Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

Becoming a blue badge. Joining the dark side.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

Fellow niners I want you to be the first to know. I finished my interviews with Microsoft this morning and Microsoft has decided to give me an offer. I have a conference call later this afternoon where I'll learn all the details but needless to say I'm going to accept.

I know some of you are wondering what this means.

Will I stop being active on channel9? Hell no! Channel9 is a community I love and enjoy being a part of.

What happens to the MSDN subscription contest(why isn't it sticky anymore)? Well me getting the job and the re-launch of the contest having nothing to do with each other. The contest will still happen, the prizes are still good. Re-launching the competition is completely independent and a completely different matter.

Does this mean that I'll somehow become evil? Well I was already an MVP which I guess means that I was pretty much evil in some of your eyes...but in reality nothing's changing on how I interact with the community(If anything there will soon be an opening on the C# MVP program....so the chances are better that one of you can become one. Want to become an MVP and think you  have a good reason? E-mail me personally and I'll talk with you and I'll probably pass your contact info along to that group.)

Does this mean that I can no longer post on the Channel9 coffeehouse? Not likely, but over time I want to make this be a place for you guys and the broader community. I'll stay active...but I don't think I'll be posting new topics....I'll leave that up to you guys...unless of course you actually want an MS employee always posting all over the forums?

Does this mean that I'm going to become like Scoble or Chazz? Well I hope that I can have Scoble's laugh and wit, while inheriting some of Chazz's intelligence and technical knowledge. I'm still going to be myself...and post on my personal blog...but I'll be a little bit more careful with what I post in regards to my employer and in general I’m just going to follow the rule of “Be smart”. 

Can I offer you guys’ tips for getting your dream job at Microsoft? Yes I can. And I'm willing to share my experience and knowledge with you niners...just give me a call on my personal cell (440)724-6721 or shoot me an e-mail. One tip know the answer to the question “why are man hole covers round?” I actually got asked that question today and me knowing the answer pretty much sealed the deal.

Hmmm...I can't think of any other questions...I still don't know all of the details but I wanted to let you guys know the second I found out(my family doesn't even know yet). 

I don't officially start until July...so when I'm going to be at Tech Ed in June in Boston and I'd love to meet up with some other niners and have some great times...before I actually join the Borg.

Like I said I feel that I am a part of this channel9 community and me joining Microsoft isn’t going to change that…so now I’ll leave you guys to ask your questions and I’ll respond in kind. Big Smile

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Congrats Smiley Which group will you be joining?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I too, would like to extend my congratulations to Zeo.

Put in a good word for me, would you? Wink

• User profile image
    Shiv

All the best in ur new Place.Smiley so to which team r u joining ?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Congrats... Btw: I'm still missing your xbox live friend confirmation! I'm also wondering what team you are going to join.

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

Congratulations, and best of luck on your new job. Keep posting on channel9 Smiley.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Yeah, MS people never post on this thing.

(Grats on the job Smiley)

• User profile image
    AndyC

Congrats! But I don't see any reason why becoming a softie means you have to post less. As Chazz would say, keep on posting!

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

blatzcoder wrote:

ChrisA wrote: Congrats Zeo. I wish Microsoft would extend me an offer. i would love to work in the open source lab or the MacBU.
    You make no online sense. In post after post you bash Microsoft. Now it turns out you want to work there? How does that psychology work? That's like saying that I'm going to fill the Sandbox here with some cutting edge ideas (on Linux) and hoping someone inside of Microsoft will go "oh shiznit! He wasn't kidding about his abilities", essentially short-circuiting a rather faulty HR department.

It doesn't make sense.

There's a differece between how zeo bashes microsoft and how you bash microsoft. His bashing is sincere in wanting to see microsoft do the right thing and fix thier issues. Your bashing is always in the direction of "DIE MS DIE!".  Its not helpfull at all... not even to the linux cause Tongue Out

• User profile image
    dahat

Congrats!!! It’s great to hear that even despite the rejection you faced after your last series of interviews a number of weeks back that you still ended up convincing them that they needed you!

Now then... we want details! What group will you be joining?

Regarding the contest (as I’ve still got my heart set on winning one of the invites)... when will the new contest launch?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

blatzcoder wrote:

ChrisA wrote: Congrats Zeo. I wish Microsoft would extend me an offer. i would love to work in the open source lab or the MacBU.
    You make no online sense. In post after post you bash Microsoft. Now it turns out you want to work there? How does that psychology work? That's like saying that I'm going to fill the Sandbox here with some cutting edge ideas (on Linux) and hoping someone inside of Microsoft will go "oh shiznit! He wasn't kidding about his abilities", essentially short-circuiting a rather faulty HR department.

It doesn't make sense.

Checking out my D&D Monster Manual, Trolls have q pretty low intelligence, so it's quite understandable. Trolls can also become invisible too, which makes sense, since these boards do have periods of one to two weeks of intelligent conversations before the creatures return to make posts like "SuSe 10 is better than Vista".

• User profile image
    jamie

congrats zeo

keep on posting
    Wink

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

blatzcoder wrote:
    Er...I was talking about ChrisA. Not Zeo's approach. ChrisA seems to post less than constuctive articles, which isn't helping anyone's cause.

Anyhoo, congrats, Zeo.

I think. Have fun when I start cranking out some nice, user friendly Linux software for the masses. Let me know how much quaking goes on inside of the ol' Borg as a result.

Oh... i apologize for that post then, for some reason I thought you were talking about Zeo...

• User profile image
    JKelley

Very nice Zeo!  I was pulling for you after your last experience.  You definitely have to tell us what group you're going to be with. 

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I sent a resume to the generic jobs at msft thing.  Yeah, not the best place to send it... so I never heard anything.  I pretty much already had a job elsewhere, so it didn't matter.

Good work Zeo!

• User profile image
    irascian

Congratulations. I hope it turns out to be what you want it to be Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

Congratulations!

• User profile image
    dahat

littleguru wrote:
    This does not make sense to me:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=198952#198952
    You said here that you won't post anymore and the next day seems to have forgotten everything...

He like is alternative personalities as Beer28 and ChrisA have said the same thing many times... thankfully his inability to say something and stick to it is all the proof we need of those three disruptors being a single person.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.