Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Developing for iPod?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I've got a great idea for an iPod-based application, I'm not going to spill the beans here because someone will probably steal my idea from me.

But basically, I've had a quick look around and I can't see any SDK that allows you to build applications for the iPod, which is a shame.

Anyone?

• User profile image
    Manip

You can't.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Bribe some Apple employee for the software they use to flash/program it.  That's about all I could suggest.

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

Google iPod Linux. They've ported DooM and stuff to the iPod that way.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CyberGeek wrote:
    Google iPod Linux. They've ported DooM and stuff to the iPod that way.

Well yeah, I know that's an option but my proposed product targets those that wouldn't even know what Linux is.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

W3bbo wrote:
    ...someone will probably steal my idea from me.

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

Howard Aiken
    US computer scientist (1900 - 1973)

.....moreover, it's the execution, not the idea itself, that truly adds value.

People have great ideas all the time. They just never do anything aboutit.

• User profile image
    eddwo

About the only thing you can do is use this protocol to take over the contents of the display and respond to click-wheel commands.

But it would only work while a hardware device remains attached to the dock connector, and would prevent you accessing any of the standard iPod menus at the same time.

Theres no iPod SDK, and only Apple can create advanced accessories that add their own interface or menus to the iPod firmware.

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

You ever seen those HTML-ified notes? I think there's a special language for that. That's as close to "programming" you'll get on the iPod software.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.