Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Going to TechEd next week? B*tch slap ScaleOut software for me

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

ScaleOut software spammed me, inviting me to their booth at TechEd. Using an email address only published on my web site.

So please, do me a favour and tell them what you think about spam...

(more details ....)

• User profile image
    melsam [MS]

As a developer you should know better than to place a raw mailto: link on your website. By doing that you're asking for spam, which may not always be as polite as the one from ScaleOut.

• User profile image
    blowdart

melsam [MS] wrote:
    As a developer you should know better than to place a raw mailto: link on your website. By doing that you're asking for spam, which may not always be as polite as the one from ScaleOut.

I don't know if I should be horrified or not that an MS employee is seriously trying to justify spam because "I was asking for it".

Is that your team's attitude That as soon as you see an email address anywhere you can spam it regardless? I seriously hope no-one else near you believes that, because it's seriously pathetic.

• User profile image
    Manip

I think the fact that he(?) is a Microsoft employee is neither here nor there... But his statement is still absurd reguardless...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I don't think Melsam is justifying spam. He's just stating the obvious that putting your e-mail address on your website unprotected will attract spammers.

• User profile image
    tuck

Last TechEd, a company called MSD2D got hold of my email-address.

They keep sending me daily newsletters, and repeated attempts to unsubscribe from their service have proved useless. I've sent emails to the CEO, the CEO of their mother company, their ISP and notified the spam monitoring authorities. Nothing really helps.

So much for CAN-SPAM...

Anyway: You have my sympathy...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.