Coffeehouse Thread

99 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Beta 2 Public Released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

I followed the advice and installed Internet Download Manager, and it works great.
    Downloaded 81% so far. 1 hour to go

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I got it.  It finished downloading about six hours ago... Im burning the ISO now.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Manip

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

I got it.  It finished downloading about six hours ago... Im burning the ISO now.

Regards,
    Vincent

That's good news... Now sixteen other people can start

• User profile image
    Nightengale

Things are much better this morning. I used IDM and went to bed and now Vista B2 is done d/l'ing.

I resumed the horrible Akamai whatever just for kicks and it is downloading to a different spot at 600 k. All in all I would have to say that Microsoft did a great job for this whole dealio but I still dont like that the download manager they default to, will not auto reconnect after a timeout or disconnet. Maybe this was a built=in "feaature" or a management decision, so that those who are attentive would get their software first, and those that went to sleep could resume in the morning, thus conserving server duties to those that paid attention. But with the obvious expected downloaders, I think that might have been a bad policy decision, I dunno

• User profile image
    Shark_M

I am not able to download it. The site is overloaded with requests to download and it tells me to try later.

can they increase hosting bandwidth capacity?

also what problems are there associated with Vista? what software incompatibilies are there that are associated with the beta 2?

• User profile image
    Manip

If only Microsoft supported BitTorrent... We would all have it by now...

• User profile image
    littleguru

Manip wrote:
    If only Microsoft supported BitTorrent... We would all have it by now...

So true.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

so what do we do now? just wait ?

I cant beleive that microsoft server farms can get overloaded

• User profile image
    littleguru

I don't know... I'm waiting, but I guess they put this wait page there and it is not checking if bandwith is available. It's just there, sitting and doing nothing... And we need to wait Crying

• User profile image
    Shark_M

littleguru wrote:
    I don't know... I'm waiting, but I guess they put this wait page there and it is not checking if bandwith is available. It's just there, sitting and doing nothing... And we need to wait

Do you know of any incompatibilities in the Beta 2?

Are there programs that WILL not work properly in Beta2 ? if so what are they?

Most importantly , Will SQL Server and Visual Studio 2005 work in Vista beta 2?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Shark_M wrote:

littleguru wrote: I don't know... I'm waiting, but I guess they put this wait page there and it is not checking if bandwith is available. It's just there, sitting and doing nothing... And we need to wait

Do you know of any incompatibilities in the Beta 2?

Are there programs that WILL not work properly in Beta2 ? if so what are they?

Most importantly , Will SQL Server and Visual Studio 2005 work in Vista beta 2?

SQL Server 2005 and VS2005 will work. AFAIK Win16 apps don't run in Vista anymore. I had problems with the audio in Beta 1 and a few CTPs afterwards. I don't know if my sound card vendor has released a working driver now...

Most problems are driver depending.

The build of the public beta is 5384.4 - The same as the one released at WinHEC!

• User profile image
    Mr Ribs

Ahoy!

I've been attempting to install Vista x64 by extracting the iso contents to an external harddisk but the setup.exe (43.9 KB) isn't a valid win32 app according to my current XP Pro x86 installation. I'm using Daemon tools to virtualise the iso as a drive, is this not taking a necessary step to 'make' the files as if they were burned to DVD?

Cheers.

• User profile image
    intelman

Mr Ribs wrote:

Ahoy!

I've been attempting to install Vista x64 by extracting the iso contents to an external harddisk but the setup.exe (43.9 KB) isn't a valid win32 app according to my current XP Pro x86 installation. I'm using Daemon tools to virtualise the iso as a drive, is this not taking a necessary step to 'make' the files as if they were burned to DVD?

Cheers.

You can only run the x64 setup if you are on Windows XP x64, or Windows 2003 x64. You will have to boot from DVD to install it, assuming you do have a CPU that supports x64.

• User profile image
    Mr Ribs

That's a pain and yup, I've got an Athlon 64 3500+

I've ordered a DVD writer to be delivered tomorrow hopefully so I'll have to take the boot from DVD route unless you can boot the extracted files from an external harddisk.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Ok so for the heck of it I want to the main msft web site, went to the windows and saw that the vista public beta was shown.

ok I'll go thru the steps and see....

first pages were no problem but then om4.one.micrsoft.com was slow slow slow -- like downloading a cd over dialup ....

ok got that page ....

Hmmm "Please Print this page...."

Ok, print (using dell color laser)
    Great, the gold label with the product key printed *WITHOUT* the key !!!

I do not know if the problem is this printer or the page?

Ok so i write down the key -- but I have to wonder why they did not just put the key in black text on a white backgrounhd so as to make it 100% better at printing every time.

• User profile image
    Refrax

figuerres wrote:
    Ok so for the heck of it I want to the main msft web site, went to the windows and saw that the vista public beta was shown.

ok I'll go thru the steps and see....

first pages were no problem but then om4.one.micrsoft.com was slow slow slow -- like downloading a cd over dialup ....

ok got that page ....

Hmmm "Please Print this page...."

Ok, print (using dell color laser)
    Great, the gold label with the product key printed *WITHOUT* the key !!!

I do not know if the problem is this printer or the page?

Ok so i write down the key -- but I have to wonder why they did not just put the key in black text on a white backgrounhd so as to make it 100% better at printing every time.

same thing happened to me when i printed that page.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Need a Windows Vista download link. Go to the homepage of the website mentioned in the first post of this thread! You will be surprised about what you see there Smiley

• User profile image
    cain

Nah, not really surprised Smiley.  Anyway, I'm glad they're still showing that message on the download page since it means it's going nice and fast for me now.  I just got back from work and started downloading it.  It's already 20% done, just 18 minutes to go. Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.