Coffeehouse Thread

275 posts

Channel 9 Update Planning

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

As Jeff mentioned...we're not turning Channel 9 into 10.  We know the target is quite different.  10 won't interest everyone, just like Channel 9 won't either.

So with that is there anything that you really don't want to see come over from 10?  Again, we're only bringing over functionality from 10 but is there anything that scares you that we can put your mind to rest about?  Big Smile

• User profile image
    jamie

re- manip:
    id make some (epecially if provided with the real c9guy vectors)

re on10:  the layout.  Whats here is good. just need to utalise big red bar (go nuts with whatever you want) and the right column (give that to us in the form of interchangeable/buildable gadgets
    * perhaps user polls, pm alerts, c9park watch;) could go on right
    and you could move "Featured" to the 3 elements in the big red bar like:  Current contest    l    Interview with Billg ver 3    l    All about teched

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

agreed...jamie...the look of 10 is not coming here.  You may see a few tweaks with the homepage redesign, but bringing over the 10 functionality will not change the look of 10.

• User profile image
    jamie

great!

http://www.gnuarts.com/c9_themes/

theres some css themes i did 2 yrs ago for c9

all images/colurs/fonts in the css - but tables on master page called them
    (its all one page - index.html - with a different css ref)
    (works super fast in FF/ie7 - ie6 loads slow)
    *just for an idea

• User profile image
    Scott Bryen

How about online/offline status thing for each user when looking through a topic? Also a spell checker when creating new topics and reply to topics.

I would also like to see a quick reply option at the bottom of a topic. There just a few things i would like to see Smiley. Cant wait for the update.

• User profile image
    jamie

AMAZING!

by inline i mean i could start a thread called:

"Should msn images search have sort by size?" (like i made today) and add a poll to the thread

each user when replying to the thread would be presented with a vote box in the reply windows (well above it..whereever)

then we could really gage what the heck we're all going on about Wink

edit - ideally we could sort user generated polls by most votes / yes wins / no wins

edit 2 - all polls "yes - no - maybe" only (for users) - so they are sortable later

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Scott Bryen,

• Online/Offline - It's something we've been talking about.  We'll continue the discussion about it.  I can't make any promises on it yet though.
    • Spell Checking - Done, just have to figure out the best way to show it in our UI.
    • Quick Reply - Have you tried out 10?  We have a quick-reply type thing in there already.  We're modifying it a bit in a couple weeks, but for the better.  Let us know what you think.  We sort of combined everything so quick reply is the only way to reply.  Everyone wants to be quick, right?  Smiley

Thanks, jamie!  My name is Erik, btw...if you'd like something easier to type.  Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

well "Spell Checking - Done," / btw...if you'd like something easier to type. "

i think everyone here knows i need serious spelling help so youve already made it easier to tipe Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Another feature request: wiki-style edit history for posts that have been edited. It would prevent Beer28-style retconning.

(It would also reveal my frequent spelling corrections, but so be it Tongue Out )

• User profile image
    jamie

sven is right - the date bug i forgot

if you edit the title of a thread from last year - to say.. "Whatever Thread *updated" - it changes the thread date to today - not a year ago - with an edit stamp

we should be able to add a new post to an existing thread - then update title of original thread - without trashing our creation time

• User profile image
    AndyC

Well i've said it before but here goes: the most annoying thing about 10 is that it needs horizontal scrolling on a tablet in portrait mode (768*1024). Since that's how I tend to visit C9, I'd find it very frustrating if the same happened here.

Ink without crashing IE with .Net 2 would be nice too. As would a text editor that sucked slightly less than the curent one. Wink

• User profile image
    Scott Bryen

HumanCompiler wrote:

Scott Bryen,

• Online/Offline - It's something we've been talking about.  We'll continue the discussion about it.  I can't make any promises on it yet though.
    • Spell Checking - Done, just have to figure out the best way to show it in our UI.
    • Quick Reply - Have you tried out 10?  We have a quick-reply type thing in there already.  We're modifying it a bit in a couple weeks, but for the better.  Let us know what you think.  We sort of combined everything so quick reply is the only way to reply.  Everyone wants to be quick, right? 

Thanks, jamie!  My name is Erik, btw...if you'd like something easier to type. 

I think spell check should be done the way the new Hotmail Beta does with its right click and select style and the red underline when a word is not spelt right. If you do, that would be awesome Smiley

I have just signed up to 10. Havent really seen much or know what its about to be honest but ill check it out Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

Jeffsand wrote:  We are interested in more Ajax in the forums though to eliminate refreshes.  Thoughts?

die-Sel wrote:
    Less re-freshing, sounds good

*how would this auto refresh effect threads with large images? none? if in cache? or stupid ajax ignore common browser stuff and redraw each time?  Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

yes.  yes and yes. [y]

ps - kudos to human compiler!  talk about get the job done tone!  answer right away!  the original c9 webdev (bryn?) was way more...umm  alooof!

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Here's what I'd like to see:

- Updated Community Server
    - User selectable themes (ASP.net 2.0's got support for them! Create some base HTML and let our designers *cough jamie* go wild!)

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

I don't care what you do, just as long as it's all yellow text on a purple background... 'cos that's really cool and easy to read... Expressionless

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I think the ajax refreshing would be cool but not useful to the majority of users. I would like to see a feature that allowed users to filter out certain users and threads.

• User profile image
    Rowan

At the moment I don't like having to click on the New Reply icon from another person's post, the New Reply button should be at the top and bottom of the page.

I would also love a simple (plain text) quick reply box at the bottom of each thread to streamline the posting process.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.