Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Foreign Outsource is it a sad day in America?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    y2k4life

I have witness firsthand America Corporations (Earthlink) going down the tubes by way of outsourcing.

They ended up screwing me over by providing the worst support. They eneded up screwing america out of jobs. They make us look bad when foreign people have to witness amercians complain about american companies. when it is not there company and they don't care about fixing problems. I litterly had the people on the phone doing nothing but laughing at me (america?).

I'm just glad Earthlink is saving money by doing this and making America look good NOT!

In all reality there was a fix but they where still having problems getting it to work. Well having to deal with the incompetence of tech support reading scripts "Click Start | what do you see | click control panel | what do you see | click network | if you want me to setup network option tell me I will go there and do it. Don't walk me thruogh it. I was getting frustraded and was deciding to dump them. I understand the walk through but the minute you know you have an experienced user step up the support. This went on for days every call back I got the incompetant tech asking me to click Start | control panel | network options. Also simple things like on day one if you ask me the modem type then you don't need to ask for it over and over and over. Write it down, that only let me know that they don't even take notes.

Well in the end after 72+ hours they decided to send out a tech. I said no way and went with someone else because they could not even guerentee a fix. I decided not to save a buck and decided to dump Earthlink and spend more (almost 3x) money and hopefully keep it in America.

I could tell you the whole story but I think if I did it would end up being a book.

Thank you for basing the performance of your company and american corporations image on a 3rd party company in some foreign country. I guess your interest in the performance of the company is not what you want to control but have some 3rd party do it for you. Enjoy the beach (is that in american or somewhere else?) and thanks for supporting your american couterparts.

Buyer beware because if you where like me and just thinking it works why bother well this was 2 years ago they switched. I did not know until something went wrong and something went totaly wrong. Don't wait dump them now and the only american support is when you want to cancel your account so there was and there are no problems communicating when it comes time to cancel.

One more thing who ever they out source too is not the problem great people got to konw a few (after being on the phone for so long). Support people where humans just like you and I, they where cool about it at time just like me and at other time frustrated as all hell. But they where just put in a sistuation by greed and money along with me. I'm sure Earthlink gave them alot of education instead they more than likely gave them the scripts and the phone number to TIER 1 and said have fun.

Thanks to my new provider I'm back up and running!!!
    Cut off your nose to spite your face

• User profile image
    Manip

From my experience foreign telephone support workers are just as bad as their Weston counterparts. The rare exception being the ones that can't speak understandable English and or understand your English though your accent.

I don't think it is too much to ask that when I phone a English company on their English (implicit) support line that I get a solid English speaker, is it?

But as I said that is a rarity. Interestingly I also had that problem when I was speaking to an American support person (they couldn't understand my accent) - which just goes to show that the problem knows not international borders.

All in all out-sourcing isn't surprising or scary, it is just a natural consequence of the modern world. The trick is to retrain before you become redundant; that is what a lot of people forget.

They go into work every day and expect that work to continue to exist until their death... If it doesn't they blame the government, the companies, the foreign workers, the economy etc..

Did you consider that the blame is far closer to home? There will always be jobs in I.T. and programming within the Weston world, you need to make sure your trained to perform those jobs.

• User profile image
    Minh

You just can't stop outsourcing. Gotta learn to live with it. People overseas want to make a living, too.

I like Thomas Friedman's idea. Have a federal wage guarantee for people who lost their jobs due to outsourcing. This way, they can continue supporting themselves while learning a new trade. Kind of like unemployment guarantee -- but longer.

• User profile image
    Manip

Minh wrote:
    I like Thomas Friedman's idea. Have a federal wage guarantee for people who lost their jobs due to outsourcing. This way, they can continue supporting themselves while learning a new trade. Kind of like unemployment guarantee -- but longer.

Interesting concept. You can't argue that it is a bad idea because as state schools have shown, education comes back into the economy. Thus the government will get its money back via tax and then some. It would also keep America top of the tables in high tech employees.

On a side note: You know you can get insurance to do exactly that? It's called "Unemployment Insurance." 

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:

Interesting concept. You can't argue that it is a bad idea because as state schools have shown, education comes back into the economy. Thus the government will get its money back via tax and then some. It would also keep America top of the tables in high tech employees.

On a side note: You know you can get insurance to do exactly that? It's called "Income Insurance." 

Unfortunately, our government is reeling from a president who is getting 60% DISAPPROVAL rating & we're all too busy talking about terrorism, illegal immigrants, English as an official language, Christianity under attack, abortion -- all the right-winger's hot-button topics.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Canada has Employment Insurance, everyone has to pay into it each paycheck up to a certain amount. Does the U.S. not have it's own version?

• User profile image
    Minh

Harlequin wrote:
    Canada has Emplyment Insurance, everyone has to pay into it each paycheck up to a certain amount. Does the U.S. not have it's own version?
    We do also, but it's a state-by-state basis. In my state, you can collect unemployment benefits for 75% of your previous wage (up to a certain amount) for six months -- if it's proven that you didn't get fired or quit (maybe your company shut down its plant).

But to pick up a new trade, I'd make it a year -- and discounted college / training credits.

• User profile image
    y2k4life

Nice live with it.

No find another company if there is one.

What are we going to become one gigantic consuming machine where everyone outside supports us.

Earthlink is an American company? I did not sign up with services in some foregien company. Based in america outsourced in foreign countries?

We just need something that spells out how your company works. Like made in china. Supported by X. Therefore we will know the quality base on communication skills and knowledge of home culter.

I just know that my new provider is not only here in Amercia but right in back yard. Provide the same service the only difference is price. In order to practice what I preach I still singed up. I'm not going to be cheep and sell out. I will support american eployees and help pay for the check at the end of the week.

I'm not saying I don't help out with foriegn contributions but when I do it I do it with intention and I do it directly. I don't need earthlink or any other coporations help. What I need is for them if they proclaim to be an American company than keep the work here.

How much percentage of an American company be outsourced and still be considered and Amercian company?

On the people factor that is why I say that the people I talked with are people just like me or you (with or with out the knowledge americans can be dumb too) put in a sistuation by Earthlink. The quesiton is who are they to do this? No one and that is why I cancel. I rather communicate better (or worse) about a frustrating problem in America with an American and I'm sure they don't want to hear aoubt our problems. I'm sure they want work and money let just figure something else.

• User profile image
    Manip

y2k4life wrote:
    Earthlink is an American company?

Nope. They are an international company.

y2k4life wrote:
    We just need something that spells out how your company works. Like made in china. Supported by X. Therefore we will know the quality base on communication skills and knowledge of home culter.

Why would a foreign company produce a lower quality product? And or why would their communication be worse? Communication is about what you have to say, not how you say it. Thus good or bad communication has little to do with accents or languages.

y2k4life wrote:
    I will support american eployees and help pay for the check at the end of the week.

What's funny is you have no idea what percentage of the things you buy aren't produced in America by Americans. I bet the computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard your using right now weren't.

y2k4life wrote:
    How much percentage of an American company be outsourced and still be considered and Amercian company?

No percent... There is no such thing as an American company in an international world. 

• User profile image
    y2k4life

Manip wrote:

y2k4life wrote: Earthlink is an American company?

Nope. They are an international company.

Thank you that clears it up. But still no support in America.

Manip wrote:

y2k4life wrote: We just need something that spells out how your company works. Like made in china. Supported by X. Therefore we will know the quality base on communication skills and knowledge of home culter.

Why would a foreign company produce a lower quality product? And or why would their communication be worse? Communication is about what you have to say, not how you say it. Thus good or bad communication has little to do with accents or languages.

Well the communication break down was there and after 72+ hours of off the phone on the phone it got frustrating. Not just one person but a majority. To minigate stress and lessen the tention one talks about things that are going on in america weather, Hey how about that Play off games, etc... Go Phoenix does not go over to well.

Manip wrote:

y2k4life wrote: I will support american eployees and help pay for the check at the end of the week.

What's funny is you have no idea what percentage of the things you buy aren't produced in America by Americans. I bet the computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard your using right now weren't.

Well depend which one you talk about you assume I only have one with out asking. 2 are made by international companies. There other 3 are home built with components by international companies and again buyer beware.
    Manip wrote:

y2k4life wrote: How much percentage of an American company be outsourced and still be considered and Amercian company?

No percent... There is no such thing as an American company in an international world. 

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

There is no such thing as an American company in an international world.

I read this and had an epiphany.
    So I changed my shorts.

1) I was patriotically upset and then instantly realized
    2) that was a very perfect thing to read, it affirms my own hopes

Life is good here, and that no reason to panic.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.