Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Longhorn features to be chopped?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jkwuc89

Check out:
    Microsoft to Gut Longhorn to Make 2006 Delivery Date

Apparently, WinFS and Avalon are the main chopping targets and Longhorn will be more evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Also check out:
    Microsoft overhauls Longhorn plans

• User profile image
    jamie

all i want longhorn to do is render using the video card - and look cool

thats avalon and aero ?
    i hope they dont axe those

- new file system... zzzz
    - new web services? - yawn
    - NGSCB?  pass

Stick Aero on XP and ill BUY it OVER again
    ( release it this year as part of Reloaded ( with winmedia 10, music store, etc) 

* before all the techy replies - i ask you to remember we've just been through 3 YEARS of security and patching and updates with nothing FUN

Im tired of Macs "looking better" than XP.
    Blow Aqua away please... now THAT would be fun! Smiley

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

I'm with jamie, give us some eye-candy and not this finger-painting-like stuff with XP themes.

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

I agree too.

• User profile image
    compuwhiz7

I'm seriously hoping this doesn't happen, but it may well. WinFS and Avalon would seem to be the most important parts of Longhorn, and, indeed, the most compelling reason to upgrade.

I still will upgrade when Longhorn is released, or, rather, purchase a new computer with it preloaded and then rebuild, but it would be a bummer if this turns out to be the case.

I wonder whether WinFS and Avalon will be released as components in a service pack, or rather in Blackcomb.

• User profile image
    Karim

Longhorn to Feature New Color Scheme

REDMOND, WASHINGTON (August 27) - Microsoft Product Managers announced today that they have given up on their ambitious plans for the next version of Windows, known as "Longhorn."  At a press conference, Microsoft revealed that Longhorn would be basically Windows XP Service Pack 2, plus a new desktop color scheme.

"We've been listening to our users, and the number one thing we've heard from them is that they are tired of Blue, Silver, and Olive Green," stated the press release.  "So Longhorn will feature an entirely new color scheme that is not available in Windows XP, which we are calling 'Puce.'  We hope that Puce will bring an entirely new level of enjoyment to the computing eXPerience that is Windows XP."

Microsoft had planned to provide another color scheme for Windows XP, tentatively called "Ecru," but difficulties arose during development of the pale brown color scheme, so it was scrapped in order to meet the 2006 deadline for the release of Longhorn.

• User profile image
    VBJB

Karim wrote:
    Longhorn to Feature New Color Scheme

REDMOND, WASHINGTON (August 27) - Microsoft Product Managers announced today that they have given up on their ambitious plans for the next version of Windows, known as "Longhorn."  At a press conference, Microsoft revealed that Longhorn would be basically Windows XP Service Pack 2, plus a new desktop color scheme.

"We've been listening to our users, and the number one thing we've heard from them is that they are tired of Blue, Silver, and Olive Green," stated the press release.  "So Longhorn will feature an entirely new color scheme that is not available in Windows XP, which we are calling 'Puce.'  We hope that Puce will bring an entirely new level of enjoyment to the computing eXPerience that is Windows XP."

Microsoft had planned to provide another color scheme for Windows XP, tentatively called "Ecru," but difficulties arose during development of the pale brown color scheme, so it was scrapped in order to meet the 2006 deadline for the release of Longhorn.

I love it! :0)

• User profile image
    jonathanh

We just received a flurry of executive emails explaining the plans - expect them to hit the usual news outlets this afternoon...

• User profile image
    jamie

Karim - above post = 10+  Smiley

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Can't wait, especially since I'm one of the main contributors for a "news outlet" (Lockergnome counts, right? Wink).

• User profile image
    jamie

...it would be great if C9 - every now and then - could scoop Winbeta and news.com

so ... whazz up  - i mean  - whaz IN??

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

jamie wrote:

Im tired of Macs "looking better" than XP.
    Blow Aqua away please... now THAT would be fun! Smiley

I concur, 100%. if it doesn't look 'cool' to the average home user, Microsoft has 10 strikes against them.

• User profile image
    Sampy

jonathanh wrote:
    We just received a flurry of executive emails explaining the plans - expect them to hit the usual news outlets this afternoon...

I'm having lunch with some friends in Windows to sort this all out. Exciting times!

EDIT: Lots of hallway conversations going on about this too.

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Whats going on, this could be very bad.

• User profile image
    lars

"and make key elements of the Windows WinFXTM developer platform in "Longhorn" available for Windows XP and Windows ServerTM 2003."

That's good news.

"Microsoft will deliver a Windows storage subsystem, code-named "WinFS," after the "Longhorn" release."

That is not so good news. Bye bye to WinFS.

• User profile image
    Cider

This could be very good or very bad.

On a good note, making WinFS and WinFX backwardly compatible is FANTASTIC and, if you ask me, Microsoft coming to their senses.  It was always a daft, daft notion to make Longhorn so dependant on high hardware specs and the sort of PC that Longhorn was targetting, encompassed by the Athens prototype (64-bit, hugely able DirectX 9 cards, gigantic widescreen monitors, V-O-IP network, etc), is more of a 2010 timeframe.

In terms of users upgrading, you could almost call this an OS upgrade step inbetween XP and Longhorn.  XP -> XP w. Longhorn technologies -> Longhorn, a step process to maybe bring in technologies such as Avalon/Aero before having to go whole hog and upgrade to Longhorn.

On a bad note, Windows needs a revolution, and it'll be a shame if Longhorn isn't that.

• User profile image
    jamie

re: Windows needs a revolution, and it'll be a shame if Longhorn isn't that.

it does need to said that on a product with 80+% profit margins - how did it get to this?

why hasnt ms literally quadrupled its dev staff?

Everytime i heard "they pulled off people from longhorn to do sp2 - i thought this... WHY?!?!?!

Why didnt they take the 4 billion they just gave back to shareholders - cause they didnt know what to do with it.. and spend it on more developers?

...or can there only be SO many developers on a project?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.