Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bill Gates Interview (Who respects Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols?)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Keskos

Here is what Bill Gates say about Longhorn. It is from news.com, so I am not sure how authentic it is, but sounds to me original and real.

jamie wrote:
    well let's try an experiment:

Anyone from Channel 9 that respects the opinions of Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols please respond to this thread.

GO!

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

No idea why it'd not be authentic... But yeah, great interview. Already posted it to Lockergnome. Thanks for the tip mate Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

"Some things here are cases where there is a clear competitor. If you take our guys who are competing with Google, they understand exactly what they're measured against and how everybody thinks Google walks on water, and they've got to surprise the world. "

good Smiley

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Jeremy W. wrote:
    No idea why it'd not be authentic... But yeah, great interview. Already posted it to Lockergnome. Thanks for the tip mate Smiley

I would only be questioning its authenticity if it came from Newsforge or that dweeb from eWeak, Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

BTW I am sad that Longhrn is losing WinFS, I think someone needs to start a Spotlight-like application for Windows.

• User profile image
    jamie

re: Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols

TOTALLY agree... man that dudes got an axe to grind with someone from MS or what

total malarky

( or however you spell malarky)

• User profile image
    jamie

or should i say:

Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols olay f'tang f'tang biscuit barrel......

* more monty python - yes - its an MP nite!Eye Rolling

• User profile image
    TimP

Glad I'm not the only one who shares that view on Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

well let's try an experiment:

Anyone from Channel 9 that respects the opinions of Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols please respond to this thread.

GO!

• User profile image
    compugab

rjdohnert wrote:
    BTW I am sad that Longhrn is losing WinFS, I think someone needs to start a Spotlight-like application for Windows.

This is sad for the time between the final longhorn release and the winfs final release. This decision bring 2 good points that people are quick to forget:

1) longhorn will be out on time
    2) WinFS will be better : WinFs On network, WinFS on Longhorn server and other things we no not.

never dispert, there is always hope

from MSDN WinFS article :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwinfs/html/winfs03112004.asp

"UPDATE: In spite of what may be stated in this content, "WinFS" is not a feature that will come with the Longhorn Operating System. However, "WinFS" will be available on the Windows platform at some future date, which is why this article continues to be provided for your information."

And other on http://blogs.msdn.com/

Compugab

• User profile image
    Karim

jamie wrote:
    or should i say:

Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols olay f'tang f'tang biscuit barrel......

* more monty python - yes - its an MP nite!Eye Rolling

• User profile image
    compugab

Some interesting good stuff...

If you what a good reason to upgrade to Longhorn if 2 main technologies are ported to WinXp well read this :

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2004.asp

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

I just read the bad news now:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2004.asp

Windows Future Storage is pulled from Longhorn and the core Windows team gives up on Windows Longhorn componenization. This is depressing.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

TimP wrote:
    Glad I'm not the only one who shares that view on Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols. Smiley

How can anyone have any respect for Steven Vaughn-Nichols, everytime a virus comes out he says "Its time to switch to Linux", if a new vulneraboity comes out "Its time to switch to Linux",  And I get tired of his endless, "Distribution XYZ is ready for the desktop".  When NT4 support was cut he predicted this major defection to Linux.  i work as a consultant/service provider/system integrator/technical support and when my clients worked on upgrading I had maybe one request for an analysis of Linux, I had a handful that migrated to FreeBSD and the rest came to me with planned deployments of Windows Server 2003 or Windows Small Business Server and Windows 2000 or XP for their desktops.  But back to SVN,  wonder what he thinks,if everyone switches to Linux does he think virus writers and malware writers are going to throw up their hands and say "Forget it, Im going home"  They wont. 

• User profile image
    Keskos

rjdohnert wrote:

Longhorn is not exactly losing WinFS, it will simply not be shipped with its final version. Eventually WinFS will be there.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.