Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista beta 2 (5384.4) issues

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cravikiran

So, glass always worked on my laptop and it works on 5384.4 also.  I know in the previous build (5365), it would sometimes switch from glass on to glass off when it claimed some program required it.  In 5384.4 though, it doesnt prompt at all, and switches between glass on and off very often.  I can't tell what exactly is causing it - so far just using the regular windows apps - IE, explorer, etc.  Is it performance of something?  Anyone else having this issue, and any way to make it stop switching and just keep it on?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Nope, sorry, not seeing that on either system.

• User profile image
    cravikiran

I guess I'll turn this into the problems I'm still having with beta 2... the UAC stuff has gotten a lot better since pre-5365 and its definitely getting there.  But, I still have major problems with some very basic stuff that really irritates me. 

For example, when I try to delete multiple folders in explorer, there are way too many dialogs, after which, the delete will mostly fail.  I first get a pop-up (not in the protected desktop container or whatever the grayed out screen with single security dialog is called) asking whether I want to authorize the delete.  I click Continue (making sure to check to apply it to all items).  Then, I guess it does the elevation at this point because it now displays a second dialog - this one is in the grayed out screen, etc.  I go ahead and tell it to continue with the file operation in this SECOND dialog. 

Now, this deleting is not the only place where I have to face TWO security prompts for the SAME action.  Am I the only one thinks thats just wrong? and I'm surprised its lasted through this many builds - is it really that much of a non-issue that it got missed?

Now, with the deleting, it doesn't end here.  After it finishes doing something (the progress bar in the dialog shows full completion), it now shows a third prompt.  This time it wants to create some file somewhere.  WTF??  And this is again one of those where I have to check to make sure all things get this done or it'll bug me for each one.  And mind you, the options in this are to "Try Again" or "Skip".  Again, WTF?

Ok, so when it finishes some other thing now after the third dialog, it would be at least tolerable if the stuff actually got deleted.  But nope - explorer will initially show them as deleted.  But if I press F5 to refresh, all except one of the folders I originally tried to delete are still there!  !! !! I have to proceed to go through each folder and go through each of 3 dialogs to delete.

Am I missing something??

• User profile image
    figuerres

cravikiran wrote:
    I guess I'll turn this into the problems I'm still having with beta 2... the UAC stuff has gotten a lot better since pre-5365 and its definitely getting there.  But, I still have major problems with some very basic stuff that really irritates me. 

For example, when I try to delete multiple folders in explorer, there are way too many dialogs, after which, the delete will mostly fail.  I first get a pop-up (not in the protected desktop container or whatever the grayed out screen with single security dialog is called) asking whether I want to authorize the delete.  I click Continue (making sure to check to apply it to all items).  Then, I guess it does the elevation at this point because it now displays a second dialog - this one is in the grayed out screen, etc.  I go ahead and tell it to continue with the file operation in this SECOND dialog. 

Now, this deleting is not the only place where I have to face TWO security prompts for the SAME action.  Am I the only one thinks thats just wrong? and I'm surprised its lasted through this many builds - is it really that much of a non-issue that it got missed?

Now, with the deleting, it doesn't end here.  After it finishes doing something (the progress bar in the dialog shows full completion), it now shows a third prompt.  This time it wants to create some file somewhere.  WTF??  And this is again one of those where I have to check to make sure all things get this done or it'll bug me for each one.  And mind you, the options in this are to "Try Again" or "Skip".  Again, WTF?

Ok, so when it finishes some other thing now after the third dialog, it would be at least tolerable if the stuff actually got deleted.  But nope - explorer will initially show them as deleted.  But if I press F5 to refresh, all except one of the folders I originally tried to delete are still there!  !! !! I have to proceed to go through each folder and go through each of 3 dialogs to delete.

Am I missing something??

I can See it now:

"Vista the System that gives you a clear view: look but don't touch!"
    Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It's mainly only ACL permission stuff where UAC falls flat, for most other stuff I don't think it's a problem. But then again, I run XP as a non-admin, so from my perspective UAC is a lot better and in fact a whole lot less irritating than the hoops I had to jump through in XP.

• User profile image
    jamie

Chris Pirillo has a great post about Vista beta2

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/05/24/windows-vista-feedback/

(from scobles links)

• User profile image
    Manip

jamie wrote:
    Chris Pirillo has a great post about Vista beta2

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/05/24/windows-vista-feedback/

(from scobles links)

Wow, that's the most annually retentive post I've ever read... Can you imagine what this person does when they actually find a problem as opposed to "OMFG BATMAN THAT BUTTON IS NOT PIXEL ALIGNED!!!1!!"

• User profile image
    jamie

that post was one of the few people pointing out normal stuff like things not being lined up, different fonts, waste of space etc

important stuff to some people

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    important stuff to some people

They're called "nitpickers" where I come from. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    tribalcactus

Are you using IE in full screen?  In the later builds, when you maximize IE, it almost appears as if glass is off, as everything (including taskbar) turns slate gray.

IIRC, when glass is turned off for an application, you should see your display briefly switch to a black screen, then switch back to the app/desktop with no glass.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

tribalcactus wrote:
    Are you using IE in full screen?  In the later builds, when you maximize IE, it almost appears as if glass is off, as everything (including taskbar) turns slate gray.

This is correct. Glass isn't actually turned off, but the window frame for a maximised window is not transparent. They said they tried keeping it transparent and it didn't look good.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

figuerres wrote:
    I can See it now:

"Vista the System that gives you a clear view: look but don't touch!"

Let's see... Sometimes your Windows look like glass, sometimes they don't... Is it raining? Smiley

• User profile image
    l0ckergn0me

Manip wrote:
    Wow, that's the most annually retentive post I've ever read... Can you imagine what this person does when they actually find a problem as opposed to "OMFG BATMAN THAT BUTTON IS NOT PIXEL ALIGNED!!!1!!"

Yeah, and it's attitudes like this which cause potentially "great" products to come across as "okay." If that kind of sloppiness is happening on the surface, I cringe when I think about what's going on underneath.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Sven Groot wrote:
    jamie wrote:important stuff to some people

They're called "nitpickers" where I come from.

It's called "fit and finish" where I come from, and is the reason people buy motorcycles from Honda and Yamaha, rather than Polaris.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Cairo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:
    jamie wrote: important stuff to some people

They're called "nitpickers" where I come from.

It's called "fit and finish" where I come from, and is the reason people buy motorcycles from Honda and Yamaha, rather than Polaris.

Attention to detail,

it's what seperates the good, from the excellent.

• User profile image
    MvTCracker

How to toggle Aero Glass on and off in Windows Vista

"Very weird I know but the key combination you need to switch Aero Glass on / off (given that your system's configured for Aero Glass) is Control-Shift-F9

I'm sure there must be a rational explaination as to why such a combo but it's beyond me!"

http://www.hdrive.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=444

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

I have to agree with all of his comments and I make these types of comments to people all the time.  They need to fix these things!! Its a huge, huge deal and I dont think Microsoft gets it when it comes to design.  I love Microsoft products and the innovation but their design always seems to lack and I thought they were gonna change this with Vista.

At first it seemed like they were, and then it all went down hill!  Aero Glass leaves alot to be desired, lets be honest here - its definitly not the best UI I have ever seen.  Ok, so lets put that past them, then all the uncomformity, and I understand its beta but jesus thats alot of cleaning up to do and well lets just say its easier to cleanup while you work than to cleanup after your done... The mentality and the sheer amount of work to do after your done is huge, why cleanup were done with the product... FINE FINE we will change the fonts be screw you im not moving the buttons man!

Some of his biggest gripes have been mine for the longest times, the repainting of stuff looks horrid!! Should NEVER show up to a user and it makes it all seem so cheap after all the glamour it wipes mud on it.  If your going to use Phade in/out be consistent with it for god sakes!  If you fade in to login, fadout to logoff - whats the deal!!

But whatever if there are fancy dazzling animations and fades then the GUI doesnt matter even though its suppose to be one of the focal points of the entire OS!

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

I've had my system crash 3 times so far... not even a blue-screen... just... bang... and we are now re-booting.

No probs with the hardware prior to Vista... and ran XP just fine.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.