Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

When will we lose the Win 3.1 Font dialog =(

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Sometimes that install dialog works a lot better than just dropping fonts into the fonts folder. But I'm talking XP, in Vista you should be able to just copy/paste fonts in the special fonts folder to install/uninstall them Sad

It really is the "little things" that get to us, isn't it Smiley

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

I doubt it's on their priority list.  I mean, how many people have actually seen or used that dialog, when you can just drag and drop fonts onto the Fonts folder and it installs automatically?

The last time I used that was in 95 I believe.

• User profile image
    mrshrinkray

It's amusing isn't it, one of the main rewrites of Vista is to include the WPF for amazing direct-x desktop graphics, and there are still dialogs like this existing. Another archaic example that comes to mind is MMC. What a bucket of (I need to watch my language) that is, extremely convoluted API and doesn't save any of your windows settings unless you launch it with a command line switch. Sadly the MS world seems to be rife with these legacy technologies such as active-x, vb6 that would embarass me if I were working there.

• User profile image
    jamie

i havent tried adding fonts to vista yet but have they fixed the main problem: no-  "Ignore to all"

on xp (and every other version of windows) after clean install - i go to my master fonts backup - select them all (2000+)- drop them in windows fonts folder (which actually installs them) and then sit for the next half hour answering:

"The times new roman font is already installed... skip/ignore whatever the option"

I want an option to Ignore already installed fonts

does anyone know if vista has fixed this pain in the ARSE

• User profile image
    JPeless

jamie wrote:
    i havent tried adding fonts to vista yet but have they fixed the main problem: no-  "Ignore to all"

on xp (and every other version of windows) after clean install - i go to my master fonts backup - select them all (2000+)- drop them in windows fonts folder (which actually installs them) and then sit for the next half hour answering:

"The times new roman font is already installed... skip/ignore whatever the option"

I want an option to Ignore already installed fonts

does anyone know if vista has fixed this pain in the ARSE

Haven't tried this myself, but does "Ctrl" + clicking Ignore work for "Ignore All"?

I know some dialogs will accept "Ctrl" + Button to mean "For all" when the dialog doesn't explicitly list the "For all" option.

• User profile image
    caro├žo

i believe its the shift key

• User profile image
    littleguru

Winston Pang wrote:
    It's like beta 2, and they still haven't gotten rid of it yet:

http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/os/vistab2.media/fonts.jpg

I know it's not that much of an issue, but hey, it doesn't blend well with the rest of the shiny OS, furthermore, can they also get rid of the 3.1 icons in some of the management consoles or policy editors.

It's going to be fixed in the final version. I had a e-mail conversation with one of the guys from the Shell team. He told me that they are going to fix it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.