Windows Vista Ultimate Edition - 500€ or 638.88$ or 339.87£

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

I saw the prices over on MSblog. Yikes it's expensive. :O 

• User profile image
    Manip

Your f*cking kidding me?!

I knew Ultimate Edition was a way for Microsoft to increase the total cost of Windows Vista but by almost £200? You have GOT to be joking?

Screw Microsoft.

At that cost it is almost cheaper to buy an entire Dell PC.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

In the face of increased competition, Microsoft doubles the price across their entire product range for Windows Vista. Windows Vista Business clocks in at 650 Euros, Home Permium at 400 Euros, and the Ultimate - which combines both - at a mere 500 Euros.

The cheapest, crippled, version costs a mere 200 euros - great value!

Somehow, I doubt it.

I expect to see Home Basic at around $50.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

The most basic version is $255, which makes no sence at all, because XP home edition is only $80.

And if it doesn't make sence, it probably isn't true.  Why would this guy somehow have an inside scoup?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

WTF? If this is true (and again it probably is)...

F Microsoft seriously, I'll go with Linux/Apple (yeah I said it so what?) if this is what it'll cost (if I don't get it for free for Beta testing(which I probably wont)).

But damn is this how they plan on recouping 7 years of development and countless pushbacks? If it's real now I'm pissed.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Manip wrote:

At that cost it is almost cheaper to buy an entire Dell PC.

Start the "Dell pays Microsoft to increase sales" conspiracy theories...

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

hello?
    How is it possible for these prices to be true?
    And I somehow doubt msblogs' referance of an msn space written in a foreign language is trustworthy.

So basically, I'm saying that these prices are bogus.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Cybermagellan wrote:
    WTF? If this is true (and again it probably is)...

Excuse me, how is this "Probably true"?

Dd you notice the fact that Ultimate is MORE EXENSIVE than Business?

Did you forget that Ultimate includes Business features in it? That it's Home + Business + Subscription features?

Did you notice it came from a random MSN Spaces in a different language?

Did you even subject it to a "rational" test? How is Home Basic going to be 250% the price of XP Home, which is roughly the equivalent to Vista Premium, or at worst Media Center Edition?

Honestly.

The prices are obviously made up.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

thats about what w2k3 server cost  from dell
    if this is going to be the price  I will be looking else where

30 computers * $638.88= $19,166.40 

you  buy all new clients for about $400.00  = $12,000

That price does not make sense  

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Well, the prices are made up, but I figured I could still translate the MSN space.

Volkan's Space wrote:

With these prices it acts with security around Full Packaged Products those expensive is as system Builder versions however two free support inquiries with Microsoft contains.
    -Windows Vista Home basic: 200€ - > WinXP Home FPP: $199.00
    -Windows Vista Home Premium: 400€ -> WinXP Prof FPP: $269.00 
    --Contained:
    -----Media center edition
    -----Tablet PC edition 
    -Windows Vista Ultimate edition: 500€
    -Windows Vista Business: 650€ 
    -Windows Vista Enterprise: 800€
    --Contained:
    -----Contain Virtual PC express
    Note: This offer comes from 24.04.2006

Fine! You cought me! I used Google Language tools! Tongue Out
    It was in German.

• User profile image
    Zeo

These are full retail prices. Remember Windows XP Home Edition Brand New full retail costs $299.

• User profile image
    erik_

So just help me out here.

When an online pricewatch decides to gues what the prices are and place the products online (probaly to attract visitors) this suddenly are the prices?

Edit: The source of the price information is some ugly looking pricewatch site: http://www.guenstiger.de/gt-preisvergleich/EDV_PC_Microsoft_Windows_Vista_Ultimate_Edition.htm

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Zeo wrote:
    These are full retail prices. Remember Windows XP Home Edition Brand New full retail costs $299.

No, it's XP pro (non-upgrade) that costs $300.

• User profile image
    AndyC

What's the problem? Nobody buys Windows at full retail price. Most people pay OEM when they buy their PC, the rest tend to be buying upgrades.

• User profile image
    eddwo

That price seems about what I was expecting. XP Home Upgrade was £80, full retail was about £150, and full retail XP Pro was £299.

Don't forget that you can now upgrade on the fly without reinstalling. So rather than spending all that money up front  you could jump in with Home Premium, and then bump it up to Ultimate another year down the line if you find there are missing features you really need.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

alwaysmc2 wrote:

Zeo wrote: These are full retail prices. Remember Windows XP Home Edition Brand New full retail costs $299.

No, it's XP pro (non-upgrade) that costs $300.

In the US maybe. Here in the Netherlands Windows XP Home NL full costs €289 and Windows XP Pro NL full costs €429.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

(not meaning to be a troll) but...

if you go onto the ubuntu site and request it, they will send you a cd for £$free

...just a cynical thought.... I bet that you wont be able to use the corresponding version of Visual Studio on anything below "ultimate" edition

• User profile image
    Manip

martin_lovick wrote:
    (not meaning to be a troll) but...

if you go onto the ubuntu site and request it, they will send you a cd for £$free

...just a cynical thought.... I bet that you wont be able to use the corresponding version of Visual Studio on anything below "ultimate" edition

"Note meaning to be a troll" means "meaning to be a troll" and the comment is just that. 100% trolling though and though.

If these ARE accurate prices I simply won't be buying Vista. If I run across a cheap alternate source (e.g. OEM, Ex-business, Educational etc) then I might go with that.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.