Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Windows: What is the greatest improvement since Win 3.1?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

This thread made me think about Windows 3.1 and the changes until today. 

What do you think is the greatest improvement since the Windows 3.1 days? I, personally, think it is the long names for files and folders instead of the old 8.3 format and multitasking (with all the improvements in that area).

• User profile image
    pacelvi

littleguru wrote:

What do you think is the greatest improvement since the Windows 3.11 days? I, personally, think it is the long names for files and folders instead of the old 8.3 format.

Without a doubt

- SMP
    - Preemptive multitasking
    - Application memory isolation / Virtual memory address allocation

• User profile image
    RandyRants

Not having to wade through the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat, having to worry if HIMEM.SYS is loaded or not.  I tried to install Win98 at some point over the last year and nearly poked my eye out trying to get it to ramp up.

PnP hasn't hurt any either...

And personally, the death of the Program Manager - I always hated having a master window for the desktop.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

I have to agree w/ pacelvi. The move to a 32-bit architecture was the biggest thing by far... That is why me and most of the devs I know moved to WinNT before Win2k came out.

One of my biggest gripes against the Macintosh was that it didn't have preemptive multitasking and memory isolation until OS X was released...

• User profile image
    Cairo

vistawillship wrote:
    The stream of improvements coming with Vista are endless...

1) Goodbye Linux
    2) DRM!
    3) The end of piracy as we know it on the platform! Yay!
    4) Fancy 3-D eye candy
    5) XAML!

Need I go on?

Windows 3.1 was great in its time, but this will be the ultimate knockout blow to the cheapo, pirating hobby community out there.

What?! You didn't mention the groundbreaking new version of Notepad!

• User profile image
    sgomez

all the networking improvements!!!

dude! I love your avatar? where did you get it? (talking about Mario)

_____
    .seb
    http://sgomez.blogspot.com

• User profile image
    littleguru

sgomez wrote:
    dude! I love your avatar? where did you get it? (talking about Mario)

Thanks. I started the ROM in an emulator (old SNES emulator) and made a fast screenshot. Went over to Sven's avatar creator web edition and the remaining is history Smiley

• User profile image
    matt0210

pacelvi wrote:

littleguru wrote:This thread made me think about Windows 3.1 and the changes until today. 

What do you think is the greatest improvement since the Windows 3.11 days? I, personally, think it is the long names for files and folders instead of the old 8.3 format.

Without a doubt

- SMP

That's a good one. What version of Windows are you using. My XP-SP2 sure likes to lock up when Nero burns a CD or winamp converts a CD to MP3. And why my system with 800MB RAM pages like there's no tomorrow at a mere 400 MB used is beyond my comprehention.
    Without a doubt I'll be a Vista early adopter, and almost without a doubt these sort of things won't improve much if at all. I just finished DL Vista Beta 2, so I'm all exited about trying it out.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

littleguru wrote:

What do you think is the greatest improvement since the Windows 3.1 days? I, personally, think it is the long names for files and folders instead of the old 8.3 format and multitasking (with all the improvements in that area).

Win32.

That includes:
      Process isolation
      Threads (one message queue per thread, which means one app can't take out the system)
      Virtual memory
      and a whole lot more.

• User profile image
    littleguru

LarryOsterman wrote:
    Win32.

That includes:
      Process isolation
      Threads (one message queue per thread, which means one app can't take out the system)
      Virtual memory
      and a whole lot more.

Hi Larry,

since you were already a employee of Microsoft when you did Win3.1 I got a question: wasn't this already well known practises (I mean virtual memory, process isolation, etc.) when you shipped Win3.1? And why didn't it made already its way in Win3.1

Thanks.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Plug and Play.

• User profile image
    Windbag

Well, I think it's... you know... that shadow? ...behind the mouse pointer? Really makes the thing jump out at you. 

And NOW, with Vista, the mouse pointer is, uh... Hey, wait a minute...

I WANT MY "GLASS" POINTER!

[C]

• User profile image
    IRenderable

vistawillship wrote:
    The stream of improvements coming with Vista are endless...

1) Goodbye Linux
    2) DRM!
    3) The end of piracy as we know it on the platform! Yay!
    4) Fancy 3-D eye candy
    5) XAML!

Need I go on?

Windows 3.1 was great in its time, but this will be the ultimate knockout blow to the cheapo, pirating hobby community out there.

1) Not going to happen
    2) Thats a bad think.
    3) Yeah right
    4) Yay
    5)Yay

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

pacelvi wrote:

littleguru wrote: This thread made me think about Windows 3.1 and the changes until today. 

Without a doubt

- SMP

Yeah these are important. Plus 32 bit protected mode access. Windows <= 3.x ran in 16 bit real mode. Thus Windows 95 and beyond yielded huge performance improvements when they had access to 4 GB of RAM and took advantage of the new 32 bit processors.

I also think the move to the hybrid NT kernel from the crappy 9x monolithic kernel greatly improved reliability. But that not to say "modular" monolithic kernels are bad. Linux/FreeBSD have these kind and they work fine.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    athan

WGA first comes to mind Wink

• User profile image
    Nightengale

Oh wow I was going to say breaking the 640k conventional memory barrier...but then I realized the topic...oops sorry for the thread drift. Since 3.1? The "Start Menu"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.