Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Exams

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    themaffeo

I'm going to be taking some of the Microsoft Cert exams in the next month or so and I was wondering if anyone out there had some tips on good exam study guides.  I'm just curious what everyone elses has found helpful.  BTW, my first test is the 70-305 exam.

• User profile image
    Manip2

1: A, 2: E, 3: A,
    4: B, 5: C, 6: E,
    7: B, 8: D, 9: C ....

Opps uhh study guide.. hmm.. I like the ">http://www.cbtnuggets.com/&e=7385"> CBT Nuggets training videos.

• User profile image
    Keskos

themaffeo wrote:
    I'm going to be taking some of the Microsoft Cert exams in the next month or so and I was wondering if anyone out there had some tips on good exam study guides.  I'm just curious what everyone elses has found helpful.  BTW, my first test is the 70-305 exam.

I am not working in the industry, but how important these exams are really? Does it really pay off?

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Depends who you ask and depends on the job. Some places require a MCSE, but that's mainly because they need to maintain a certain number of MS-certified staff members to keep their MS certification as a company.

Generally for work stuff, it depends even more. Some managers respect it. Others think it's fluff.

If you're looking to get hired at Microsoft, it doesn't seem to make a hoot of a difference, because they care more about whether you're smart and can get the job done than whether you can pass a bunch of exams (ironic, eh?).

Overall if you've got the time to do the studying and the cash they aren't bad, but it'll take as much time and cost as much to do your MCSE as to do one year of Uni in night school... So it's up to where you're at and where you feel you need to be, really.

note: the above is a whole lot of text just to say "it depends", eh? Wink

• User profile image
    Steve411

themaffeo wrote:

Can we take the real one now ? Wink

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I'm not sure which ones have the trickier questions, the selftest ones or the real ones? At least in my case, I could have sworn the selftest ones are harder.

• User profile image
    JamesC

I'm studying for the MCAD and using Kalani's books.  I find them helpful.  Also, contact a test center like New Horizons and ask them for some keys to msmeasureup.com (they give them away usually).  There you can take practice tests in study/cert/adaptive modes.

As far as taking classes from a test center, I personally do not recommend it.  They are very expensive and I don't feel they saved me any time or studying.

The salary issue really does depend on the employer.  I was able to negotiate an increase in salary upon completion of my MCAD based on the statistics in the "Profit and Loss" article at mcpmag.com.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

• User profile image
    Jorriss

Use Transcender. I have never faild a MS exam when I've use the Transcender tests. They are a fantastic resource.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.