Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Important Notice: Forum Rules

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

These are the rules that are to be implemented on ALL forums and should be read before posting any new threads:
             - No Flames. Flame - The posting of a message, which directly/indirectly is a threat againest a fellow user. A joke that doesn't put anyone down and can be responded to with a LOL is not a flame.
             - No Racism. Racism - The posting of a message which directly is a 'put down' of any certain human race.
             - No Swear words. Swear word - A word in which has rude meaning. Common words like - hell or damn are now a days not swear words. If you want to swear, just bleep it out.
             - trolling, flooding etc.
             - Other rules will be considered then added if accepted as users post them below.

Either accept these rules or post a complaint.

* I am not the Admin but am hoping that the admin will stick this up permenatly, or make a similar thread. Rules must be in force or the downfall of c9 because of madness will be imminate *

• User profile image
    Jaz

No Flames? i disagree a flame war can be good, but it can go too far, so yes to flames, we just need to watch what is being said

No Racism.  i agree 100%

No Rude Words?  Sure i don't want channel 9 looking like an eminem song (no diggity fer shure), but i don't have any problems with the occasional swearword, i think the community can moderate it's self on such matters.

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

Yeah flame wars are great fun as long as they are not personal

• User profile image
    Manip2

Loadsgood wrote:
    * I am not the Admin but am hoping that the admin will stick this up permenatly, or make a similar thread. Rules must be in force or the downfall of c9 because of madness will be imminate *

/Not Admin - Goes into ignore mode/ 

Loadsgood wrote:

- No Flames. (No exceptions to this rule)

Define a Flame. 

Loadsgood wrote:

- No Racism. (No exceptions to this rule)

Define Racism. Freedom of speech? 

Loadsgood wrote:

- No Rude words. (There are kids watching)

Define a 'rude word'. Does Russian count? 

Loadsgood wrote:

Either accept these rules or leave c9.

See Ignore above. + This sounds like a threat.

• User profile image
    brutal

ImportAnt, not "Importent".  Poor spelling leads to a lack of credibility.

You finish your post by saying you aren't the admin, you should've started with that.  You can't go to the sites of others and impose your rules on them.  If c9 staff/admins feel that the current system doesn't work, then it's their prerogative to change it to suit themselves and/or the c9 community.  If you don't like what's posted here, then don't come here, it's quite simple.  Google currently has 4.3 Billion documents in it's index, certainly one of those would suit you better.

-Tom

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Okay, maybe "Rules" is a bit strong. But as suggestions, I think they're worth thinking about Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Loadsgood wrote:

All hail Loadsgood, our new benevolent dictator...

• User profile image
    lars

- No impersonating the CEO of the company. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Don't know if I fully agree with rules for C9 but I would like to see the /.-ish posts disappear. 

• User profile image
    Manip2

Well as /. gets a few thousand (hundreds of thousands?) of posts per day you need to be more specific.

• User profile image
    Karim

Minh wrote:
    Loadsgood wrote:

LOL!  Sieg heil!

• User profile image
    Keskos

Loadsgood wrote:

These are the rules that are implemented on ALL forums and should be read before posting any new threads:

- No Flames. (No exceptions to this rule)
             - No Racism. (No exceptions to this rule)
             - No Rude words. (There are kids watching)
             - Other rules will be considered then added if accepted as users post them below.

According to admins you are supposed to ignore the flamers and attackers. That's what they told me, just ignore them.

• User profile image
    vasperstheg​rate

I'm surprised you don't include:

*trolling
    *ranting
    *hazing
    *baiting
    *flooding
    *chatterboting

Maybe I'm just legalistic and running amok with rules.

• User profile image
    Charles

I think the point here is that We, as Channel 9ers, should work together to build a rule system. Why must the admins of a forum site be responsible for the way in which the forums operate, from a social perspective? You, as non-admins, most importantly as customers, are the most important members of Channel 9. I mean, this is not a place solely for the Channel 9 team to engage in debate, right? Could you imagine if all you could do is read posts of Bryn and I arguing about the future of C++ or CLR exceptions? Smiley

Let's make some rules together and let's each be accountable for our actions.

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Karim wrote:
    Minh wrote:
    Loadsgood wrote:

LOL!  Sieg heil!

Nein. Ich bin nicht Ihr F├╝hrer.

'cough cough' Umm... I mean... I don't speak German...

It means: No I will not be your leader.
    And no, I don't speak German I just did a translation at www.worldlingo.com 
    I only started this thread to get the ball rolling, to try and make the admins realise that they have to take control of the forums just a little bit more by setting rules. Maybe one day we will have at least a few rules civilization wouldn't be what it is today if laws weren't around, this is just another stage as c9 grows up. C9 has only been around for a few months, so its still a baby.

• User profile image
    Manip2

Because no rules system, anywhere ever can work without some kind of punishment behind it. And unless you want to give all the forum members the ability to ban one another, I can't see it working. People would have no real incentive to stick to the rules. They would be more like guide-lines.

Charles, I would *love to see you and Bryn have a debat over the future of C9 or about CLR exceptions.

• User profile image
    iStation

How about establishing "The C9 Code of Ethics."
    Ref.
    http://www.acm.org/constitution/code.html
    Big Smile

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Manip2 wrote:

Well as /. gets a few thousand (hundreds of thousands?) of posts per day you need to be more specific.

What I mean is the one line posts that tend to go like this....

Such and such said this and that on this page.  Why would they do that?  What has the world come to?  The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

Somesite 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.