Coffeehouse Thread

235 posts

The DaVinci Code...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

So what do you guys think of this movie?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

As a Practicing Catholic who rejects and denounces the infallability and authority of the pope, but who also hasn't read the book or seen the movie:

"I don't have an opinion"

There Smiley

• User profile image
    irascian

The tagline says it all: "Be part of the phenomenon"

That's "phenomenon" as in "endless hype and marketing in a world where even the supposedly independent film review magazines are just marketing arms of the major film companies"

I think I'll pass, thanks!

• User profile image
    j0217995

Reading today on one of the various blogs I frequent, there was a link to a site that possed as a Christian site that has a lot of information on how the movie is anti-christian and how it goes against the Bible and how everyone should boycott it. However the site is linked with Sony the parent compnay trying to hype the movie.

• User profile image
    Angus

I'm hoping to see it soon, I have heard that it has got bad reviews, but this happens to loads of movies. I'm not a movie fan, but my friend says that I must see this one as it is a major one.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Larsenal

j0217995 wrote:
    Reading today on one of the various blogs I frequent, there was a link to a site that possed as a Christian site that has a lot of information on how the movie is anti-christian and how it goes against the Bible and how everyone should boycott it. However the site is linked with Sony the parent compnay trying to hype the movie.

Controversy creates buzz.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    The tagline says it all: "Be part of the phenomenon"

That's "phenomenon" as in "endless hype and marketing in a world where even the supposedly independent film review magazines are just marketing arms of the major film companies"

I think I'll pass, thanks!

Coming from someone who agreed to appear on Five in a LoTR programme?

I'd say LoTR had more hype than TDVC.

• User profile image
    Manip

It looks interesting, but I haven't seen it and the initial reviews aren't great. I just want to see a good movie, and as such don't care about the politics.

Speaking of movie politics has anyone seen "V for Vendetta" yet? I very much enjoyed it, but then again I have a very dark sense of humour and enjoyed its 1984-est political message.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I think the movie is pretty good. I saw it yesterday, and I liked it almost as much as the book. There's just one thing people often forget: it's a story. It's just fiction.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Manip, I liked V too. It has a unique sense of humor, and good dialogs. Although V wears a mask, I think Hugo Weaver still managed to put a lot of emotions in his performance.

• User profile image
    Angus

Has anyone seen Kidulthood? I wanted to see it, but I couldn't find the DVD anywhere.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Manip

Unique isn't the word for it Smiley

<V for Vendetta Spoiler Warning> I must admit I did take a lot of pleasure out of seeing the Houses of Parliament get blown up; we always see the Whitehouse get destroyed but this is one of the first times in recent movie history that they have taken it UK-side. [6]

Edit: No, I haven't even heard of 'Kidulthood'.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have heard that the movie is really boring.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I was raised Catholic, but now I believe God has been over credited for most of it.  As for the movie, it should be good, I plan to go see it.

W3bbo wrote:
    As a Practicing Catholic who rejects and denounces the infallability and authority of the pope, but who also hasn't read the book or seen the movie:

"I don't have an opinion"

There

• User profile image
    Angus

Manip wrote:

Edit: No, I haven't even heard of 'Kidulthood'.

There you go:

http://www.kidulthood.co.uk/

It looks amazing.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Zeo

As a Christian I just keep shouting at my Christian friends who are bent out of shape about the movie that it's "FICTION".

I've even started a mini-campaign to buy tickets to see the movie for Christians I know who are outraged at the movie.

It's Fiction!

It should be a good time, I'm going on a date Saturday to see it! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Zeo wrote:
    As a Christian I just keep shouting at my Christian friends who are bent out of shape about the movie that it's "FICTION".

I've even started a mini-campaign to buy tickets to see the movie for Christians I know who are outraged at the movie.

It's Fiction!

It should be a good time, I'm going on a date Saturday to see it!

Yeah... "OMG, Hollywood is getting [insert important topic here] wrong!"

Even for movies that are not fiction, tt's unrealistic to expect them to get things right.  It just doesn't happen.  Now when it's stated outright to be fiction, there's no need to worry.

Anyone who takes as fact content stated by the author to be fiction must not fault the author for misleading them.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Larsenal wrote:

Yeah... "OMG, Hollywood is getting [insert important topic here] wrong!"

Especially all the WWII films in recent years. Expressionless

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.