Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ASP.NET or PHP 5.1.4

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    die-Sel

I did a search on this for couldn't really find much on it to answer my questions.

I use wordpress as my blog software and i stated in another post and I have been thinking about taking up php. Now I use C#.NET and was thinking. which is a better option.

Can ASP.NET do the same things as php, or is there some  drawbacks to the use of asp.net compaired to php.

• User profile image
    gallo

When comparing PHP with ASP.NET I always think of comparing an apple with fruit salad.

PHP itself is "just" a dynamically typed language without much of libraries bundled with it. ASP.NET has all the advantages of the .NET framework like type safety and lots of libraries coming with it.

With plain PHP you have to take care of things like how to name your HTML form elements, pass then to the PHP script, register them and maybe put them back to your form elements in case some data is not valid. ASP.NET does that (and more) for you automatically.

Then of course there's Visual Studio including the free Express Edition for web develoment. Try to do graphical editing with Eclipse or the Zend Studio. Or even try refactoring with one of those. No way. Visual Studio does it all.

Of course to be fair, there are libraries and tool for PHP that do those things for you. But they are 3rd party and in my oppinion lack the integrated development experience with ASP.NET and Visual Studio.

Don't think I don't like PHP. In the contrary. I do like it very much and earn most of my money with it (small jobs besides university). Lots of things can be done very much faster and with less code and you can use notepad/pico/... without problems.

To sum up your question: ASP.NET does a lot more than PHP, not the other way round as you were thinking Wink And its very easy to learn. Trying it out can't hurt.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

But!  PHP hosting is simple and for that reason LAMP type hosting packages are cheap.  ASP.NET hosting packages cost a bit more as the host server has to a MS licence for OS and possible the database if SQL Server.

• User profile image
    jus

You may want to check out Community Server blog software. http://communityserver.org/ (asp blog software)

I have a wordpress blog, but have been thinking about creating a CS blog site to learn more ASP.

• User profile image
    Rowan

In my general web browsing experience I've noticed a lot of really good websites run on PHP, Word Press, Blogger, Flickr, Deviant Art (?), Zen Cart, PHPBB, VBulletin, etc. Then you have the ASP sites, MSN Spaces, Rent a Coder, Channel 9, ugh, etc...

Clearly I'm not a programmer, but I know that PHP can do whatever it needs to without much hassle.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rowan wrote:
    In my general web browsing experience I've noticed a lot of really good websites run on PHP, Word Press, Blogger, Flickr, Deviant Art (?), Zen Cart, PHPBB, VBulletin, etc. Then you have the ASP sites, MSN Spaces, Rent a Coder, Channel 9, ugh, etc...

Those "ASP" sites actually run on ASP.NET.

Rowan wrote:
    Clearly I'm not a programmer, but I know that PHP can do whatever it needs to without much hassle.

...if you like spaghetti code and mixing PHP with generated HTML (blegh!). "Codebehind" systems for PHP do exist (see Smarty), but they're not as a part of any standard distribution (as far as I'm aware)

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

jus wrote:
    You may want to check out Community Server blog software. http://communityserver.org/ (asp blog software)

I have a wordpress blog, but have been thinking about creating a CS blog site to learn more ASP.

I thought about that as well, having just left a WordPress setup.  I decided to write my own entirely (click blog link).

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

If you are considering php i would suggest taking a look at Ruby... which is actually another language but requires a php server....

IIRC isn't flickr actually written in Ruby?

I've kinda decided on a side adventure to start taking a look at Ruby-On-Rails and see how much I like it...

however... as I often write ASP.Net in VB.net (hush) I gotta say I'm still a bigger fan of ASP.net ..... I can do everything I need to do and more and when switching from Winforms to Webforms its a little easier on the brain (lots of scrambled eggs up there)...

• User profile image
    sgomez

Go with ASP.NET...
    Real strong, and that code behind thing it's just great... You can work with a UI designer and you just work on the code and both of you will work on different files.

For me, that's the best ASP.Net feature.

.seb
    ---
    http://sgomez.blogspot.com

P.D: I'm looking for a ASP.Net blog site

• User profile image
    Cairo

Go with Ruby on Rails!

• User profile image
    mawcc

Both are mature technologies that do not have any serious limitations. As always it depends more on what the developer makes of it.
    I'd say that PHP makes it easier for beginners to create something that works. On the other hand it's also much easier to create something that becomes unmaintainable very fast (I've seen lots of such examples).
    ASP.NET forces you to learn some concepts first, but rewards you in the long run by supporting a clean architecture. It's also much more consistent from an API perspective.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

SlackmasterK wrote:
    jus wrote:

I thought about that as well, having just left a WordPress setup.  I decided to write my own entirely (click blog link).

Oh no.... your blog hates Firefox!

• User profile image
    die-Sel

yea firefox doesnt like it at all but if u have the IETab extension and switch the engine it works fine Smiley

looks like am gonna go with ASP.NET instead of php. i already have everything i need to start asp.net, windows servers, VS.NEt. so am ready to rock. just need to find some documentation to get started.

• User profile image
    TadejK

I do most of my work in PHP, and some in ASP.net (though I make a lot of programs in C# - windows apps).
    I would probably choose php over asp.net, and here's why..
    With asp.net, you already get a framework (which I consider a disadvantage), and with php, you have the freedom to do whatever you like. And not only that - you can choose from a number of frameworks (including Prado, which is a copy of asp.net's framework).
    In essence, php is a scripting language, and as such, you can write many many things very fast.
    But, on the other hand, it's slower than asp.net (cause it's not semi-compiled, as asp.net code is), you don't have Visual Studio, you don't get strongly typed variables, etc. Also, debugging is a bit harder.
    It's not true that you don't get a lot of libraries with php - I often find many functions in php and not in .net, so I would say it's the otherway around. There's also the fact that there are sites like http://pear.php.net/, where you can get a lot of free libraries.
    Oh, and let's not forget, that with a framework like asp.net's (or Prado), you quickly end up with A LOT of pages! Master pages solves that a bit, but not enough..

Just my 16 cents Wink

Regards,
    Tadej

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.