Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Angle of Vista Upgrade Advisor

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Cybermagell​an

So about 5 minutes ago I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor and I have to say I think it's really to keep the masses looking forward to Vista...and not really give any objective advice on upgrading to Vista.

It had already decided that Vista Ultimate as OK for me. However all I selected was Work Anywhere at first. This means I'll spend the $500.00 for Vista Ultimate when really Vista Home ( or any of the other 6 SKUs) MIGHT do what I need. So is it really the users best interest to run this or is it mainly in Microsofts best interest and just give you an application to tell you what you might already know "I HAVE to buy Ultimate!"

Being in the Beta test I feel pretty confindent in saying that I really don't trust the upgrade advisor because I DON'T need half the things in Ultimate (Media Center, and other things)...so what about Vista Professional? Any thoughts?

• spoofnozzle

My 2yo HP desktop (P4-3Ghz, 2GB) won't support the Aero interface... but that's no biggie... in fact... probably a bonus.

• Khamul

spoofnozzle wrote:
    My 2yo HP desktop (P4-3Ghz, 2GB) won't support the Aero interface... but that's no biggie... in fact... probably a bonus.

Far from a bonus. The alternative to Aero Glass, Aero Basic, is the ugliest damn thing I've ever seen. Edit: Unless of course you're one of those people, you know, the ones who use the Classic interface. Tongue Out

• spoofnozzle

Yep... I'm one of those people.

• Rowan

"Congratulations: You can afford a decent computer, why not buy our most expensive OS?!"

Tongue Out

• W3bbo

spoofnozzle wrote:

That's more than enough CPU speed and RAM, just buy a decent graphics card (less than £150 for a 7600-series card)

• littleguru

I'm sooooooooo ready... *singing* beta 2 is coming, *singing* beta 2 is coming...

• siacono

I am running Vista on a 2.2GHz w/1gig DDR Ram and have used a
    Radeon 9550 256DDR and a Radeon 9800 Pro and still only scored a 2 on Vista's performance rating.

• spoofnozzle

W3bbo wrote:
    That's more than enough CPU speed and RAM, just buy a decent graphics card (less than £150 for a 7600-series card)

Nah... like I said... it's no biggie to me that I can't run the Aero thingy... I'm one of those people... just gimme the 'classic' Win95/NT4 interface, and I'm happy.  I currently run XP in Classic mode (theme, start-menu and folders) and have all the bells & whistles disabled.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.