Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

URGE: Why only available in the US?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi! I have heard that URGE is going to be only available in the united states. That's sad... Are there plans for a world wide release?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It probably has to do with distribution licenses for the songs involved.

For instance, I know selling songs on a website in the Netherlands involves handing over large amounts of money to Buma/Stemra (Dutch equivalent of the RIAA/MPAA).

EDIT: Found it. You have to pay 8% of the consumer price (ex. VAT) with a minimum of €0.06 for each song sold.

• User profile image
    littleguru

That's so sad. I'd like to have a subscription based service also here in Europe. Rhapsody is only for the US, URGE too and iTune is not subscription based.

I'd like to have a service that allows me to listen to music, by paying them a certain amount per month. Why is that so complicated...

They need also to pay for each song to the RIAA/MPAA in the states!

• User profile image
    blowdart

littleguru wrote:

I'd like to have a service that allows me to listen to music, by paying them a certain amount per month. Why is that so complicated...

You mean like Napster? (although they're only UK & Germany in Europe)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    littleguru wrote:

You mean like Napster? (although they're only UK & Germany in Europe)

The business model is good, at the cost of ethics. They hook people on the "pay us a tiny sum per month and you get all the music you want" whilst neglecting to mention the "stop paying and your music stops working" and the 128kbps quality.

Hence why Amazon >>>> Napster.

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's the same model as with cell phones. I like it, because I'm not the guy that is listening to a song over and over... I like to have and listen to a great varities of songs.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

The business model is good, at the cost of ethics. They hook people on the "pay us a tiny sum per month and you get all the music you want" whilst neglecting to mention the "stop paying and your music stops working" and the 128kbps quality.

*yawn* And tell me, do you complain to Blockbuster when you have to give your DVD back in 48 hours? No.

The subscription terms are detailed in Napster's FAQ. Hardly hidden either.

As for quality, well, 128kps WMA sounds pretty good to most people. Except for those who still appear to believe in vinyl.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    *yawn* And tell me, do you complain to Blockbuster when you have to give your DVD back in 48 hours? No.

With Blockbuster, it's common sense: You rent something from the store, you return it. Blockbuster advertise themselves as "rental".

Naptster, however, doesn't advertise itself as "song rental". My (not that computer-literate) sister nearly signed up for Napster To-Go, but after I explained to her that after she stopped paying she'd lose all of her songs she decided to stay well-away (and warned all of her friends too)

The rest of the world doesn't read FAQs anyway, Napster's going to be in my bad books unless their advertising material says in big bold print "Napster To-Go Music Rental Service"... which it doesn't.

blowdart wrote:
    As for quality, well, 128kps WMA sounds pretty good to most people. Except for those who still appear to believe in vinyl.

I don't believe in vinyl, but I can tell the difference between 128kbps and 256kbps easily. It doesn't take that well-trained an ear.

• User profile image
    Manip

iTunes person here.

And although I buy a lot of videos from the iTunes music store I hope they (or someone else) expands the range into "real" films... Then that way I can cut my dependence on DVDs completely...

• User profile image
    CoLD FiRe

I'm sick to death of (I need to watch my language) only being for the US. Looks like i'll just have to keep downloading pirated songs. If they dont want to supply me with a service then (I need to watch my language)em:@

Australia doesnt have access to hardly any online music services.

EDIT:
    Dont get me wrong though. I will go out a buy albums etc if i feel that there good enough. But really, you only like about 2-3 songs on an album and to me its not worth spending $29.95AU on one.

So thats why i think its better to offer just a song for a reasonable price.

• User profile image
    Manip

Cold Fire, I hear what your saying... I think the UK is better off service wise than you guys but we too hit a lot of "Sorry, for US customers only."

I blame the way the content is licenced on it (licenced per country).

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

The rest of the world doesn't read FAQs anyway, Napster's going to be in my bad books unless their advertising material says in big bold print "Napster To-Go Music Rental Service"... which it doesn't.

No but it does say subscription service. All over the place.

Now if your sister's command of English is so bad that she can't understand what a subscription is then that's her look out, not Napsters

• User profile image
    rhm

W3bbo wrote:
    blowdart wrote:*yawn* And tell me, do you complain to Blockbuster when you have to give your DVD back in 48 hours? No.

With Blockbuster, it's common sense: You rent something from the store, you return it. Blockbuster advertise themselves as "rental".

Naptster, however, doesn't advertise itself as "song rental". My (not that computer-literate) sister nearly signed up for Napster To-Go, but after I explained to her that after she stopped paying she'd lose all of her songs she decided to stay well-away (and warned all of her friends too)

Only a complete tool would think they could pay 10ukp and then download 60Gb of music and keep it forever.

And besides, that's not a reason to complain about Napster (in comparison with other music sites anyway) because you can "buy" music on Napster to keep the same way you do on iTunes if you want to pay 79p for each and every track (price up how much it would cost you to fill a 30g Zen).

The reason to complain about Napster is the crappy audio quality. If people here don't think 128kbit WMA is bad, they haven't tried listening to it. And I say that as a non-audiophile who is happy to listen to 256kbit MP3 files all day long. Although WMA is supposedly more efficient than MP3, 128kbits is a step too far. It sounds OK with some pop music, but for other types of music it can render them completely unlistenable. If you want to try it, download the trial Napster and listen to Green Day, Death Cab For Cutie or Flaming Lips for example.

As for URGE, it may only be available in the US for now, but I'm pretty sure it's coming to the UK at least (and possibly other parts of Europe - but not France hehe).

• User profile image
    Arran

blowdart wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

No but it does say subscription service. All over the place.

Now if your sister's command of English is so bad that she can't understand what a subscription is then that's her look out, not Napsters

Well i have a subscription to FHM...does that mean when i cancel it i need to give back the magazines?

• User profile image
    rhm

Arran wrote:

Well i have a subscription to FHM...does that mean when i cancel it i need to give back the magazines?

I have a subscription to Sky Sports. Does that mean I get to watch all their sporting events over and over indefinitely, even if I cancel?

We could play semantics sill-buggers all day long and maybe run this thread up to a few hundred comments. I think I'll just reiterate my previous comment:

Only a complete tool would think they can download 60Gb of music for 10ukp and keep it forever. That's what it comes down to. Whining about "being tricked" or claiming it's misleading is basically admitting that you're a complete moron.

• User profile image
    Arran

My point was not that a subscription means you should have access forever....just that it does not mean that you have to give everything back after the subscription ends.

I cant say i have ever used napster, so i dont know how obvious it is that when you end the subscription you lose access to content, but for the common user it needs to be very obvious and if its not then it could be viewed has mis-marketing their service.

And the problem is they do market to non tech users.  People are ignorant of copywrite law all the time.  The way most people see it is you can record off TV and rewatch.

• User profile image
    rhm

Yes, and my point is that you don't get 60Gb of music for 10ukp, everyone should know that however unsavy they are.

Perhaps you should take a look at Napster's website and see if you think it's clear enough instead of defending people who obviously just have an axe to grind.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Rhapsody > Napster.

I had always hated Real Networks, but I have got to hand it to them, I Love my Rhaposdy subscription. It is the only one I use now.

It lets me provision 3 seperate pc's, so that any music I I download, I can take with me to work.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.