Coffeehouse Thread

99 posts

Vista Beta 2 Public Released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Storm​Chaser46

I was in the middle of downloading it this morning.. when I got to 97% my computer froze. After I restarted I couldn't download it anymore because of the stupid message and I still can't download it. I hope they remove it soon.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

This is insane, I'm not even trying to download it...

Funny there are no MS Employees on this thread...I guess Microsoft is dropping the ball on this too...

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Cybermagellan wrote:
    This is insane, I'm not even trying to download it...

Funny there are no MS Employees on this thread...I guess Microsoft is dropping the ball on this too...

Funny you expect us to be able to do anything about it Smiley

• User profile image
    intelman

Why doesn't Microsoft use bitorrent, it is released to the public anyways, it isn't like it is going to spread it faster. You have to get a key through Microsoft anyways. Why don't they let other people pool their bandwidth, it'd save them some money Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jonathanh

intelman wrote:
    Why doesn't Microsoft use bitorrent, it is released to the public anyways, it isn't like it is going to spread it faster. You have to get a key through Microsoft anyways. Why don't they let other people pool their bandwidth, it'd save them some money

Because our lawyers freak out about the legal liability. My personal bet is that we'll use a bittorrent-like approach eventually, but only after jumping through a lot of hoops for the benefit of the lawyers.

(Yes, this comes up on Channel 9 every time Microsoft ships some big new piece of free software)

• User profile image
    Rossj

jonathanh wrote:
    My personal bet is that we'll use a bittorrent-like approach eventually

..but just not actually BitTorrent, just that approach.  Do you think NIH will affect the lawyers decision in a negative way? It must be a real trial to have to run all of this stuff through legal all the time.

• User profile image
    intelman

Darn lawyers. Well I'm just glad I have my cpy already. Now I have to go and pressure nvidia to release updated drivers, the ones they released initially for Beta 2 suck, give them some public pressure guys Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Manip

Blizzard (aka World of Warcraft) uses BitTorrent for all its updates... And it works very well...

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

So is this the same version that was released a few weeks ago?

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Hey, look, on the new Vista (Get Ready) site, they have Scoble listed as a popular blog under the Community section:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/community/default.mspx

Where's Channel 9?!?!?

• User profile image
    Refrax

anyone try and join a domain and get the error
    "There is a time and/or date difference between the client and server"?

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

If I have a friend that signs up for this CPP:

a) Can he get the CD key without downloading the ISO?

b) Can I burn him a copy from my ISO downloaded from MSDN?

c) Can he then use his Key with that copy?

• User profile image
    intelman

DCMonkey, I think it should work just fine.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jonathanh wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote: This is insane, I'm not even trying to download it...

Funny you expect us to be able to do anything about it

Jonathanh,
           Hmmm, well I would expect seeing the amount of complaints and this being a Microsoft forum and all maybe someone would care about feedback...

So what is this weeks "useless website of the week designed by Microsoft", that Microsoft is saving all the bandwidth for? Microsoft has how much money laying around and you knew Vista was going to be public...or didn't you (Microsoft) think it would be this popular.

So...either 1) You don't care, 2) You're not prepared 3) You don't have enough faith in your own product? Pick whatever one you want cause Ubuntu downloads in 10 Minutes...

• User profile image
    TimP

Anyone else getting "Access Denied" on the download web page now?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

TimP wrote:
    Anyone else getting "Access Denied" on the download web page now?

Hey TimP...had same problem here. Figured out the problem, you need to be signed-in first:

1. go to: http://login.live.com
    2. sign-in with your Vista Beta 2 associated passport
    3. double click "Start Download manager" shortcut on desktop

Good luck. Smiley

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Cybermagellan wrote:
     Pick whatever one you want cause Ubuntu downloads in 10 Minutes...

Vista Beta 2 will probably get more downloads this week (hell, possibly in the next 48 hours) than Ubuntu will get all year.

• User profile image
    Jung

left it running at 56% last night, was getting about 250k. woke up this morning and it'd frozen at 82%, with apparently no network connection.
    tried to restart and was told that the file had changed in size, so had to bloody start again!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.