Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Am I the only one.... who things Vista Rocks?!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • otech

After installing several builds of Vista/Longhorn over the past couple of years, I would really have to say the have pulled it together very well for Beta 2.

Previous builds had frequent explorer crashes, DWM leaks etc, and would be nearly unusable for any amount of time on my Acer x64 Laptop with 1.5 Gb of RAM!

Not with Beta 2 however, from install it had all drivers and runs almost everything I have tried.

Blue Screens/Lock ups/Driver issues 0

Did I just get lucky and pick a laptop that someone in Microsoft uses or what?!

Have many other Beta 2 users that have actually used a few different CTP's / Pre-CTP builds found this to be a vast improvement with regard to stability and speed - all I keep hearing about is 'blah this and blah that'...

not that its without its 'unfinished' bits, but overall I finally have faith in what will be the finished product.

I just hope that other Beta testers (I know Spoofnozzle has plenty of gripes) manage to see it running like it has been for me.

• Cairo

It runs more or less fine on my system (full Aero 'experience', Ultimate edition), but it's not "wowing" me.

I see some obvious improvements over XP (UAC -- love it or hate it, it'll make Windows less crapware-prone; 'sleep' seems to actually work), and some stuff I don't like (UAC -- let me delete my damned desktop shortcuts, gosh darnit; fade-in/fadeout effect of Aero is goofy and distracting; IE is slow; screen updates flicker annoyingly).

So far, "XP SP2 +".

We'll see what the final version looks like.

• NuTcAsE

Cairo wrote:
    It runs more or less fine on my system (full Aero 'experience', Ultimate edition), but it's not "wowing" me.

I see some obvious improvements over XP (UAC -- love it or hate it, it'll make Windows less crapware-prone; 'sleep' seems to actually work), and some stuff I don't like (UAC -- let me delete my damned desktop shortcuts, gosh darnit; fade-in/fadeout effect of Aero is goofy and distracting; IE is slow; screen updates flicker annoyingly).

So far, "XP SP2 +".

We'll see what the final version looks like.

Actually if you give it a chance and work with it for more than 2 days you will find that its a lot more than XP SP2 +. I struggled with Vista Beta 2 the first week and had to relearn a lot of things (Windows Explorer being one)... but now I like vista a lot and don't find any reason to boot into xp.

The UAC thig will be ironed out by RC1... see here: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=199434#199434

Vista's perf on my machine is very good, I would say at times even faster than XP. It just seems sluggish with all the eye candy when you start using it. I agree though there are a lot of things MS needs to do before its ready for mass consumption (a lot of the fit and finish needs to be done) but I for one think Vista is a major improvement over XP.

• wagtberg

Nope! You're not alone... Vista Beta 2 works very well, indeed Smiley

My main concern is the many IE based applications that does not run properly in the IE7 environment.

Vista Beta 2 & Office 2007 Beta 2 is a very impressive duo.

Klaus

• PerfectPhase

I like vista, but have a few issues with it:

ATI Radeon driver keeps switching back to the MS one.
    Audio clicks, pops and stutters (I'll put this down to drivers for the minute as I am using ones meant for XP)
    Remote assistance does not allow me to help an XP-SP2 client, complains of wrong version!
    Glass disables when you make wmp full screen (multi-mon)
    Excessive hard dis activity, like _all_ the time, even when I am not using it (its not swapping, I have plenty of ram)

• Cairo

NuTcAsE wrote:

Actually if you give it a chance and work with it for more than 2 days you will find that its a lot more than XP SP2 +.

I've been using Beta2 for about 5 days so far. is that enough? I wiped XP off the machine.

• keeron

"XP SP2 +" ....

http://winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_feature_focus.asp

Yeah ... it does look like "XP SP2 +" .... (Wonder how big of a SP you need to put all of that)

• MvTCracker

I agree windows vista beta 2 is awesome

• NuTcAsE

Cairo wrote:

NuTcAsE wrote: 
    Actually if you give it a chance and work with it for more than 2 days you will find that its a lot more than XP SP2 +.

I've been using Beta2 for about 5 days so far. is that enough? I wiped XP off the machine.

Well its not like you have to spend two weeks exact till 12:00 midnight each day for someone to start liking vista. Some people will like it, some will not.

• andur

Yeah, Vista's awesome! I've been running it since december or so as my main OS, and I've had very, very few issues with it in that time.

Over all of those builds, I've yet to see Vista or any of its bundled programs crash or lock up. I have had a few driver issues (ie, there was no radeon 9100 driver, but the 9000 driver worked... but I've since upgraded), and my ancient SCSI card has no driver for it, but I just have a cd-writer plugged into that and I can't remember the last time I actually burned a cd.

So, stability and speed-wise, compared to previous builds and ctps, I really can't tell the difference with this one. Other than the build number being different, I'm not sure what's changed since 5381. Its always been faster than Xp in all of the benchmarks that I've done.

From my experience, its ready for shipping today, other than the atrociously slow installer. I'd be front in line at the store.

If only dos support would be brought back for x64, I'd be even happier Smiley.

• cynthia399

I must say that I like Vista, I have been using it since the 5308 beta.

I am running it on an almost 3 year old Toshiba P15 laptop which can do the full aero experience and on a home built desktop which does not support aero so I use the classic interface.

In the begining the UAC was kind of annoying but that was when I was installing programs and doing general setup to get things the way that I like.  But after everything was setup I hardly ever get UAC prompts from just using my computer in my daily routine.

The only real annoyance that I have is the slowness of doing operations on files such as copying, deleting or moving.  But I solved that problem by doing these operations from the commandline.

• Oguz

Vista rocks for me. On my Acer Travelmate 8200 it works great!

Can't wait to upgrade all my PC's.

There is one thing that make me crazy. A lot of users are describing Windows Vista with comments like "there is only new look" "pimped XP"  "Looks lika MacOS"

They don't look under the hood. They are judjing Vista by the cover.
    There is alot going on but they define it with just the looks.  Shame on them Smiley

WPF - WCF - XAML and all the other technology will change the web, applications as we know and  change the possiblities for apllication development.

• Sven Groot

I love Vista. I've been using it pretty much fulltime since 5381 came out (the build before beta 2).

There's still some things I need to boot XP for, and they all have to do with my Sound Blaster X-Fi. Since it doesn't work in Vista I need to go to XP for watching DVDs and games. Sure, having to use the Realtek AC'97 from my motherboard is a shame (although since I'm using a digital connection the quality difference isn't that big for normal stereo music), but I'm an technical beta tester so the time I can put in actually testing the thing is worth it.

No, Vista is not perfect, but on the whole, I like it a lot more than XP.

And yes, this post was written in Vista. Smiley

• figuerres

I think if just a few tweaks and details are done it will.

I think we may need a "Vista for XP users" guide to un-learn / re-learn some things Smiley

• Xaero_​Vincent

vistawillship wrote:
    Ha, ha. Now THIS is thread I can dig.

Vista rocks, hands down. I have the latest build installed on my machine, and like I said before, it will turn any freebie Linux frisbees you have laying around into drink coasters. If the Vista beta is any indication, the final release will be a like a sleek Corvette that just purrs under the hood.

rrrRRRrrrRRRRrrrRRRrrrRRR!

It will make the latest Kubuntu distribution look like an Edsel.

Petal to the metal baby! Cool

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

edit: fixed broken link

• MvTCracker

Sven Groot wrote:
    I love Vista. I've been using it pretty much fulltime since 5381 came out (the build before beta 2).

There's still some things I need to boot XP for, and they all have to do with my Sound Blaster X-Fi. Since it doesn't work in Vista I need to go to XP for watching DVDs and games. Sure, having to use the Realtek AC'97 from my motherboard is a shame (although since I'm using a digital connection the quality difference isn't that big for normal stereo music), but I'm an technical beta tester so the time I can put in actually testing the thing is worth it.

No, Vista is not perfect, but on the whole, I like it a lot more than XP.

And yes, this post was written in Vista.

yes my ac'97 dose not support 5.1 but my creative labs supports 5.1 but i do get high quality stero Embarassed

and msn explorer 7 gives my brother an error when he tryes to play  videos on www.wimp.com but thats not a big deal for me stupid wimp videos but i would like msn explorer 8 or 9 in vista[H]

• alwaysmc2

Well, Vista won't let me burn disks, and the ATI All-In-Wonder drivers aren't out yet (for TV in Media center), and it seems that PC-to-PC syncing is gone from the Sync Center.

But all of that will be fixed, and I love everything else.  Big Smile

Oh, and UAC will be made less annoying, although I am at peace with it right now, if I see it less that is all the better.

• spoofnozzle

otech wrote:
    I just hope that other Beta testers (I know Spoofnozzle has plenty of gripes) manage to see it running like it has been for me.

I thing (sic) that you perhaps misunderstand the purpose of my comments.

In reality, I am an NT fan (and was a long-time VMS fan) and, while I am definitely not an MS zealot, I am a long-time MS developer and generally a long-time MS supporter.

At the same time, however, I am a fan of many open-source projects ( just not a fan of open-source zealots. Big Smile ) and try to keep my knowledge and experience open to all options and ideas.

So... (to use that great MS adverb) with that as a background...

Betas are supposed to be "evaluation" software... where the user gets to say what they do/don't like and what does/doesn't work for them.

Yep, I have a bunch of issues with VISTA, and I believe that all of them can be resolved, provided MS are made aware of them and are made aware how important it is to have them fixed.

It's a bit like the old "speak now or forever hold your peace" line... if you are happy to gloss over any problems, because of the cool/wow factor... then you only have yourself to blame if your problems are not addressed by the RTM.

All of the hoopla and marchitecture of the aero interface, is all fine and well... and I am glad that MS are making advances in that area, to appeal to those who like the "warm & fuzzy" Mac type of interface. However... that is not what an O/S is about... that's what a UI is about... and I'm afraid that many people are getting side-tracked by the new UI and not spending enough time hammering and evaluating the O/S.

Personally, I hope that most beta users DON'T get to see it running like you have... and instead, manage to dig out all of the problems and bugs for MS to fix. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.