Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Red Hat Employee blogs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Red Hat like Sun has followed in Microsofts footsteps and are now letting their employee's blog

Red Hat People
    Red Hat Executives

Im still waiting for their Channel 9 equivalent, what are they going to call it?  Channel 8.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Channel 666?

• User profile image
    Keskos

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Channel 666?

Channel 666 is meaningless.

• User profile image
    Manip2

Keskos wrote:
    Jeremy W. wrote: Channel 666?

Is not.

• User profile image
    lars

I'm not fully up to speed on Red Hat, have they fallen out of favour with the Linux community? I used to hear a lot of people recommending Red Hat Linux before.

• User profile image
    Keskos

Manip2 wrote:
    Keskos wrote:

Is not.

Manip, are you all right? Are you looking for a fight or something? Do you mind admins' warnings for you or you don't care about them?

lars wrote:
    I'm not fully up to speed on Red Hat, have they fallen out of favour with the Linux community? I used to hear a lot of people recommending Red Hat Linux before.

Yes, Red Hat was becoming a monopoly in the linux business and linux culture simply does not like that. Also they did nasty things, like dropping support for 1 year old os, forcing customers to migrate and so on.

• User profile image
    Simo

Manip2 wrote:
    Keskos wrote:

Is not.

Good god, it's like the end of Blazing Saddles. So busy fist-fighting they fall out of one thread and carry it on in another.

ahhhhhhh I'm being dragged in, pass me that stunt-glass bottle of whisky.

• User profile image
    Karim

Manip2 wrote:

Is not.

[author turns to face back seat]

Kids, kids!  You either settle down, or I am turning this goddamn thread around NOW.

• User profile image
    lars

Keskos wrote:

Also they did nasty things, like dropping support for 1 year old os, forcing customers to migrate and so on.

I see. They got big and cocky? Trying to force OSS enthusiasts to change their software is a really bad idea. Smiley

• User profile image
    Keskos

lars wrote:
    Keskos wrote:
    Also they did nasty things, like dropping support for 1 year old os, forcing customers to migrate and so on.

I see. They got big and cocky? Trying to force OSS enthusiasts to change their software is a really bad idea. Smiley

I am pretty sure they have some good technical and financial reasons for their decisions, but once you get big and make decisions that hurt others, you turn into Microsoft and many people starts to hate you. Also if you think about it, if you let redhat become too strong in this area, then redhat can effectively dictate anything they want, they can seriously control the whole market. That scares people, so people are less likely to recommend it. For example now IBM also uses Novel's suse. HP used the old Suse OS for its linux laptop computers. They are trying to balance things out now.

• User profile image
    Karim

lars wrote:
    I'm not fully up to speed on Red Hat, have they fallen out of favour with the Linux community?

For a primer see http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1596333,00.asp

Redhat = to many...

A lot of people feel screwed by Red Hat, because Red Hat realized they needed to make money  so they dumped all their free products and support.

In particular they turned off the "free" version of the Red Hat Network (RHN), which would be kind of like Microsoft turning off Windows Update.

From an email I got in January:

"In accordance with our errata support policy, the Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 distributions have now reached their errata maintenance end-of-life.

"This means that we will no longer be producing security, bugfix, or enhancement updates for these products. Red Hat Linux 9 reaches end of life on April 30, 2004."

• User profile image
    Karim

From http://blogs.redhat.com/people/archive/000123.html#more

Looks like the RHEL not allowing upper case characters in a user/group name reared its head again. JPL hard coded a exec() with useradd. We changed all the build and install scripts to use luseradd/lgroupadd from the libuser package which allow uppercase chars. Now I have to find all the instances in the code and fix up. It should really use libuser and not exec but I don't think I'll have the time to get it done right.

RedHat Linux™ - for when you don't have the time to get it done right.

• User profile image
    WayneB

rjdohnert wrote:
    Red Hat like Sun has followed in Microsofts footsteps and are now letting their employee's blog
    Im still waiting for their Channel 9 equivalent, what are they going to call it?  Channel 8.

Don't you think that this is just a little pretentious? Why do Red Hat and Sun have to be following in Microsoft's footsteps? Do you think that Microsoft was the first to do this or something?

I hate to box you in with the Mac fanatic crowd, but this reminds me of those Mac users who think Apple invented the GUI.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Well...

Show me another Corporation of MS's size that was allowing free, sponsored, unedited blogging for it's staff.

As far as I'm aware, MS is the first and still largest (over 1,000 MS bloggers now).

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Karim wrote:

RedHat Linux™ - for when you don't have the time to get it done right.

lol. I am going to try to use that excuse today.

• User profile image
    VBJB

Karim wrote:

[author turns to face back seat]

Kids, kids!  You either settle down, or I am turning this goddamn thread around NOW.

I am laughing so hard I am falling out of my seat...LOL..That's a good one.

• User profile image
    manickernel

Karim wrote:

Redhat = to many...

FreeBSD?...now I am confused.

http://www.freebsd.org/gifs/freebsd_1.gif

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

Three things firstly redhat has not dropped support for a free linux operating system for all thoose who are intrested.

http://fedora.redhat.com

Secondly microsoft needs to blog so much more than linux companies, i mean its open source you can download it and have a look at it.

Thirdly BSD is an open source version of unix, there are loads.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.