Coffeehouse Thread

99 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Beta 2 Public Released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Hi guys...

posting from my fresh install of Vista Beta 2.

Looking good so far.Smiley

Say, what newsgroups are you guys reporting your bugs in?

• User profile image
    Angus

I'm downloading it now, looks like it will take around 8 hours; but this is nice news, I'm glad I was discharged from hospital today or I would have missed it. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Chadk

Seems like alot of people installed it
    Is it worth installing?

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Chadk wrote:

Seems like alot of people installed it
    Is it worth installing?

Yeah.
    But you should read the bottom of this article which discusses compatabliliy.

• User profile image
    Mr Ribs

I've installed Vista x64 by booting from DVD, all the initial processes were completed (copying, expanding, installing etc) and the computer was restarted for the first time.

Problem: The image hash cannot be found in the system catalogs. The image is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering.

\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I attempted to fix using the recovery tools on the Vista DVD, they found the same problem but couldn't fix it. The tools contacted Microsoft for a known fix but found none.

Would it be as straightforward as getting a copy of this file and writing over my corrupt version via DOS-prompt? Is this a well known problem or is it possible my install failed or iso is corrupt?

Cheers for the help guys.

• User profile image
    Angus

Is anyone using Virtual PC to run Windows Vista Beta 2? (Is it possible/practical?)

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    AFO

Are English, German and Japanese the only available languages for Vista Beta 2, or will be another languages in a couple of days/weeks/months?

Anybody knows it?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

littleguru wrote:
    SQL Server 2005 and VS2005 will work. AFAIK Win16 apps don't run in Vista anymore.

Win16 apps won't work on Vista x64 (just like they don't work on XP x64). They continue to work on Vista x86.

SQL Server 2005 will work, you'll get a warning when you install it that you should install SP1. VS2005 works without issue (although some pages in the documentation still throw script errors, but unlike 5381 it doesn't on the .Net Framework reference anymore).

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

lawyers - lowers - lovers ... Smiley

I've downloaded Vista 5384.4 weeks ago using BitTorrent. It was fast and quietly.

"lowers" in MS are too scared by any "legality". May be because of lack of confidence? What's wrong with "official BitTorrent" release provided by any company officially? Nothing.

If think what that "lovers" are real reason why stupid ( Smiley imho ) P2P-sharing was removed from Vista.

But...

I HAVE NO HARDWARE TO INSTALL VISTA!!! Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    phreaks

I have been trying for hours to get this to download.
    All I get is a Server too busy message instead. Sad

• User profile image
    Angus

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    I have been trying for hours to get this to download.
    All I get is a Server too busy message instead.

Have you tried the manual download as I did not and I had the same problem as you until I tried the manual download which is at 48% currently. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Mr Ribs

I fixed my last problem by reinstalling Vista. This time the first restart goes fine, it goes through the process of 'Completing installation', restarts and this time it blue screens a long way into startup, possibly as the logon screen would appear. In safe mode I set up an account and can get to the desktop.

I installed the latest Nvidia display drivers in safe mode incase that was a problem but it hasn't helped regular startup. Fortunately wireless networking and IE seem ok in safe mode so it's easy to look for answers and tinker. I'm tempted to reinstall yet again but is there a bootlog I can look at because the bluescreen flashes very briefly so I've nothing to work with at the moment. There's no windows\repair folder anymore.

• User profile image
    intelman

Mr. Ribs FYI, the nvidia drivers suck for Beta 2 Sad So expect odd graphics problems. Games do work though, not too wonderfully though. Those graphics drivers are also responsible for the audio flaking out, it ties up the CPU when it shouldn't.

• User profile image
    Jhaks

Angus wrote:
    Is anyone using Virtual PC to run Windows Vista Beta 2? (Is it possible/practical?)

Angus Higgins

I'm not quite sure about Virtual PC but I have set up Vista on VMWare.  It works okay but for Virtual PC and also VMWare the hardware virtualization doesn't give Vista very good hardware to work with; for example neither can virtualize a video card that can do aero.  Not to mention on VMWare whenever I booted Vista it would hang right before the loading screen for a long while.

It works but I wouldn't recommend it.

• User profile image
    Angus

Jhaks wrote:

Angus wrote:Is anyone using Virtual PC to run Windows Vista Beta 2? (Is it possible/practical?)

Angus Higgins

I'm not quite sure about Virtual PC but I have set up Vista on VMWare.  It works okay but for Virtual PC and also VMWare the hardware virtualization doesn't give Vista very good hardware to work with; for example neither can virtualize a video card that can do aero.  Not to mention on VMWare whenever I booted Vista it would hang right before the loading screen for a long while.

It works but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for that. I will try it, and post if it goes well; the download is at 95% so I might as well carry on. I don't mind too much about Aero, but I can imagine that it will be very slow.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

How is everybody downloading this with the site down?

• User profile image
    TimP

NeoTOM wrote:

I was wondering the same thing...

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

TimP wrote:

NeoTOM wrote: 

I was wondering the same thing...

Wait, it's not avalable because so many people are downloading the ISO.  The servers can only handle so many connections, after all.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.