57 posts

WinFX is now .NET Framework 3.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mawcc

Via Somasegar's Blog

He also states that

"
    The .NET Framework 3.0 is still comprised of the existing .NET Framework 2.0 components, including ASP.NET, WinForms, ADO.NET, additional base class libraries and the CLR, as well as new developer-focused innovative technologies in WPF, WCF, WF and WCS.
    "

Which I interpret that .NET Framework 3.0 will not include any of the new data access technologies like LINQ or ADO.NET (3.0?).
    It'll also interesting to see if .NET Framework 3.0 will still be one installation package, which is then going to be HUGE.

<edit>ASP.NET -> ADO.NET</edit>

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Meanwhile, what happens to the other folks out there who have put any effort into learning .NET 1.0 or 1.1? What about 2.0? It's one thing to put an app out and having swiftly climbing version numbers, but whole frameworks? I guess there won't be many machines with a 1.1, a 2.0 and 3.0 framework installed...wait, I take that back...will 3.0 be available for XP?

This sounds like some seriously messed up design work. I predict 4.0 by late 2007.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mawcc wrote:
    It'll also interesting to see if .NET Framework 3.0 will still be one installation package, which is then going to be HUGE.

They'll split it into 3 distributions probably:

• .NET for Servers
    • .NET for Desktops/Laptops
    • Compact Framework
    The ASP.NET framework and other tidbits have been included in the .NET redistributable for a while now, even though they're never needed.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Makes sense, I was hoping they'd do this as it makes explaining requirements a lot easier.

I'd imagine the WinFX bits will ship as .NET 3.0 for downlevel clients (with .NET 2.0 as a prerequisite) and Vista will just have .NET 3.0 already installed. Or they might do one of those smart, download-the-bits-you-need installers that they seem to love so much those days.

• User profile image
    cwilliams11​45

Ooh, fun with numbers.  It seems kind of silly to call this 3.0 when the core library, compilers, and the CLR are not changing.  Should this not be a point release?

I see some confusion coming down the pike.  Up till now, major compiler releases have coincided with major framework releases.  That seems to be changing here.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Meanwhile, what happens to the other folks out there who have put any effort into learning .NET 1.0 or 1.1?

Depends on the market penetration of the various higher versions.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Maurits wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote: Meanwhile, what happens to the other folks out there who have put any effort into learning .NET 1.0 or 1.1?
    Depends on the market penetration of the various higher versions.
    But what about the corporations that have put money into building programs off the older frameworks? I know you can install them side by side (1.0 next to 2.0 next to...etc). This is beginning to look a lot like "Java" all over again. Will there be "depreciated" functions or anything like that? Or will be essentially the 2.0 framework with some extras? Which framework should a corporation target? I'm starting to see the potential for a lot of bloat here. It almost reminds me of the VB dll libraries, but worse.

Meanwhile, sales of any 1.0 and 2.0 framework books are now starting to plummet. Glad I'm not an author.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

It could have been worse. They could have renamed it  .Net Live

• User profile image
    Maurits

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    This is beginning to look a lot like "Java" all over again

Yup.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

from the blog

---
    When speaking to developers about WinFX one question that repeatedly comes up is, “WinFX sounds great, but what happens to .NET?” .NET Framework has becomes the most successful developer platform in the world.  Developers know and love .NET.
    ---

Is it only me or are other people starting to wonder about about people let lose with a compiler.  How hard is it to realise the WinFX is built on .NET?

On a different note, are they going to bump the build number to 3.0.XXXX for no good reason in the core framework?

• User profile image
    mawcc

I think that versioning of the .NET Framework will no longer mean simultaneous new versions of the libraries, CLR and compilers.
    .NET Framework 3.0 adds new libraries. The next version will probably add libraries (e.g. ADO.NET 3.0) and a new compiler (C# 3.0, running on the 2.0 runtime) and the version after that will probably have a new runtime.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PerfectPhase wrote:
    On a different note, are they going to bump the build number to 3.0.XXXX for no good reason in the core framework?

I doubt it.

My 1.1 assemblies are all 1.0.50xxx

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

From what I have heard, Linq is just an addon to the existing .net 2.0 framework.

As for WinFX - don't think they will change it this late in the day....

EDIT: WOW I missed it, thats what I get for spending time with the gf.

http://blogs.msdn.com/jackg/archive/2006/06/09/624438.aspx

BIG BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!! WOW NO NO NO NO NO DONT LIKE IT!!! BAD MOVE!

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

And InfoCard is now Windows CardSpace?

As in "We're about to make the jump into CardSpace"?

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Whats the deal with Linq then??

• User profile image
    raymond

mawcc wrote:
    Via Somasegar's Blog

He also states that

"
    The .NET Framework 3.0 is still comprised of the existing .NET Framework 2.0 components, including ASP.NET, WinForms, ADO.NET, additional base class libraries and the CLR, as well as new developer-focused innovative technologies in WPF, WCF, WF and WCS.
    "

Which I interpret that .NET Framework 3.0 will not include any of the new data access technologies like LINQ or ADO.NET (3.0?).

<edit>ASP.NET -> ADO.NET</edit>

You might be right, but I would have thought that the .NET Framework 3.0 would be including both LINQ and ADO.NET 3.0 as well as ASP.NET 3.0.

I thought the .NET Framework 3.0 would be included in the sever version of Windows Vista and that would be shipped with Visual Studio 7.0 in the fall of 2007. 

Some clarification from Microsoft would be helpful.Expressionless

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

WPF is just a display layer... who was confused about that?  Made sense to me.

• User profile image
    raymond

Make that Visual Studio 2007.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.