Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft's Longhorn Failure Is Linux's Chance

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

     What a fricking idiot, if Steven J. Vaughn - Nichols knew anything about what he was talking about i think he would be dangerous. first, Microsoft is cutting out one feature, WinFS. More, "Now is the time for the Linux desktop" rhetoric from a half-baked, non-researching journalist. If he would bother to research the state of the industry, Sun is shipping Solaris 10 with ZFS, their new filesystem but using their traditional UFS as the default and they have told customers, ZFS is an experimental Filesystem and they dont recommend ZFS for production use. Why? because its fricking unstable and there is that possibility you will lose your data. why is the master of MS FUD here not bitching about that? What would he like for Microsoft to do? Ship WinFS, so that if the thing screws up then he can write "Microsofts Longhorn is a failure, now is the time for the Linux desktop?"

  • User profile image
    iStation

    The completion of managed database system is an indispensable prerequisite for WinFS, I suppose.
    So, we have to wait, and wait, and wait...ZZZ
    Longyawn! ;O

  • User profile image
    jamie

    <spaced version of above> 

    What a fricking idiot,

    if Steven J. Vaughn - Nichols knew anything about what he was talking about i think he would be dangerous.

    first, Microsoft is cutting out one feature, WinFS. More, "Now is the time for the Linux desktop" rhetoric from a half-baked, non-researching journalist.

    If he would bother to research the state of the industry, Sun is shipping Solaris 10 with ZFS, their new filesystem but using their traditional UFS as the default and they have told customers, ZFS is an experimental Filesystem and they dont recommend ZFS for production use.

    Why?
     
    Because its fricking unstable and there is that possibility you will lose your data. why is the master of MS FUD here not bitching about that?

    What would he like for Microsoft to do? Ship WinFS, so that if the thing screws up then he can write "Microsofts Longhorn is a failure, now is the time for the Linux desktop?"

    </spaced version of above> Wink

    ya i cant stand that guy. Eagle always talks about the biased english tabloids - i just find them humorous - but that Vaughn dude? ya - axe to grind

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ignore ( font test that didnt work)

  • User profile image
    Manip2

    Jamie, thanks for the spaced version. Smiley

    If you assume he and or eWeek are unbiased journalists then I can see how you could be upset but in reality journalists CAN be biased if they want and that is their job.

    In this case he is discussion how the Longhorn thing could be good for the Linux Desktop’s market share.

    I don't agree, I mean Linux doesn't exactly have WinFS capabilities yet. I think people, especially the media way over-estimate how fare along the Linux desktop is. I consider it around the Windows 95/OS2 age in comparison. To think that it is anywhere near 2k/XP is just insanity.

    The Linux Desktop is just a mish-mash of various hacks, some dating back a few years. Firstly I consider the construction a security risk and more so I think it is inefficient and user-unfriendly.

    It is barley a model in any respect and the development platform is a joke.

     

     

  • User profile image
    jamie

    while in many respects i agree - i do not think it fair to describe the linux effort as a joke

    while linux may be homegrown and rough - isnt that what you - yes you ha - like about it?

    me?  i dont run it - i read about it - i know about it

    i wont load that beast until they get all the updating stuff worked out

    isnt it the open factor that makes it compelling? mysterious maybe?

  • User profile image
    Manip2

    jamie wrote:
    while in many respects i agree - i do not think it fair to describe the linux effort as a joke


    Re-read, I didn't discribe the Linux effort as a joke. I discribed the development platform as a joke. And I was directing that at the X11 development platform, not in general.

  • User profile image
    jamie

     In anycase, I don't think people take eweek, slashdot and news.com seriously these days. It is almost humorous when someone mentions these resources to prove his/her point. They consistently distort and in some cases even lie about facts. Slashdot is doing this unprofessionally, and eweek is doing it more professionally.

    Eweek i agree is biased
    but news.com - it wins all the awards each year - best news site etc
    they bought all the zifdavis stuff just to control it - zdnn.com is a joke these days - the odd commentary the only reason to go to this news.com retread

    as for slashdot - it is owned by a company that counts ms among its shareholders ( i believe)

    i think slashdot is the same as c9 - a bunch of people with opinions - some correct some not

    so its hard to say

    but i definately wouldnt count news.com with eweek and slashdot though - news.com DOES come through with scoops more often than not ( perhaps by iliminating their own tech competition - waddever Wink

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Manip2 wrote:
    jamie wrote: while in many respects i agree - i do not think it fair to describe the linux effort as a joke


    Re-read, I didn't discribe the Linux effort as a joke. I discribed the development platform as a joke. And I was directing that at the X11 development platform, not in general.



    i was mistaken then.

    ah yes x11

    isnt that the Linux interface renderer? the thing that makes linux look so bad graphically?

    The thing even linus himself has made fun of, that the team building the new version cant agree on and that the community at large thinks is ready  for scrap heap?  that x-(windows)?

    When Linux gets it's "X" together - Windows should worry - until then - everything ive read says not ready for prime-time

  • User profile image
    jamie

    all news sites promote any hype they can get
    but i still think news.com is good

    they do get the scoops

    i go to "watching microsoft like a hawk.com" and read articles from all over the globe -

    but most of the real - "you heard it here first folks" stuff - thats news.com or neowin/ winbeta.org

    * for what interests me anyway ... ms stuff haha

  • User profile image
    Tom Malone

    Of course eweek is bias, just like channel9 has a ms bias, as long as you take what is said with a pinch of salt its fine. Most news papers are bias, so what.

    Micorsoft has a problem when it comes to linux, its nothing to do with code bases or number of programmers, its time to market. Linux is not perfect it has large holes in application areas like multimedia, then people write programmers and i get it almost instatntly then they develop and get more and more stable and get more features.

    With microsoft they write a release and hope it includes enough features to hold off an competitors until their next release.

    So it does look likely that if ms does not get it right with longhorm people will switch.

    Also if you don't like openoffice on linux run ms office on linux your choice.

  • User profile image
    Varsity

    Good as it would to be otherwise, the Linux desktop is not a reality and won't be in the forseeable future.

  • User profile image
    Manip2

    Keskos wrote:
    According to news.com you are dumber than a mac user if you use a pc.


    Link?

  • User profile image
    Tom Malone

    out of intrest what do you call ready for prime time, as i only have linux on my home and work machines, is it just a lack of hardware support, because linux is weak there, or is there a lack of applications in everyones opinion what about linux makes it unready.

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    Manip2 wrote:
    Keskos wrote: According to news.com you are dumber than a mac user if you use a pc.


    Link?


    I found it.. Right Here..

  • User profile image
    sbc

    MisterDonut wrote:
    Manip2 wrote:
    Keskos wrote: According to news.com you are dumber than a mac user if you use a pc.


    Link?


    I found it.. Right Here..

    That's not news.com. It is MacNewsWorld (who would be biased towards Mac)

  • User profile image
    Lwatson

    From a desktop perspective its definately in the 95-98 windows era though the power of what possible there in linux is light years ahead. Unlocking that power for the average users is not easy or really possible for them without coaching and effort from someone in the know.

    Now from a server and infrastructure perspective. The linux platform is definately on the par and in some case well above the stability of your current Microsoft offerings.  Perhaps not AS feature laden but stability wise definately on the par or greater. (I NEVER touch my Linux machines running  the few things we have here but do manage to spend some quality time on our internal microsoft servers). I can have this stability with a single machine running most everything on Linux whereas stability on a windows server platform usually means not asking it to do to much. Limiting the tasks for a piece of server hardware limits is interaction surface between tasks and thus increases that uinits stability and relaibility.

    From a security standpoint I do feel that microsoft has made tremendous strides over the past year XPSP2 not withstanding. But the fact remains that as long as Microsoft is on TOP they will be the target of choice for the malcontents and general 'bubble gum on the bottom of your shoe' types out there. This is a simple fact and while security seems to be high on a well administered Linux system I feel that is largely due to this less enticing target status. Regardless of the reason though an admin must monitor each platform and react accordingly. Dealing with security on a Linux platform seems to be less of a chore for whatever reason.

    From a development standpoint. Linus development is definately not as polished, Visual Studio is da BOMB. C# is a better java than java, .Net Rocks. Of course there is Mono in the Linux camps ( Mono also works well on Windows folks ) and for webservice work in SOA setups Mono on Linux makes for a killer setup. But the development platform where, for the developer anyways, the Rubber meets the road, Visual studio is the only way to go.

  • User profile image
    Bogusrabin

    jamie wrote:

    ah yes x11
    isnt that the Linux interface renderer? the thing that makes linux look so bad graphically?


    No. You can't say "Linux look so bad graphically".
    You should learn more about Unix/Linux/X11/etc. before you say
    anything about X11 and Linux.

    My Linux desktop look excellent ... and with HW renderer *njam*.
    Smiley

    Btw. which Linux distributions have you used?
    None?

    jamie wrote:

    i wont load that beast until they get all the updating stuff worked out


    Works here perfectly, and yes ... automatically.

    Ok, not yet another childish Windows vs Linux thread Smiley
    But I think it's just very sad to notice that people has no a glue
    what is happening in Linux and Open Source world, but are still
    talking about them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.