Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

My Microsoft - Did Mini Prompt the Winds of Change?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !
  • User profile image
    Manip

No.

Microsoft's delay to ship Vista (and by extension Office) caused things to turn nasty. If Vista was shipping on its original date Microsoft's stock price wouldn't be at an all time low and people wouldn't be writing stories along the lines of "Is this the end of Microsoft? Will the evil Linux finally finish the cap crusader? Find out next week on ..."

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Yes.

That, plus undoing some of the more... challenged... decisions that have been made in the past.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I'm having a very good week at work.

All that stuff is nice but the coffee improvements! I can't wait!

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Sampy wrote:

I agree saying goodbye to the Farmers Blend coffee and getting new machines is a nice touch.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

jeffsand wrote:

Sampy wrote:

I agree saying goodbye to the Farmers Blend coffee and getting new machines is a nice touch.

Cutting the towels and emptying the office supply rooms were prime examples of bean counter cost cutting without regard for morale or efficiency. 

I remember sending a politely but strongly worded message to Real Estate & Facilities two years ago when they cut the expensive brand of screen cleaning towelettes and went with a no-name cheapie that DID NOT WORK (yes, it still makes me angry - it just streaked the screen something awful).  Anyway, I got back a "we carefully considered blah blah blah and our testing determined this brand is equally effective blah blah blah".   So I hope they bring back screen cleaners that actually work, along with the Microsoft logo pens and the like.  This stuff doesn't cost all that much, and vastly makes up for its cost in morale.

When you try to save money by taking away things that matter more than their cost, you end up losing in the long run.

The Farmers coffee is garbage, always has been.  So indeed, going to free Starbucks will be a vast improvement.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Americans can't make coffee anyway. Really, back when I was in the US in 1999 I don't think I got a single decent coffee. You'd have to order an Espresso to get something remotely resembling European coffee in terms of strength. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Sven Groot wrote:
    Americans can't make coffee anyway. Really, back when I was in the US in 1999 I don't think I got a single decent coffee. You'd have to order an Espresso to get something remotely resembling European coffee in terms of strength.
    Coffee isn't always about strength!

I've had some fantastic strongly flavored coffee best enjoyed in small amounts, and I've enjoyed much more mildly flavored coffee which you could sip for an half hour.

Some of the European style coffee is just used motor oil, both in consistency and flavor.  And some American style coffee is just black water - no flavor, no texture.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

There is still a lot of work to be done in regards to Microsoft, Change has to be genuine, not just an appearance.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

BruceMorgan wrote:
    Some of the European style coffee is just used motor oil, both in consistency and flavor.  And some American style coffee is just black water - no flavor, no texture.

American coffee, to borrow the expression, is like making love in a canoe.
    Although, to be honest, my taste in coffee tends to the small, dark and evil. I don't even take sugar in my espressos.

I don't like milk in my coffee, and I don't like it not hot so sipping it over half an hour is also out of the question. So I might as well go for the shot of bitterness - I like the flavor and it doesn't feel like I'm drinking brackish water.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

BruceMorgan wrote:
    Coffee isn't always about strength!

I've had some fantastic strongly flavored coffee best enjoyed in small amounts, and I've enjoyed much more mildly flavored coffee which you could sip for an half hour.

Thanks to an old Sea Scout leader of mine, I'm used to coffee you have to cut with a knife before you can drink it. You could put a spoon in the coffee he made and it would stand upright. Tongue Out

Nevertheless, we got some rubbish coffee in the US. I'm not talking about latté, cappucino or that kind of stuff, just plain, coffee-flavoured coffee. Honestly, half of the time we ordered plain coffee in the US, you could see the bottom of the cup. That's not coffee imnsho. Smiley

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

When did this thread go from, Did mini prompt the winds of change? to European coffee?  Oh by the way, latin coffee makes european coffee taste like water.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

rjdohnert wrote:
    When did this thread go from, Did mini prompt the winds of change? to European coffee?  Oh by the way, latin coffee makes european coffee taste like water.
    There's this Texaco station about 25 miles north of the Grapevine in Southern California on I-5.  I think they never wash their coffeepots, plus I think they just let the coffee boil down and keep adding more.

Their coffee has a consistency just this side of bearing grease, and tasts about like you'd expect boiled road tar to taste like.

But if you want something to keep you awake, it's the best road coffee around.

• User profile image
    jamie

if your in toronto and want a good coffee go to Rocket Fuel

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Let's get real.

MiniMSFT is a symbol of discontent, not a driving force for change. Yes, the blog is powerful and yes, that yields a certain amount of power. But it's in terms of transparency to the problem.

It's always interesting to see so many people consistently bash Microsoft for doing everthing wrong. It's pandemic. Microsoft is not, however, incompetant; the company as a whole is almost staggeringly good at what it does. It's a big company (and behaves like most big companies), but within that: it performs very well.

The changes sound decent. They're necessary at the moment, both to increase productivity (morale), and also to remain somewhat competitive for good employees. The concept of MyMicrosoft, as well as advancement outside of management, is necessary. It's one of the blindingly obvious things that should have been done a long time ago, but wasn't because it's too difficult.

I would note, of course, that the treatment Microsoft employees get is quite a bit better than employees routinely get in other industries. That comparison is fairly moot, simply because there are companies in the tech industry who do quite a bit more.

• User profile image
    jamie

Michael Griffiths wrote:

MiniMSFT is a symbol of discontent, not a driving force for change. 

but that = one and the same?
    the winter of our discontent
    dissention breeds whatever? (forget saying)

mini = change

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

jamie wrote:
    but that = one and the same?
    the winter of our discontent
    dissention breeds whatever? (forget saying)

mini = change

No - because that implies that MiniMSFT has the power to create change.

Rather, MiniMSFT echoes many of the concerns Microsoft employees have.

This is seperate because the changes would have occured without MiniMSFT. Now, I happen to think that the public nature of MniMSFT's blog contributed to the speed with the changes could be implemented; it's easier for the HR team to get support when there's a sore thumb sticking out. However, you will note that the changes are different from wat MiniMSFT has been demanding, even if they overlap in many areas.

I am curious to know what the internal blogs are like in discussing the same issues Mini has raised. One problem with MiniMSFT is that he's focused more on raising awareness than solving problems; this leads to relatively low useful information.

The comments are also not the most enlightened I have read.

All in all, MiniMSFT probably helped proponents of the change get support from potential roadblocks by raising awareness of the issue. It does not, however, follow that "MiniMSFT created the change;" I would wager his influence being a minor part of the overall picture.

A considerably more important factor has been talented employees leaving to competitors.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I have been to Toronto and that coffee shop, I have a friend who lives up there with her husband and kids.

jamie wrote:
    if your in toronto and want a good coffee go to Rocket Fuel

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.