Coffeehouse Thread

275 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel 9 Update Planning

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

Hi Everyone,

We're in the process of planning out our next major update to Channel 9.  We're starting this with this post thread here in the Coffeehouse.

As many of you have noticed we've been doing a fair amount of work building out the recently launched 10 site. We have another update planned for 10 that should launch in the next couple of weeks.  When that update is complete we plan to move back onto Channel 9.

Long time Niners know that Channel 9 is built on a mutation of the ASP.NET Forums (the predecessor to community server) and it has become difficult to update.  With the launch of 10 we set off to build a new codebase that we could grow into for all of the sites that our team is asked to create.  With 10, bit by bit we're getting the base infrastructure required for Channel 9.  In fact if you look closely at the site, you'll notice the recent additions of a media library and soon there will be forums.

Our dream is to have one code base across our sites, but preserve the tone, style and integrity that is 9. 

Our curent thinking is to do two updates to Channel 9.  The first would include a homepage redesign to simplify and also to improve visibility to the large amount of content being created on Channel 9.  In this release we'll also perform a number of bug fixes and minor feature updates.  These will be completed in the short term and our hope is have it released somewhere around the end of June.

Once this is complete we'll move onto a bigger project that will get 9 running on the same "core base" as 10. We promise never to take away from the soul of Channel 9.  We are deeply aware that the sites have different audiences Smiley, but we do need to get on one codebase for the sites.  Some things will only be present in C9 and others will get shared across the site.  For example we want to update Sandbox and revamp the Wiki this year, most likely those features won't get pushed over to 10.

We'll use this thread to keep you up to date, share screenshots of the hompage redesign and include further updates on the C9 V3 project.

Let us know what you think.  Niners made C9 what it is, we need your help to make it better.

The Channel 9 Team...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Please give me a webservice because I don't feel like updating C9Music to work with another C9 redesign. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

sounds great... couple of things

1. this update will not effect the 2 yr running c9 DB that currently exists and user access to it (like we have now) ?

2. the Slashdot effect:  say what you like about it - but it is plain and simple - consistant and uncluttered.  Hopefully the coffeehouse will remain uncluttered by extra announcements, media clips, ajax frills etc

edit - although it would be great to let us choose to run c9 gadgets on the right -empty- side so long as we can make our own - and or use yours (like the current featured box)

• User profile image
    die-Sel

I for one would like some MS based news, such as BETA Releases maybe dtaes for just C9ers.

but anyway, good luck with the re-work, I cant wait untill it pops out.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

jamie wrote:
    sounds great... couple of things

1. this update will not effect the 2 yr running c9 DB that currently exists and user access to it (like we have now) ?

2. the Slashdot effect:  say what you like about it - but it is plain and simple - consistant and uncluttered.  Hopefully the coffeehouse will remain uncluttered by extra announcements, media clips, ajax frills etc

edit - although it would be great to let us choose to run c9 gadgets on the right -empty- side so long as we can make our own - and or use yours (like the current featured box)

1.  We will preserver all data and URLs.  We'll probably create a URL handler though to redirect them to more friendly URLs.

2.  Yes.  This is definitely on our minds, I want to keep Coffeehouse as is.  We will not introduce more announcements, clips, etc. 

We are interested in more Ajax in the forums though to eliminate refreshes.  Thoughts?

• User profile image
    die-Sel

Less re-freshing, sounds good Smiley

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Sven Groot wrote:
    Please give me a webservice because I don't feel like updating C9Music to work with another C9 redesign.

This is one of the advantages of the 10 base, it has a web service API at its core.

What methods/data would you need?  We hope that we can enable all sorts of C9 Mashups when the update is complete.

Please keep the feedback coming. 

-Jeff

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jeffsand wrote:
    What methods/data would you need?  We hope that we can enable all sorts of C9 Mashups when the update is complete.

In order to support C9IAC and C9Music, I need to be able to change the avatar and the avatar caption, that's all.

• User profile image
    jamie

sorry - one last thing: international fields and times
    Profile - name / city / country  = jamie toronto canada

so on everything i post or create it would say:

"Posted to C9 at 7pm  ( Your time 10pm)"  ...or something that shows the same thing

other posts would show:

"Posted to C9 at 7pm ( by _user_ at _timezone of country_)"

edit - it would be so great to see:
    a) where everyone is from
    b) if im talking to someone at 4pm here and its 2am there

• User profile image
    jamie

..um ok...  FEATURES =

- inline polling ( if clicked on by thread creator)
    - upload image from local drive (under 5 megs)
    - PM's  = Private Message - so i could let minh no if i updated a post on the c9park blog or whomever
    - themes and the ability for us to make them

and last - an extra request to adam - is there anyway i could get the real C9guy file?  Illustrator?  ai ?  corel?  wmf? (vector)  front / side views? i tried making it - but its not the same

edit - actually - publicly posted so we could all have it - just like downloading a Microsoft Windows logo eps - there should be a whole new section - c9guy psds and vectors! Wink

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Sven Groot wrote:
    jeffsand wrote:What methods/data would you need?  We hope that we can enable all sorts of C9 Mashups when the update is complete.

In order to support C9IAC and C9Music, I need to be able to change the avatar and the avatar caption, that's all.

We already have this in 10, so that will just be there once we move the code base over.  Cool

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jamie wrote:
    sorry - one last thing: international fields and times
    Profile - name / city / country  = jamie toronto canada

so on everything i post or create it would say:

"Posted to C9 at 7pm  ( Your time 10pm)"  ...or something that shows the same thing

other posts would show:

"Posted to C9 at 7pm ( by _user_ at _timezone of country_)"

edit - it would be so great to see:
    a) where everyone is from
    b) if im talking to someone at 4pm here and its 2am there

We have 90% of this already in 10, which will of course come through to C9.  We'll discuss showing a translated time for the person who posted the comment.  It will take no time at all to code since the capability is already there, but we want to make sure we don't get too much information in your face.  We'll discuss it.

• User profile image
    jamie

so that's...

- inline polling (very important)
    - upload image (important)
    - Private Messages  (back burner)
    - themes (back burner)
    - international times (important)  (edit - addressed below [y])

what are the chances of any of the above happening?

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jamie wrote:
    so that's...

- inline polling
    - upload image
    - Private Messages 
    - themes
    - international times

what are the chances of any of the above happening?

• Polls - We'll have this, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by inline...explain...
    • Upload Image - I can't give an answer at this point, but we'll discuss it.
    • Private Messages - This is one I've been pushing on and off since we started doing 10 (and therefore would get into C9), but we just haven't had time yet and I can't promise anything for the second timeframe Jeff is talking about.
    • Themes - This would be super interesting to let people make C9 look like how they want it.  I'm not sure about sharing those themes though.  We'd have to discuss all the possible implications and again, time will probably be a factor.  Good idea for down the road.
    • International Times - Definitely doable.  Right now you'll see everything local to your selected time zone.  We'll see if it makes sense to show a translated time for the person who did the posting.  Easy as pie to code.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jamie, we'll be able to do this with a new feature (I'm working on it right now actually) that will show up in 10 in a couple weeks.  It might not be 100% the way you want it, but I believe the ability you're looking for will be there in the second release Jeff talked about.  Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I only visited on10 twice. It doesn't interest me.

Time for a new poll: Have you visited 10 in the past month?

• User profile image
    jamie

a: No

i went once but the layout was wacky - like that new Architect site ;p  ..and as for the Hive  ...club.. they can bzzz off Wink

• User profile image
    Manip

The best implementation of themes I've seen works like this:

Each user has a CSS link / URL in their personal profiles... When C9 renders the page it just places whatever the user has chosen in the rel="stylesheet" link... If nothing is selected it uses the default. That way the themes are ever-expandable.

So for example 9ers would be able to design their own themes and share them around... People just change the location in their profiles to the *.css file and get a new look and feel.

As I said I've seen this implemented top to bottom and it works great... Users have a lot of fun finding different themes that others have created.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.