Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Favorite .NET show?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jazzynupe

I'd have to say, the innovator in Microsoft content was VBTV. Man I miss that show. I hope to make it to DevConncetions to meet Ari. It was a great breath of fresh air...

I wish he could kome back.

But I love .NET Rocks now.

Anyone else seen any good audio or video broadcasts on .NET or Microsoft Technologies? So far Microsoft is THE BEST at getting their message out using all kinds of media (some community driven).

• User profile image
    tobek

Amen on missing VBTV.

Compared to VBTV, MSDN TV is like watching glue dry.

• User profile image
    rasx

tobek wrote:
    Compared to VBTV, MSDN TV is like watching glue dry.

Yeah, but Microsoft lawyers can sleep at night. When a company needs to predict earnings, being predictable (boring) starts to become a cultural value.

Innovation + Predictability = Mediocrity

MSDN TV is filled with normal people who are just trying to do their job. VBTV tried (and many times failed) to meet the late-night TV standard of entertainment and do their job. You can't expect all "brilliant" computer scientists to be entertainers. The schooling system is not set up to produce such well-rounded people.

• User profile image
    eagle

Check-out the videos on channel9, do you need a link?

• User profile image
    Jazzynupe

eagle wrote:
    Check-out the videos on channel9, do you need a link?

Yeah I've seen it, but the difference was that VBTV was MADE to be somewhat wacky while still teaching and informing... Something that few shows have captured..

The .NET Show was more of the "talk show" format... MSDN TV is more like the man on the street. Channel 9 carried this further and made it seem more "spontaneous".

VBTV was just the far out sitcom or comedy like maybe "That 70's Show" or "Friends," you know? Maybe even a little "In Living Color." The kind of show that was real cool to push the envelope a little more while still doing the job.

• User profile image
    Jazzynupe

rasx wrote:
    tobek wrote: Compared to VBTV, MSDN TV is like watching glue dry.

Yeah, but Microsoft lawyers can sleep at night. When a company needs to predict earnings, being predictable (boring) starts to become a cultural value.

Innovation + Predictability = Mediocrity

MSDN TV is filled with normal people who are just trying to do their job. VBTV tried (and many times failed) to meet the late-night TV standard of entertainment and do their job. You can't expect all "brilliant" computer scientists to be entertainers. The schooling system is not set up to produce such well-rounded people.

You gotta love that combination. Yeah the lawyers may sleep better, but us developers deserve to be entertained as well. Life can get dreary enough... VBTV was the breath of fresh air when it came to educational content. The people like those that worked on the VBTV team were "special" people.

The funny thing about the show wasn't that they were the best comedians, but that it was something that developers would GET. That was the Key. That's probably why I like Don Box so much too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.