Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

So... who bought an "Origami"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cairo

They've been out for a little while, but I've not gotten to actually touch one. Have any of you used one, or bought one? What's it like? It seems like the hype/news on these things just disappeared.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

OcUK has them for £600

They seem like overpriced and oversized PocketPCs.

My recently acquired Dell Axim X51V has more 3D processing power than an Oragmi (I can play Quake 3 Arena at 30fps, w00t)

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

W3bbo wrote:
    OcUK has them for £600

They seem like overpriced and oversized PocketPCs.

My recently acquired Dell Axim X51V has more 3D processing power than an Oragmi (I can play Quake 3 Arena at 30fps, w00t)

Too darned expensive for the horsepower.

IMHO

• User profile image
    koorb

If you wanted the horsepower you would use a desktop.

• User profile image
    Rossj

koorb wrote:
    If you wanted the horsepower you would use a desktop.

Re-read Larry's post again, he said that the amount you paid bought you too little horsepower - not that he needed a huge amount, just that Origami was expensive for what you did get - which is probably why it flopped so bad.

• User profile image
    Angus

Isn't everyone using the wrong terminology here, or is it just me?

I thought that Project Origami was the OS that these Ultra Mobile PCs ran on, if this is correct shouldn't we be saying Ultra Mobile PCs instead of Origami?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Angus wrote:
    Isn't everyone using the wrong terminology here, or is it just me?

I thought that Project Origami was the OS that these Ultra Mobile PCs ran on, if this is correct shouldn't we be saying Ultra Mobile PCs instead of Origami?

Angus Higgins

You thought wrong.

The Oragami devices run a (sort of) bog-standard Windows XP installation, hence all the hype about why it's so good is because you can run all the apps you're used to.

....if you can bear running them at 800x600, that is.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Origami was the sexy project codename. Ultra Mobile PCs is the boring official marketing name (actually, I'm not even sure I got the name right, because it's so forgettable...)

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

To me they will always be Origamis and hopefully soon the horsepower should speed up enough to make them worth the $$.... I think its one heck of an idea and I've already started dreaming up some great uses for them..... now just make em faster

• User profile image
    irascian

They're an idea before their time. The technology isn't there yet to deliver on the expectations and promises. Hopefully it will be soon, but if you buy one today, given the limitations in power and battery life,  you've got more money than sense!

• User profile image
    jamie

irascian wrote:
    They're an idea before their time. The technology isn't there yet to deliver on the expectations and promises. Hopefully it will be soon, but if you buy one today, given the limitations in power and battery life,  you've got more money than sense!

agreed.
    one day the cost of an lcd wifi internet reader (rollable) will be akin to a calculator or casio watch Smiley

Edit: IF MS software is included - add 200$ haha

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

irascian wrote:
    I used an origami device for about two weeks.

Screen resolution was the biggest weakness, followed by battery life.  These are critical failings, IMHO, even at half the price.

If they increased the resolution to say 1066 x 600, and doubled the battery life, then the price is fine.  They could then lower the price by taking out some of the desktop-ness of it, say by removing the monitor port.

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

irascian wrote:

The technology is there... but the availability is not.

The battery issue is essentially one of the available lcd panels being intended for high-powered applications, like automobiles... and the backlighting draws far more power than a notebook lcd should.

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

Was neat but a waste of money, I see no real use for it IMO.  Its cool but thats about it.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Battery life was too low, price too high.  I'd like a magic device that had 8 hours of life for $500 to $750.

• User profile image
    Angus

I did think of getting an Ultra Mobile PC when they came out, but I decided against it, most of the reasons have been mentioned, basically I would have needed more power, a Tablet PC seemed more approporiate, although not totally necessary in my current life.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Angus wrote:
    although not totally necessary in my current life.

Right, so if we kill you now, then wait for your reincarnation, would you want one then?

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:

Angus wrote:although not totally necessary in my current life.

Right, so if we kill you now, then wait for your reincarnation, would you want one then?

I personally reject the doctrine of reincarnation, so I don't believe that if you killed me a reincarnation would happen, and therefore I couldn't want a Tablet PC. You, being a Liberal Roman Catholic (If I remember correctly (Correct me if I am incorrect)) do not reject this doctrine, therefore I can understand why you asked.

Source: [Link] - (Any disputes about the information that I gained from the source should be disputed with the creator/last editor of the source.)

Angus Higgins

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.