Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Explorer hangs with the network

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mrshrinkray

On our work network, sometimes it can takes 30 secs - 1 minute to find a server using \\server format or browsing using Explorer itself.

During that time, Explorer (.exe) freezes. Windows has been like this since 2000 and it's one the most annoying parts of Windows I know (along with IE corrupting after you've uninstalled IE7).

Does anyone know if this is planned to be sped up or fixed in Vista? Asynchronised perhaps?

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Ive got a drill at home, i plugged it in and used it to clean my teeth now I can't chew anything Sad

• User profile image
    littleguru

As far as I know the code in that piece of Windows is old. I hope they fix it with Vista. They said something about a new network stack, I don't know if that includes the Computer Browser too, but I don't think so...

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

It only gets worse once you add in a VPN connection and thumbnail views for a few dozen pics.  Man that is slow.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

DoomBringer wrote:
    It only gets worse once you add in a VPN connection and thumbnail views for a few dozen pics.  Man that is slow.

To get anything done over VPN i have to VPN to network > RDP to machine local to network > do some work.... otherwise accessing servers via UNC is a waste of time.... even changing directories in Listview is a waste

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.