Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Trying to read MSDN on the Pocket PC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    PeteBeech

Has anyone ever tried reading MSDN articles on a pocket PC. with Pocket IE? You end up going to a page at msdn.microsoft.com/mobile.aspx.. which looks great, and you think the whole thing has been optimised for running on a mobile device.

But, after choosing a category and then a link, almost every library article you choose takes you back to the main menu. MSDN TV doesn't work - there's no link to watch the video (the buttons don't work on Pocket IE). DotNetRocks won't even play (from MSDN - its fine from franklins.net). It seems ironic that I can't see Microsoft documentation on a device running a Microsoft OS with a Microsoft mobile Internet browser - especially since there seems to have been some initial efforts to start making it mobile device friendly.

If anyone else has tried it, do you have the same experience?

This has been like this ever since I found MSDN had a mobile "optimised" page, and I've been hoping it would be fixed by now. Where can I notify the MSDN Library team about these problems?

• User profile image
    PeteBeech

Go on, there must be someone who's tried looking at MSDN on the Pocket PC. Or is it just not working for me?..

Anyone from the MSDN library team on Channel 9 yet?

• User profile image
    darklotus

I just tried the MSDN site on my iPAQ 2215, and it looks horrible. Actually, now that i try it again, all of thier sites look horrible in Pocket IE.

• User profile image
    PeteBeech

Well, the normal site looks horrible on a Pocket PC, thats for sure - but I didn't expect anything else.. but did you try the mobile version (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobile.aspx ). Thats just a text only type thing, and thats the one I'm talking about.. and I wouldn't say it was pretty either, but the main thing is it doesn't seem to work properly.

(Actually, articles which are from MSDN Magazine often seem to show up reasonably OK - they seem to support mobile devices.)

• User profile image
    Robert Hess

Actually, the page you should be starting with is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobiledefault.aspx

but the problem still exists that any "real" content you try to view will just be normal web pages and not something that is tuned for a PDA sized screen.

I wasn't even aware that we had that much prepped for a PDA. I'll look into this a bit and see what I can find out.

-Robert

• User profile image
    eagle

thanks for that, I didn't know there was a mobiledefault.

The other thing you might try is to download pages from MSDN on your PC then move them over to your little pocket guy.

• User profile image
    PeteBeech

Robert Hess wrote:
    Actually, the page you should be starting with is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobiledefault.aspx

but the problem still exists that any "real" content you try to view will just be normal web pages and not something that is tuned for a PDA sized screen.

I wasn't even aware that we had that much prepped for a PDA. I'll look into this a bit and see what I can find out.

-Robert

Hi, yes, sorry - just using mobile.aspx goes to the MSDN headlines, which you also get to by choosing the MSDN Headlines link from mobiledefault.aspx.

Anyway, if it went to content consistently in the way you describe (i.e. not tuned for a PDA, but still the content I want) I would be happy (or happier!). However, when I choose as an example, from mobiledefault.aspx, "MSDN Headlines", followed by the current first article, "WS-Addressing Additions" and Updates, it jumps straight back to mobiledefault.aspx. Same for the 3rd article ("Efficient Techniques for modifying large XML Files"), and probably for many more.

But, yes, once that is sorted out, it would be great if they could be optimised for the mobile device - like I say, the MSDN magazine articles are not bad on that score.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.