Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

News Flash: Apparently Windows XP SP2 has not been released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Simo

Yup, according to the tech support dept of Electronic Arts, "SP2 is still in testing".

so everybodt please note that any links you see to download SP2, order SP2 on CD, or the release notes themselves are all figments of your own over-active imagaination.

My rant is almost over but I needed somewhere to vent spleen after trying to install a BF Vietnam Server, mailing EA with all the details, then getting this in reply.

"Thank you for contacting EA technical support. I am sorry that you are having difficulty.

Until XP SP2 has officially been released, it is not supported by our game. SP2 is still in testing. I would suggest reporting this to Microsoft.

Once SP2 is officially released we can take a look at how the final release works with our games."

So not only is the SP2 release a giant mass hallucination on such a scale that even Scully couldn't provide a rational explanation, but EA do not take part in beta and release candidate programs for major MS initiatives like SP2.

Of course, another explanation is that i just got a reply from the gap-year student (US translation: intern) working the graveyard shift at EA tech support and my geek ego fell over itself in showing off the levels of sarcasm it can stoop to.

Either way, this post is my official method of reporting the issue to MS.

Battlefield Vietnam Server 1.1 and Windows XP SP2, it no worky.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Hmm, it most certainly has been released. My dad got it on Friday night via automatic update.

• User profile image
    Simo

Scobleizer I use a similar yard stick myself.

If my mum knows about a particular problem/solution, then the IT pro I'm talking to bloody well should.

On a similar paternal issue, my dad still has an issue with Windows. After what is 7 years for him, he still finds it hillarious that he has to press Start to stop the computer.

It's the main crux of his verbal essay on why computer people have no common sense. He regularly uses it to take the mick out of me. Appreciate deadlines are tight for Longhorn, but can someone sort this out?

His solution, if anybodies interested, is to have a Stop button on the RHS. That does all the stoppy type things, reset, logg off, hibernate, etc. Not so keen myself.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

scobleizer wrote:
    Hmm, it most certainly has been released. My dad got it on Friday night via automatic update.

Lucky you Scoble, you got your dad to use it.  I have been trying to get my mom to upgrade to Windows XP, she still runs 2000 Pro.  Her machine will take it and will work with XP.  Maybe one day I will talk her into upgrading.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W
  • User profile image
    Keskos

scobleizer wrote:

I hope everybody can get the update as soon as possible, since Microsoft is not letting everybody to download the update at the same time due to bandwidth concerns.

• User profile image
    Keskos
  • User profile image
    Jeremy W

You edited your post again. You asked why you weren't getting it yet. The "Ahem" was to let you know why.

No idea WHY you edited your original post. From now on, do I really need to quote every post of yours so people know what I'm responding to?!

• User profile image
    Manip2

[Hits Keskos with a rolled up newspaper]

• User profile image
    Keskos

Jeremy W. wrote:
    You edited your post again. You asked why you weren't getting it yet. The "Ahem" was to let you know why.

No idea WHY you edited your original post. From now on, do I really need to quote every post of yours so people know what I'm responding to?!

Is this another you are calling people racists, bigots, liars thing?

Manip2 wrote:
    [Hits Keskos with a rolled up newspaper]

Getting physical heh? Sigh.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Keskos wrote:
    Jeremy W. wrote: You edited your post again. You asked why you weren't getting it yet. The "Ahem" was to let you know why.

No idea what you're talking about. I'm not calling you anything.

You edited your post when you hadn't said anything wrong. You asked a question, that I answered. Then you edited your post.

And I still have no idea why.

• User profile image
    manickernel

..this is better than Trudeau

Larry, Mo, and Curly Wink

• User profile image
    Keskos

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Keskos wrote:
    Jeremy W. wrote: You edited your post again. You asked why you weren't getting it yet. The "Ahem" was to let you know why.

No idea what you're talking about. I'm not calling you anything.

You edited your post when you hadn't said anything wrong. You asked a question, that I answered. Then you edited your post.

And I still have no idea why.

You are accusing me of editing my post? What is this about? Are you ok?

Last time you accused me calling people racists, liars and bigots, and now this. It is truly amazing. I wonder where you are going with this attitude.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Keskos wrote:

Last time you accused me calling people racists, liars and bigots, and now this. It is truly amazing. I wonder where you are going with this attitude.

Yes, you edited your post. Consider the flow of the conversation. My post only seems out of place now because your post, above it, no longer says "I am unsure why Microsoft hasn't released this update to me yet".

As I said, from now on I will simply quote all your replies in my responses so that when you DO edit your posts, it's easy for me to point out.

• User profile image
    lars

Jeremy W. wrote:
    From now on, do I really need to quote every post of yours so people know what I'm responding to?!

Fair question. Editing is one thing. Pretending it was never there in the first place is another. And not very respectful either I might add.

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

Incredible how we getting along so well here Wink

/me Step's Up to a moderator position.

Come one people , exchange e-mail and fight there , you might even like each other.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Keskos wrote:
    I guess you are running out of accusations, why don't you stick with your earlier claim that I am calling people racists, bigots etc...?

This isn't worth it anymore. I'm ending my participation in this vein of the conversation because it's getting rather repetitive.

Hell, it was repetitive the first time you started in on me.

• User profile image
    Keskos

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Keskos wrote:

Yes, you edited your post. Consider the flow of the conversation. My post only seems out of place now because your post, above it, no longer says "I am unsure why Microsoft hasn't released this update to me yet".

As I said, from now on I will simply quote all your replies in my responses so that when you DO edit your posts, it's easy for me to point out.

I guess you are running out of accusations, why don't you stick with your earlier claim that I am calling people racists, bigots etc...?

lars wrote:
    Jeremy W. wrote:From now on, do I really need to quote every post of yours so people know what I'm responding to?!

Fair question. Editing is one thing. Pretending it was never there in the first place is another. And not very respectful either I might add.

There are so many disrespectful things going on here in the past week lars. I don't think you care about respect one bit. I wonder who pretends what?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.