Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Tech Fiction Suggestions

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I'm thinking of going on a reading binge (fiction) and am wondering...what are some good tech fiction books out there? I've looked briefly at a couple of Neal Stephenson titles, but I'm not sure if I want to invest time in some of his latest works (some of his titles are around 1,000 pages long, IIRC). What are some other good authors or books?

• User profile image
    RickH

I really enjoyed Tom Clancy's Net Force 1Generic Forum Image, Net Force 2Generic Forum Image, and Net Force 3Generic Forum Image.  There's many more in the series now, but I haven't gotten around to reading them.  The main plot lines are around cyber-crime in a technology dependent world, with a bit of action thrown in too... (Disclaimer: affiliate links above...)

• User profile image
    Windbag

Just finished Building Harlequin's Moon by Larry Niven/Brenda Cooper. Hard SF but character-driven from paragraph one.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    I'm thinking of going on a reading binge (fiction) and am wondering...what are some good tech fiction books out there? I've looked briefly at a couple of Neal Stephenson titles, but I'm not sure if I want to invest time in some of his latest works (some of his titles are around 1,000 pages long, IIRC). What are some other good authors or books?

Peter F Hamilton nights dawn trilogy. 3 books, 1,000 pages long. Yummy Smiley And nowhere near as self indulgent as Stephenson got.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

If you are lookign at contemporary stuff, then the Stephenson book you ant is Cryptonomicon. Not 1000 pages long, and a great read Smiley

• User profile image
    jmsma2005

This might be out of date, but I still love and feel inspired.
        "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke

I wonder why Holywood have not re-cast it?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.