Vista Beta 2 Public Released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Nightengale

DCMonkey

a) Yes
    b) Yes
    c) Yes

Whew, I finally got B2 working on a new hard drive I bought just for experimenting. I am quite pleased. The dual boot deal was just a mess for me, not that others have been successful-just not my hardware.

• User profile image
    Angus

Jhaks wrote:

Angus wrote:Is anyone using Virtual PC to run Windows Vista Beta 2? (Is it possible/practical?)

Angus Higgins

I'm not quite sure about Virtual PC but I have set up Vista on VMWare.  It works okay but for Virtual PC and also VMWare the hardware virtualization doesn't give Vista very good hardware to work with; for example neither can virtualize a video card that can do aero.  Not to mention on VMWare whenever I booted Vista it would hang right before the loading screen for a long while.

It works but I wouldn't recommend it.

By the way, how did you convert the *.iso you download Windows Vista Beta 2 in to a *.vmx for use on VMWare? (My Virtual PC Trial ran out)

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Jhaks

Angus wrote:

By the way, how did you convert the *.iso you download Windows Vista Beta 2 in to a *.vmx for use on VMWare? (My Virtual PC Trial ran out)

Angus Higgins

If you are using VMware player you won't be able to use Vista.  vmx files are the virtual machine images.  VMware player is only able to "play" .vmx files not create virtual machinese from scratch.  ISOs on the other hand are disc images so you can't really convert the ISO to a vmx.

What you have to do is use VMWare workstation (which has limited trial period too) and create a new blank virtual machine (vmx file) and install Vista off of the DVD ISO onto the machine.

VMWare can load ISOs and provide them to virtual machinese through a virtualized optical drive.  Go to the VMWare site, they have some instructions on how to install Vista on VMWare.

Remeber though, you wont get any Aero glass effects.  Not to mention Vista recomends 1 Gig of ram so Vista will run kind of slow if your computer doesn't have enough memory to share.  I also couldn't get sound to work but I didn't really check it out that much.  Installing was sooooo slow compared to a real machine.

Here's the link for VMWare workstation evaluation:
    http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/eval.html

• User profile image
    ChrisChance

Vista coulda broken the internet... read here

• User profile image
    jonathanh

ChrisChance wrote:
    Vista coulda broken the internet... read here

Chris Pirillo has a full transcript here. I figure CyberMagellan would be interested in reading the reasons for the slow downloads Smiley

The transcript also confirms the "legal and privacy issues" that are stopping us from using BitTorrent

• User profile image
    bariswheel

IF you guys are having problems downloading it directly from MS, try

http://vistatorrent.com

"The only official tracker for this torrent is found here at VistaTorrent.com. We're providing an MD5 hash to verify the file after download to make sure you're getting the real thing. If the torrent URL is anything other than the one from Vistatorrent.com, don't download or install the file! We're staking our reputations on providing a clean ISO torrent here. There is no registration required to download this torrent."

simple.

• User profile image
    Tensor

jonathanh wrote:

ChrisChance wrote: Vista coulda broken the internet... read here

Chris Pirillo has a full transcript here. I figure CyberMagellan would be interested in reading the reasons for the slow downloads

The transcript also confirms the "legal and privacy issues" that are stopping us from using BitTorrent

If MS breaks the internet while the world cup is on, I swear I'll switch to linux.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Tensor wrote:

jonathanh wrote: 
    ChrisChance wrote: Vista coulda broken the internet... read here

Chris Pirillo has a full transcript here. I figure CyberMagellan would be interested in reading the reasons for the slow downloads

If MS breaks the internet while the world cup is on, I swear I'll switch to linux.

Tongue Out

It won't.  The thing is so many people want Vista that if Microsoft were to give in and increase the bandwidth on its servers, that would choke everything else.

Lukily Microsoft isn't so stupid. Smiley

• User profile image
    intelman

Incase you guys missed it, or haven't completed and cannot complete the download a Vista iso, there is http://www.vistatorrent.com/

Chris Pirillo and Jake Ludington set it up.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.