a long time Windows user, all I can say is "smooth sailing". The partioning of the new drive went great. The configuration was a breeze. The installation? A snap. Hardware detection? Smokin'.

    Then, I rebooted my system. It automatically gave me a boot menu, whereupon I could boot XP or my new Linux install. I chose the Linux install. It went great, and for now I'm using a KDE desktop. Then, I thought, okay, people complain how Linux is a crappy experience out of the box. Huh. Seemed simple to me so far.

    I know! I bet it will get all goofed up when I try to see if it has a driver for my printer.

    Nope. Not a problem. I immediately was able to select my printer from a huge list of drivers. Click, click, click. I fired off a test page on my printer, and it worked great.

    I haven't hit a hitch yet. If this keeps up, I may never go back to Windows again...

    :O

    On a side note, to appease the XP side of my system, I did pick up Corel's Paint Shop Pro X from Best Buy for about $30. They had a bunch of rebate deals, and the normal price would have been $100. I figured I couldn't pass up 70% off.

  • User profile image
    LaBomba

    Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

     It's was a small one, 80 GB or so.

    80 gb is a small drive? Expressionless

  • User profile image
    The J

    I started using Linux (Ubuntu AMD64) a couple of months ago and I was really surprised by how smoothly everything went. The only trouble was the the thumb buttons in my mouse didn't work, but I ended up getting that working (even though I don't really use them now since Opera has mouse gestures). I am fortunate, though, that my roommate has been using Linux for a couple of years now. He had stories about how very little of his hardware was found when he first started. They've come a long way since then. I still go to Windows (and still like using it), though, when I need an Oblivion fix.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Thats cool man, if yoiu do run into a snag be sure to come back and we will try to help ya.  Despite popular troll belief
     there are some Linux users on Channel9.

    Im sure Charles Chazz wont mind.


    Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Hi. I'd like to say something. My name is Cornelius Ellsonpeter, and I just may be the next Linux convert. My story:

    Tonight I bought a new hard drive. It's was a small one, 80 GB or so. Instead of trying to install Linux on my current hard drive (on a Compaq box, dual booting with XP) I just decided to start with a new drive altogether. This time around, it went much smoother.

    I installed a version of Debian, and as a long time Windows user, all I can say is "smooth sailing". The partioning of the new drive went great. The configuration was a breeze. The installation? A snap. Hardware detection? Smokin'.

    Then, I rebooted my system. It automatically gave me a boot menu, whereupon I could boot XP or my new Linux install. I chose the Linux install. It went great, and for now I'm using a KDE desktop. Then, I thought, okay, people complain how Linux is a crappy experience out of the box. Huh. Seemed simple to me so far.

    I know! I bet it will get all goofed up when I try to see if it has a driver for my printer.

    Nope. Not a problem. I immediately was able to select my printer from a huge list of drivers. Click, click, click. I fired off a test page on my printer, and it worked great.

    I haven't hit a hitch yet. If this keeps up, I may never go back to Windows again...



    On a side note, to appease the XP side of my system, I did pick up Corel's Paint Shop Pro X from Best Buy for about $30. They had a bunch of rebate deals, and the normal price would have been $100. I figured I couldn't pass up 70% off.

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    zhuo wrote:
    I think I am only using windows because i develop using .net and can't be bothered to maintain 2 systems.


    Which brings me to ... has anyone tried MonoDevelop yet?


  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    LaBomba wrote:
    
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
     It's was a small one, 80 GB or so.

    80 gb is a small drive?

    Well, 500GB drives have been out for awhile now.

  • User profile image
    AnXa

    You know, that's a bit lame... Cool

    There is nothing evil about Gnu/Linux since it's being developed by the people for the people.
    I hope that guys at Microsoft will realise this and they are on good track already.

    MonoDevelop is bit ... hmmm. weird.. I'd ratcher use KDevelop or Eclipse. Smiley

  • User profile image
    zhuo

    I think I am only using windows because i develop using .net and can't be bothered to maintain 2 systems.

    At the end of the day, imagine if all you need windows for is writing a few documents, editing a few photos and listening to a bunch of music why would you need it? just put everything online somewhere and you can access it from any browser.  linux,windows or osx, it won't matter. 

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    last time when i tried Linux (it was SuSe or something) he destroyed my Windows partition.

  • User profile image
    L_Park1

    If you decided to go with Linux, then PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS SITE ANYMORE. You are now a Linux guy so PLEASE DO NOT VISIT THIS SITE AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT ! Thanks for being with us in a great experience with Microsoft. GoodBye ! Smiley) Just kiding but ... Smiley)

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    blatzcoder wrote:
    The mods don't nix Linux threads on the weekend. Oops, did I say 'nix?

    Quit being an idiot, blatz. We don't nuke Linux threads, we nuke flame threads (which often have a high correlation to threads you take part in).

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    L_Park1 wrote:
    If you decided to go with Linux, then PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS SITE ANYMORE. You are now a Linux guy so PLEASE DO NOT VISIT THIS SITE AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT ! Thanks for being with us in a great experience with Microsoft. GoodBye ! ) Just kiding but ... )


    Why cant we be here? What if we do or did use Microsoft products at one time and would like to see what developments are taking place at Redmond?

    I use both so that isnt an issue but people who just use Linux or some other Unix-like or real Unix should be allowed to converse here.


    Regards,
    Vincent

  • User profile image
    otech

    and hows the wireless networking drivers for Broadcom chipsets coming along; its been over a year since I wasted my time with linux (FC3/FC4/Suse and Mandriva) only to discover that not ONE can support wifi in my notebook.

    any improvements on the broadcom front?

  • User profile image
    alwaysmc2

    Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Hi. I'd like to say something. My name is Cornelius Ellsonpeter, and I just may be the next Linux convert. My story:

    Tonight I bought a new hard drive. It's was a small one, 80 GB or so. Instead of trying to install Linux on my current hard drive (on a Compaq box, dual booting with XP) I just decided to start with a new drive altogether. This time around, it went much smoother.

    I installed a version of Debian, and as a long time Windows user, all I can say is "smooth sailing". The partioning of the new drive went great. The configuration was a breeze. The installation? A snap. Hardware detection? Smokin'.

    Then, I rebooted my system. It automatically gave me a boot menu, whereupon I could boot XP or my new Linux install. I chose the Linux install. It went great, and for now I'm using a KDE desktop. Then, I thought, okay, people complain how Linux is a crappy experience out of the box. Huh. Seemed simple to me so far.

    I know! I bet it will get all goofed up when I try to see if it has a driver for my printer.

    Nope. Not a problem. I immediately was able to select my printer from a huge list of drivers. Click, click, click. I fired off a test page on my printer, and it worked great.

    I haven't hit a hitch yet. If this keeps up, I may never go back to Windows again...



    On a side note, to appease the XP side of my system, I did pick up Corel's Paint Shop Pro X from Best Buy for about $30. They had a bunch of rebate deals, and the normal price would have been $100. I figured I couldn't pass up 70% off.

    See?  This is a perfect example of someone praising Linux without trolling. Thank you, Cornelius Ellsonpeter.

    As for me, I'm really excited about Windows Vista.  Besides actually using the beta OS, we see the improvements in Microsoft's attiude throught Internet Explorer 7, Windows Media Player 11, and the Live series of products.  At any rate, I have a tablet PC, so in order to keep the pen interface Windows is its operating system. (Yeah, I bet a tablet linux is being developed...) I am quite attatched to the afore mentioned microsoft softwares and Office, so I don't think I'll ever switch. 

  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

    alwaysmc2 wrote:
    See?  This is a perfect example of someone praising Linux without trolling. Thank you, Cornelius Ellsonpeter. 
    Smiley I do like it.

    otech wrote:
    and hows the wireless networking drivers for Broadcom chipsets coming along; its been over a year since I wasted my time with linux (FC3/FC4/Suse and Mandriva) only to discover that not ONE can support wifi in my notebook.

    any improvements on the broadcom front?

    Sad

    I don't know. I don't have a wireless card, so I can only speak from what experience I have (which has been very good so far). Then again, I've seen numerous wireless networking setups that were flaky at best and unreliable at times. One of our satellite offices at work tried going all wireless and to put it nicely it was "an adventure". They went back to cables a short while after that experiment.

    LaBomba wrote:
    80 gb is a small drive?
    I thought that was big, but it was the smallest one they sold at the stores I went to. I know I could have gotten a better deal online somewhere, but I was eager to get going on things. I'm only using 40GB of the space, and left the other half open for another distro. Maybe Ubuntu or something else, I dunno.

  • User profile image
    otech

    cheers for the response, saves me finding out the hard way...

    By the time I get bored with Vista (prob July next year Wink they might have made some improvements to Wifi drivers etc and will probably get tempted to try out the latest shiny new distro too as a second boot 'play with' option...

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Oh Blatz/ChrisA, hows your "Get the real facts on Microsoft and Linux" going.  Have you yet finished the letter asking open source developers to quit porting their software to Windows yet?

    blatzcoder wrote:
    The mods don't nix Linux threads on the weekend. Oops, did I say 'nix?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.