Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft's Longhorn Failure Is Linux's Chance

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Hi.

MichaelMyers wrote:

If you obviously dislike MS products so much

Actually I like Windows 2000 and XP. But yes, I like Unix and Unix-like OS much more.

MichaelMyers wrote:

why do you come to a MS "insider" site, and bash them?

If you mean what I said to Jamie ... I must admit that I was a bit rude Expressionless
    People should use different OSs and make their own conclusions, not "I read that Linux sucks ... so it sucks".

MichaelMyers wrote:

However, I'm confused by the amount and level of vehemence I see posted here daily.  I'd really like an honest "from the heart" reason why you and so many others like you, come here to critcize MS so harshly?

Hmm. Maybe my English is _so awful_ that it is pretty easy to misunderstand my writings. But I must admit ... my writings are
    usually really bad.

Thanks, I try make something about it.

• User profile image
    MichaelMyers

Wow!

Impressed I am (he says in his best yota voice). 

I really thought that I'd get flamed all the way to...

Thanks for the honest and thoughtful responses.  And after some consideration, I'd have to say (to a point) I agree.  An all "we love MS site" would be almost as bad as an "we all hate MS site".

Thanks, I look forward to some decent debates with you all in the future ...

MM

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

It's good to have Microsoft haters here , otherwise we would not have anybody to laught at. Wink

Linux have potential , but is just a big mess right now.
    And yes , I know how to use linux , I use linux (gentoo) and still think it's nothing compared to Windows.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

HellSnoopy wrote:
    It's good to have Microsoft haters here , otherwise we would not have anybody to laught at. Wink

I don't believe that here is MS haters ...

HellSnoopy wrote:

Linux have potential , but is just a big mess right now.
    And yes , I know how to use linux , I use linux (gentoo) and still think it's nothing compared to Windows.

No offence ... I'm just interested.
    Why do you use Gentoo Linux? Smiley

• User profile image
    Keskos

Karim wrote:

Looks like someone who forgot to take their meds changed the headline over at eWeek.

If you follow the original link, you get the "Microsoft's Longhorn Failure is Linux's Chance" headline:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1640879,00.asp

But over at Neowin, they announced the article today:

"Longhorn's Demise Gives Linux Its Chance"

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=23841&category=main

Then when you click on the link for the "Full Story," you get eWeek's site showing the same headline:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1642464,00.asp

The article's date has also been changed to today, Sep. 3, 2004.

You might want to see the "demise" version now, before the eWeek people have had their second cup of coffee and/or before they get Slashdotted.

They do that everytime.

• User profile image
    Keskos

undefined

• User profile image
    Keskos
  • User profile image
    Keskos

Manip2 wrote:

Jamie, thanks for the spaced version. Smiley

If you assume he and or eWeek are unbiased journalists then I can see how you could be upset but in reality journalists CAN be biased if they want and that is their job.

In this case he is discussion how the Longhorn thing could be good for the Linux Desktop’s market share.

I don't agree, I mean Linux doesn't exactly have WinFS capabilities yet. I think people, especially the media way over-estimate how fare along the Linux desktop is. I consider it around the Windows 95/OS2 age in comparison. To think that it is anywhere near 2k/XP is just insanity.

The Linux Desktop is just a mish-mash of various hacks, some dating back a few years. Firstly I consider the construction a security risk and more so I think it is inefficient and user-unfriendly.

It is barley a model in any respect and the development platform is a joke.

LOL

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.